1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Switch or Hub?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Xenith, 17 Oct 2008.

1. Xenith

Xenith What's a Dremel?

Hey all, I was wondering if someone could explain to me the difference between using a hub and a switch?
    The problem I am facing is that I only have one ethernet port in my dormroom that is active, but I have 3 things to plug in (desktop, laptop, xbox360). Wireless works to some extent, but gives me very low performance, so I'd much rather have them all just plugged into ethernet ports for faster connections. I am not allowed to use a router (school rules..) so i was trying to find an alternative? From looking at hubs and switches, it looks like one of those could be what im looking for... but im really not sure. I don;t know too much about networking.. I'm hoping that a switch could be used (theyre cheaper ^.^). Any help, or suggestions would be great!

Thanks!

2. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

you want a switch. i don't really know too much about the networking stuff so i can't say why, but i'm using a switch right now for the exact same purpose and it works great.

3. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

let's say you have a 100mbit switch/hub.

with the switch each line gets 100mbit. with a hub, it's total. not to mention you have all kinds of packet collisions and such. avoid hubs.

4. NickElliott

NickElliott What's a Dremel?

Yup, hubs are fairly basic whereas a switch has more intelligence and should ensure better performance. I'm surprised you say the switch is cheaper 'cos it is usually the other way round.

5. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Yeah, switch Cheesecake.

A switch is basically a more intelligent hub.
    Hubs take a packet in on one interface and then broadcast that packout out on every other interface it has.

A switch takes it in and maintains a list of which PCs are connected and then sends the packet out only on the port the destination PC is on.
    If it doesn't know where the PC is it'll broadcast it to all ports like a hub.

Depending what that port in your room goes to, you may not get either to work.
    Some uni halls allow you only one IP and actually map that ip through to a public IP statically.
    Mainly for the ability to have tracability if they get contacted by authorities about illegal activity originating in their IP range.

If anyone else has it working (using a switch or hub, not a router) then you're laughing, get a switch or hub (switch preferably but whichever is cheaper tbh since you'll only have 3 devices connected) and hook it all up. :)

6. Xenith

Xenith What's a Dremel?

awesome!
    thanks for the help everyone!