1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Swindon scores WiFi mesh

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 18 Nov 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

I think this is a great idea, I would love other local authoritys to do the same. I think enough people would upgrade to higher speeds. Especially if they do undercut rival suppliers.

3. Bonzo45

Bonzo45 Ex CPC

That sounds really good, Cambridge next please!!! That would be so handy, like when you're out and about you could get out your laptop, use it as a SatNav using Google Earth or compare the price of something you see in the shops with Amazon there and then. It's these kind of situations that happen enough to be annoying, but not enough to warrant you paying for mobile internet.

If they could roll out a worldwide system like this I certainly wouldn't mind a pay-as-you go type system, so long as the price isn't ridiculous.

4. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

There is already a similar scheme for the City of London, however most people who need mobile internet, can already get it through their phone or dongles. If you think about it, to surf the internet you need a smartphone or netbook (I can't see a day tripper hulking a desktop replacement lappy with them, just to browse their e-mails), and most of them already come with a data package.

The real issue in the UK, is who will pay to fibre the last mile, to provide the 100+ mb connections that we need to remain productive, and DL 1080p videos of ninja cats from Youtube!

Last edited: 18 Nov 2009
  5. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

In 10 years time scientists will discover that WiFi fries brains. UL Swindon!

Turbotab if the mesh works well then maybe a few booster masts between Swindon and far out villages would solve the fibre issue?

6. LithiumDesign

LithiumDesign 3dsMax User

Yay for me and my soon to be fried brain...

7. Spiny

Spiny New Member

With any luck it'll sterilise the town centre & cut down on the teenage pregnancy rate :)

8. Matticus

Matticus ...

Sounds very cool. But what if you upgrade to the 20mb/s service and for instance want to download some legal torrents or play some games and you need to open up ports? How will that happen or will all ports just be open in some sort of crazy free for all.

It sounds very good for browsing the net about town, but wouldn't appeal to me as my own home broadband.

9. Artanix

Artanix puts the king in Lurking.

its an interesting idea, but i'm not sure what sort of service they're gonna try and offer for the price of £1 million. Boosters could sort out the fibre issues, but then you run into the fact that 1 access point can only serve so many users at once before you start getting nasty error rates, unless something changed i'm fairly sure 802.11g is effectively half duplex (send OR recieve, well collision avoidance, but whatever)... i'm not sure how many users could connect before the service starts getting bad?

10. labr@t

labr@t New Member

ya for council snooping they will have a field day

11. Flax

Flax New Member

I was under the impression the ISM bands were reserved for non-commercial use?

12. Woodspoon

Woodspoon New Member

Piracy ahoy!

how do they plan to block pirates on an open network?
    SInce the government's been going mentalist and saying it's clamping down on piracy, how is this going to do anything other than make it worse?
    Nice idea but it's yet another kick in the nuts for our massively over subscribed creakey old networks.

13. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Sounds great if you can't afford broadband, but when you can get mobile internet for £5/month on any of the major networks, I'd be much happier using my phone.

14. feedayeen

feedayeen New Member

Woodspoon, didn't you hear? The MPAA shut down Coshocton, Ohio's city wide WiFi over a single download.

15. culley

culley New Member

I don't see this as a replacement for your home internet, so many times i've thought to myself i wish i was connected to wi-fi because my 3G or EDGE connection blows, its just a convience.

And the more hardcore user who can't take the speed but can fork up the bill can choose the 20MB/s package.

I just want 4G in the uk that looks like the dogs bollocks right there, and coverage shouldn't be a problem this islands tiny!

16. Shagbag

Shagbag All glory to the Hypnotoad!

Great news.

**begins downloading latest sources from trunk (nmap, wireshark, metasploit, etc.)**

17. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

But surely the good people of Swindon will be too busy with the beauty of their natural habitat to be distracted by such things? ;)

18. shanky887614

shanky887614 New Member

yes but the problem is who is going to pay for the internet if this happens because its not going to be cheap and i have the feeling it will be extra taxes either to the country or in the places this is happening

me i would rather have everyone to pay for internet becasue if you can't afford the internet you certanly can't afford a computer

19. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

now that's how you spend tax money! *approved

20. des@swindon

des@swindon New Member

It sounds great and they intend to start 7 December. However, it now appears there is a time limit of 2 hours usage and so far they haven't said whether this is per day, week or month. The free period is 3 months but they are unable to say how much the 20Mb package will cost after the free period. They say they will install 1,400 access points but haven't said where or whether they will require planning consents etc.

The 'commercial' guys accept the hardest task will be to persuade current users to change suppliers

The best bit is that the Council will not say how much of taxpayers pounds they have 'invested'

Given only 24 hrs earlier the council said they ahd a £3million shortfall to make up and this would require prioritising todays announcement is mind boggling.

:duh:

Tags: Add Tags