1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Switchable headphone/speaker amp

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by David, 31 Jul 2020.

1. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

My son has a turntable that outputs via Bluetooth or a pair of red/white RCA leads.

I have a pair of bookshelf speakers that are better quality than his kitsound BT speakers, but he needs something to control the volume. The turntable doesn't have volume control.

He's looking for a small affordable headphone type amp that will accept input from his turntable and have volume control and switchable output between wired headphones and the speakers.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

You need to find out if the turntable's RCA output is regular or what a record deck used to have. I forget the name now, but a turntable's RCA output was very different to a tape or CD player. The phono stage on the amp was dedicated to the deck, and you couldn't use it for anything else. If you plugged anything else in it would be really distorted.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-MM-...918976?hash=item3b22620280:g:AJQAAOSwooxeqsZA

That is a phono stage mini pre amp. You can pass it through to active speakers, and or use it as a headphone amp too.

David likes this.
  3. David

The turntable is a Sony PS-LX310BT. Is does have a built in phono stage.

Thanks for the link, but it doesn't look like the output is switchable. I think I need to do some more research

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

It has a built in phono stage, so you can either use it and run it regular RCA or enable it and plug it into a dedicated phono stage. Found this in the review on WHF?

That said, you can improve the PS-LX310BT without much investment. If you already own an integrated amp or dedicated phono preamp, we’d recommend flipping the Sony PS-LX310BT’s line out switch to ‘phono’ and using it.

So you can use either. So, any headphone amp will pretty much do the job, just make sure it has a pass through so you can pass it into speakers or an amp etc.

David likes this.
  5. David

Oh, interesting. He'll have to make do with plugging his headphones in, rather than switching outputs.

I'll wave this under his nose when he surfaces - 19 yr olds really can't bounce back quickly after a night on the tiles.

[edit] Where are my manners? Thank you.

Last edited: 1 Aug 2020
    Vault-Tec likes this.