1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Syncing files and settings across a desktop and a laptop?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tetsugaku-San, 22 Aug 2007.

1. Tetsugaku-San

Tetsugaku-San What's a Dremel?

Hi Everyone - it's time I threw myself on your collected wisdom once again after such impressive successes before :)

Right well I'm a web designer, I work exclusively on my home pc right now, which is also my gaming pc, music pc and fileserver.... I have a shiny new Dell laptop arriving in about two weeks and I have just realised I am going to be having some probelms with file syncing.

** I need to sync my entire music folder, inc. podcast files, each time both machines are on.

** I need to sync a folder with my websites in, each time both machines are on.

** I need to sync whatever file Itunes uses to keep track of what podcasts you have and haven't watched each time both machines are on.

the desktop is XP Pro SP2, and the Lappy is Vista Business. Both will connect over WiFi to my secured home network.

If any of you can throw me a bone with this one I'd be very appreciative, thanks very much for any and all of your time :D

Hope your all having a good day :D

2. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

I was in a similar situation about a year ago, I found a program called SmartSync Pro that works really well for me, you tell it which folders you want synced and how you want it to decide which file to copy ( Latest modified, largest file etc) and it does it all for you. It cost $30 as a download but theres a demo that runs for 30 days so you can see if its what you want. Im sure there are other similar programs out there, probably some freeware ones if you look hard enough.

Moriquendi