1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other System just died - what could it be?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Nodule, 29 Jan 2010.

1. Nodule

Nodule What's a Dremel?

About an hour ago my system started acting erratically - lots of "Windows explorer has stopped working" everytime I tried to copy a file. I rebooted to see what effect that would have, and after the normal boot sequence it hung just between POST and initial Windows load up. So I tried rebooting again, but this time nothing. Fans come on, lights turn on on the motherboard but there is no beeps, no POST, no anything. I'm guessing this is a hardware problem as I can imagine a bad Windows crash messing up a hard drive, but it shouldn't touch the BIOS.

I've tried:
    * resetting CMOS
    * taking all peripherals out including all RAM bar one stick and rebooting with just GFX, CPU, 1 RAM in B1 and a keyboard attached (not even SSD and HDD)
    * resetting CPU and GFX card, checking to see if coolers had come away (they hadn't).

What I want to do is find out what part of the system is at fault so I can start incurring warrenties. Anyone have any idea a) what the problem might be, b) how I can diagnose which element of hardware (if it iis hardware) is causing the fault?

I'm guessing it's not:
    * the GFX - no display, but also no beeping suggests that its not graphics (thinking about it, does the P6TD2 have an internal beeper?)
    * RAM - I tried a couple of sticks in the B1 slot without any other RAM sticks in there
    * there is power to the fans and also the CD player - does this mean it is unlikely to be the PSU?

What I'm not sure is how to determine whether it is a blown CPU or MB (and am I right re the PSU?)

System is 920 D0, P6T Deluxe 2, 5870, 6GB Corsair Dominator RAM, 850W Corsair HX PSU, W7 x64. Nothing was overclocked on this system. Crucial M225 128GB SSD + SDamsung F3 1TB.

Last edited: 29 Jan 2010
  2. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

possibly the mobo, something might have just given out and failed. I doubt it's the CPU - usually if there is something wrong with a CPU it is apparent right away on system build.

3. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

I rub it then you do it.. no see- agree with omni probably the mb from what you described.. it could be the cpu also but that's kinda rare- haven't seen one just go like that.. have seen a mb go belly up- same symptoms no beeps and seems everything is dead but fans/cd/drives.. the cpu turned up ok in another board

the psu might as well check the voltages with a ohmeter to get that one out of the way

4. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

The lack of punctuation and general knowledge of how to type English in some of the threads I've read here recently is depressing...

That was not directed at the OP of this thread nor is it limited to this thread.

5. theskirrid

theskirrid What's a Dremel?

@Unicorn: Then why bother adding that sentiment to this thread? It's hardly helpful. There must be a rant thread sumwherezzz 4 U

Nodule: It's most likely board failure, as I've never known a CPU fail like that.
    I've had a few machines fail like yours over the years. Recently it's been North Bridges cooking themselves on those mental BTX format Dell POS's. The symptoms are the same as yours in most cases.
    No BIOS beeps always suggests board or CPU, and CPU failure is very rare. It almost certainly won't be PSU.

6. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

my first guess would be the mobo. looking on newegg - there are over 100 1 and 2 egg reviews, most of them being "it worked great for 3, 4, 5, 6 months - then just died".

and they almost all give exactly the same symptoms that you are seeing.

7. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

It certainly looks like there's no speaker on the board from what I can see on the Asus site. Plug one in and go from there.

Usually if it looks like it's powering up, the CPU should be okay. If it still doesn't beep but turns on, try the following (it's worked for me twice now) - take the hsf off then take the cpu out of the socket and give the cpu socket a good lungful of air - you may even see something being blown out of the socket. Plug it all back together and give it another go. As mentioned, I've done this twice - the first time was when I replaced a cpu. The system worked fine with the old cpu and with the new it wasn't posting. After doing the above a sliver of black plastic flew out and it worked fine after that. The second time I did it, on someone elses PC that posted erratically, a small clump of dust flew out and it too worked fine from then. Strange I know, but perhaps worth a go.

8. Nodule

Nodule What's a Dremel?

Good advice all, and good spot re the MB beeper (there isn't one).

Plugging in a speaker, when I switch on after a fairly lengthy time I get the Windows entry tune - hooray! (assume its longer than usual as its counting down on the Windows Didn't Start Properly screen).

Given this, is it unlikely to be my MB and likely to be my GFX card? It would seem obvious but that doesn't quite explain why the machine went mental with "Explorer isn't responding" errors just before all this started - is this consistent with MB. Unfortunately I had a clear out recently and the only other card I've got is an old bust 4870 - the breaking of which caused me to build this system in fact. I'm sort of tempted to nip down to the local PC merchant and buy the cheapest PCIE card I can find as a general tester. The other option of course is that it is my monitor, but again that doesn't really explain the strange system behaviour - presumably it would just stop.

My thoughts are to get the cheapo GFX and test. If all works hunky dory its the 5870 (and I can RMA), if it doesn't then presumably its the monitor (which I can replace anyway - nice excuse for an upgrade and its payday) or the MB (which I can RMA).

This sound a good plan?

9. Nodule

Nodule What's a Dremel?

Aaaah. Tried to boot it this morning and it boots now but occasionally it freezes and very occasionally the initial memory test doesn't get all the memory! So now I'm utterly confused and back to square 1:

1. Is if the GFX card that has somehow overheated and has now cooled down - but can a wonky GFX cause freezes, apparent failing memory etc?
    2. Is it the RAM but can failing RAM cause a lack of display on initial boot, even if the PC itself appears to get through to Windows login (I'll run Memtest tonight to see what happens)
    3. Is it the MB which is now my favourite option as it would explain lack of display, intermittent crashes and apparent failing memory - but with a failing MB that isn't outputting a display occasionally is it reasonable to assume that the rest of it will work to allow the PC to get through to Windows login?

Apologies for the changing circumstances.