1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Switching phone contract

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GeorgeStorm, 28 Feb 2020.

1. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Hi,
    As above, I'm considering switching phone contract as I just had to pay to get some extra data this month as apparently I used more than I normally do, so figured it was worth a look around, I tend to be well under the 5gb but going over once costs an extra £10 for 1gb so worth looking to have a slightly higher cap I think!

Currently pay £9.51 for 5gb/1500mins/unlimited texts.
    I checked giffgaff this morning and looks like for £10 I could get 10gb/unlimited/unlimited.
    So that's an easy upgrade I would think, but thought I'd ask around for what options might be available as it's been a while since I've done anything so not really sure where to look anymore!

In general wanting more data and to stay at £10 or under ideally :)

Thanks

2. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

My lad went Giffgaff about 6 weeks ago and is so happy with it, I realised what a great deal they are and switched myself and my wife a few weeks later after being with Tesco pay as u go ever since I had a phone.

The 10gb package is £12 though as that's the one my lad is on, we make do with the £6 packages as we only use data very rarely anyway (500mb) and as from the 26th of feb all packages come with unlimited texts and calls. My lad went out of his way to try and use up his 10gb but only managed to get to 8gb and that was only because he accidently downloaded something at 2gb.

Happy to refer you if you like which means you'll get some free credit so if you go over your data allowance it just gets taken out of that.

3. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

£10 a month for 10GB data is about as good as you'll get. I recently moved from EE to Virgin, adding an unlimited data SIM card to my Virgin TV & broadband to go triple play and it was £10 a month extra - if you have VM it's well worth it.

As long as you are happy with the coverage etc with Giffgaff, I'd go for it, I don't think you'll get much cheaper - for example, the cheapest EE unlimited data SIM is £34 a month, £20 a month gets you 20GB - hell, EE charge £13 a month for 250MB!

Edit: according to USwitch, 3 and VM are doing 8GB for £8 per month, an outfit called "Smarty" are doing 30GB for £10 per month (never heard of them), Sky Mobile are doing 10GB for £10 a month, 3 are doing 10GB for £12 a month, Vodafone are doing 10GB for £10 a month.

Worth comparing on sites like USwitch.

Last edited: 28 Feb 2020
  4. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I use Smarty (referall link)

It costs a pound a GB if you go over and they pay you back a pound a Gb if you don't use it all, so I pay 13quid for 8Gb but as I don't use it all I often only pay approx 7 a month.

They have more trad tariffs such as 30Gb for a £10, 50Gb for £15 and unlimited for £20 but no pay back, it is also rolling month, no contract/credit checks etc. I put my daughter on a trad 30Gb one and she use data more than me, i have her in a group plan to get money off, so it cost me £9 a month for her 30Gb plan.

Quite like Sky mobile also, put my missus on this, it is 10 quid for 8 or 10Gb but any data you don't use is banked for upto 3 yrs and can be shared between family members or used at peak times. Suits the model of us only needing big data on holidays.

Last edited: 28 Feb 2020
  5. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Cheapest unlimited data I found was 3 @ £18 a month.

6. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

FYI Giffgaff use O2's network if you want to check coverage.

7. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

My previous contract was with O2 and after being with orange/EE for years, was surprised how big a difference the network coverage was, to o2's detriment. A number of my partners family are on giffgaff and they have a hard time getting enough signal for a solid call connection, let's alone anything else.

8. GeorgeStorm

I'm currently with VM and I called this mortning saying I was thinking of switching and I think the best I was offered was £12 for 8gb or something. It may have included a phone as well which I guess I could have sold? (never had a phone on contract).
    Not bothered about unlimited data as it's rare for me to go over 5gb, but since it's happened a couple of times makes sense to bump it a little to be safe I think if the cost isn't much higher.

The Smarty pay back thing seems cool, only see a 3gb option on the site though?

Might give VM another call thought about the £8 for 8gb deal.

9. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Strange, not sure why, but they have recently reviewed their tariffs and for the first time ever a subscription i have actually went down by 2 quid, so they seem good to me :D particularly as I have a 45Gb data buff for a year which was a sign up feature.

10. GeorgeStorm

Just gave them another ring and got someone else and was offered 10gb/5000mins/unlimited text for £9 so think I'll just go for that as it's the simplest hah.

11. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

12. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Just keep an eye on the bill. Weird experiences on my wife's contract.

1) promised discounts not applying, even after multiple chasing.

2) this is weird. You make a facetime call, for some reason the over data call doesn't happen but instead triggers a direct telephone dial (in our case India!). Had this happen a few times and in the end had to turn on a spending cap to stop it getting crazy. My internet research led me to find that this also happened on WhatsApp for people.