1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Synology DS411J - do you have one?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bumfluff101, 29 Dec 2011.

1. Bumfluff101

Bumfluff101 Minimodder

Hi, does anyone stream uncompressed blu-ray isos from a DS411J to an HTPC?

I am thinking of replacing my freenas server with the DS but read a review here which said HD playback was jumpy until the jumbo frame rate was increased (whatever that means).
    The DS would be connected to the HTPC through a pair of solwise 500AV homeplugs if that makes a difference (I can’t seem to find out if the homeplugs support jumbo frame rates)

At the moment I can stream from the freenas server without any probs (AMD Semp 145, 2gb ram) but the DS only has 1.2Ghz, 125mb ram do you think this will be an issue?

Thanks

2. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

The DS411J should work as the blu-ray standard only allows op to 54 Mb/s, which falls well short of the 17 MB/s average that the DS411J offers. However, if what you have is working, then why are you considering upgrading?

3. Bumfluff101

Bumfluff101 Minimodder

Thanks, just looking to use the current server hardware for something else and I want to use something with a bit more 'polish' than freenas

4. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

follow the golden rule.

It's not broken?

Don't try to fix it.

seriously streaming can be a real pain and 1.2 GHz with that amount of ram is very little for Blu-ray.

5. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

I'd be amazed if you homeplugs support it. Jumbo frames is a feature which means that each frame can carry more then 1500 bytes. It only really found on top end networking hardware and homeplugs aren't in that league.

6. |V| 4 L k i 3 R

|V| 4 L k i 3 R Minimodder

I am using a ReadyNAS NV+ as a server/host for all of my media. I can stream full size ripped BluRays from this just fine over GigE.

Also, possibly look into the Drobo series?

7. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Any NAS is going to have performance limitations when it's running with homeplugs.