1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Syndicate Preview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 17 Nov 2011.

1. mighty_pirate

mighty_pirate What's a Dremel?

I loved Syndicate & would also have preferred a remake in that same style. But we're not getting that, we're getting this & this doesn't look too bad unless you're in a huff about not getting something else.

I play FPS games, I like them. There are an awful lot of them these days, but that doesn't change those facts. Linearity isn't a bad thing either, it doesn't offer the joys of diversion & emergent gameplay that something like Skyrim might, but I like a nice linear game once in a while.
    I like Left 4 Dead, Deus Ex, Mass Effect & Syndicate & if this games takes small influences from all of those then it's off to a decent start. It doesn't sound perfect, but if the info coming out in the run is promising (as this review is overall), it's a reasonable price & the launch doesn't clash with something that looks better then I'll give it a play. There's no point writing it off before you do.

2. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan What's a Dremel?

Wiki'd Starbreeze just now to get a bit of perspective on this story. Although their previous titles rate highly, unfortunately I still find myself feeling rather bitter about this whole Syndicate revival, especially due to the medium that this modern Syndicate story is being delivered in... FPS...

Kinda gutted with this news. I guess I'll go back to playing Corsix Theme Hospital for another couple of years.

3. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

This is the kind of game that I'm torn over.

I played the original to death on the Amiga, so I look through very rosy glasses at my experiences.
    What we have to realise is that it is very unlikely that anyone could have raised the money or gained the rights to remake Syndicate the way we would wish because the market just isn't there for a PC-based dystopian, sci-fi, strategy game, when EA thinks the IP can rake in the mega-bucks via a console FPS release.
    Which is a shame because a new Syndicate could be good with a modern engine, or even an older engine like that of Company of Heroes. Just probably not a best seller.

And now for the other side of my mind, a FPS Syndicate didn't have to be bad, just as the FPS Fallouts weren't. Others may disagree on the FPS Fallouts, but I liked them better, and going back to an isometric RPG may have appealed to "Ye Olde Time" fanboys but those who have loved the reboots would have missed out on a couple of great games. And there are a lot more of us than there are of you.

4. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

:( why why why why another fps!
    Suppose as they are all concentrating on consoles that producing Syndicate Wars 2 and or Dungeon Keeper 3 is out of the equation as they wouldn't work well on bloody consoles

5. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

This is not syndicate.
    It makes me sad.
    Bring back the original.

6. eVoPhantom

eVoPhantom What's a Dremel?

My only reason for giving this any benefit of the doubt comes from Starbreeze who have a pretty decent record.

The Darkness was excellent.

7. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

All of the above. It's not how it should have been done but it will make more money. Life imitating art?

8. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

Just Another Console Shooter.

How are the mighty fallen. :(

9. Hakuren

Hakuren What's a Dremel?

Syndicate was one and it was strategy-tactical game. This is just cheap attempt to rip-off older players to buy this rubbish because of the name.

Recently finished another campaign in Syndicate. Never will touch this new garbage.

10. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

linear gameplay with pretty graphic FPS?

sooo....... its another CoD/BF3 clone that tries to be Deus Ex?

i dont like where this is going :(

11. sear

sear What's a Dremel?

I can't wait for the horrible, broken PC version which EA never bothers supporting.

12. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

I read no further.

13. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Good old times.. I played Syndicate on Amiga then on PC. Brilliant game, many happy hours:)
    Looking forward to this one, even if it won't be the same...

14. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

Despite it not being closely based on the old Amiga game I knew and loved of old (I still have a working A1200!) I am eagely looking forward to this.

Now.... where's my Gauss Gun :)

15. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I will give this the benefit of the doubt, for now, simply because of its roots. The game on the Amiga actually came with my bundle when I got my 1200, and it gave me many hours of fun. I don't even like strategy games these days, but those oldies..Syndicate, Hereos (later) and the very first Dune...aah many happy hours.

16. UncleSlug

UncleSlug What's a Dremel?

Needs more Persuadertron.

Ahh the memories of creating armies of persuaded people.

17. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

aaaaah well.......looks like its time to dig out the amiga original and play through it again.

18. Panos

Panos Minimodder

Syndicate and XCOM (and Terror from the Deep), were the best strategies in the 90s. Especially the last two were ridiculous big, clocking hundreds of hours on mere few floppy disks space!

Who forgets the laser guns evaporating everything, or the machine guns creating havoc? Tier 3 implants 4TW :D

19. SafirXP

SafirXP What's a Dremel?

I remember playing Syndicate when we got our first "multimedia kit". Early 90s I think. :D Creative 2.1 speakers, an sound card (ISA bus) and a 2x CD-ROM drive. Came with games like Syndicate, Ultimate 8: Pagan, etc. Those two games had such an impact on me. What I remember the most about Syndicate is that tense atmosphere. The background music, the gentle pace of the missions, then outta nowhere a battle would start and all hell would break loose. Sigh...

20. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

hmmm me thinks i will dos box and go look for the orginal syndicate, i know its out there for free as i was playing it about 15 months ago.

Tags: Add Tags