1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows System Performance, expectations and perspective

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Hrodwulf666, 5 Dec 2010.

1. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

You could run 3dmark 06 and vantage just to see if your pc falls in line with pc's of the same spec.

I pressume components are in a case that has good ventilation and none of the vents are being obstructed.

2. Hrodwulf666

Hrodwulf666 Arse about tit master!

Hi Working class, otis, javaman.

It says in other settings that there is 6gb ram, so im unsure why it said 4... other wierd readings from bench marks said that my cpu was only using 1 core of 8???(or something)
    Its clear I need to check more benchmarks and do temp tests.
    I'm not sure how to change page file settings?

I'm going back to the company that built it with this, I sent them an email earlier. I hope they get back to me soon.

3. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

fresh install?
    virus
    virus scanner
    check all processes

4. Hrodwulf666

I have an antec 300 with many fans, there is space behind the pc to vent the hot air. I have looked at 3d mark but will do so in greater detail later. thanks erratum.

5. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

ignore me, instead think of a panda dancing the funky chicken while eating noodles.

6. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

The problems I've had with CoD are USUALLY related to the damn piece of **** punkbuster that refuses to update itself. So run manual update on that sucker and see if it helps. I also remember the problem being the sound driver back in the day with CoD2 I believe, but it definitely isn't your lacking GPU-horsepower! I have otherwise lesser system but GTX470 and I sure as hell can max that game at 1920x1200.

Also to the rest of the bunch: many people seem to be OK with rather low average FPS, and then go around telling how they max this and that and run smoothly what ever games. Personally I get very frustrated very soon if I see an FPS-drop, and so I run most of my games at rather low settings, just to make sure I hit that 60 FPS most of the time. (and please, don't come telling how 30 is all it takes as human eye is even fooled by a 24 fps film...)

Oh and also it's definitely your GPU that's bottle-necking your gaming performance. The rest of the system is superb, but 460 just isn't up to the same performance level. SLI would help.

7. workingclass

workingclass What's a Dremel?

What you should do is remove all overclocks for testing purposes. You can maybe save your oc profile in bios so you can restore it later. Set your mobo to default settings and see if that doesn't improve things.

If that doesn't work:

Try pressing start and writing msconfig and then press enter. Try under boot > advanced settings to tick the box "number of processors " and set to maximum. Reboot and run a game or a benchmark. Note that this setting is for troubleshooting purposes and should not be required to have your system utilize all cores. Change back when finished.

Don't know what else you could do but this is more likely a hardware failure or some sort of wrong setting that is the cause of the problem then anything else so a clean install should not be required and might not fix the problem.

Edit:
    Let's be clear that your system should handle all of those games you have much better then you are saying they do. SLI will not help you if you have a fundamental problem in your hardware if that problem is not fixed. I have a 260GTX and it handles all those games very well at 1680x1050. Yours should trounce that.

8. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

I would say case air flow isn't a problem. the three hundred is a great case. Maybe something isn't seated properly. Could also be a faulty ram module or a mobo problem if it isn't reporting all the ram present tho last time that happend on my old dell I got BSOD on boot up.

great point Jippa, I was assuming the results where below 30 but I know a few people wont play anything unless the mins are over 60 never mind the averages.

What results are you getting in the Benchmarks anyway and who was the system bought from?

depending what benchmark you ran you could of been running a single core only one rather than a multi threaded version.

9. Hrodwulf666

In control panel - System and security - system it says that I have 6.00 of installed memory

In my display settings - advanced settings it says that I have:

3835 mb Total available graphics memory

1024 mb Dedicated video memory

0 mb system video memory

2811 mb shared system memory...

In performance information and tools it says:

Memory (ram) 6.00gb

Number of processor cores 4

not sure if this info is infallible???

10. Hrodwulf666

For some reason its displaying that direct x 10 is installed???

11. Hrodwulf666

heres the 3d mark 6 score: 23117 3DMarks

Ive compared to people with a similar set up and many score considerably higher than me...

and system info:

ProcessorProcessorIntel Core i7-930 Processor
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Processor clock3800 MHz
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Physical / logical processors1 / 8

# of cores4
    Graphics CardGraphics CardNVIDIA GeForce GTX 460

# of cards1

SLI / CrossFireOff

Memory0 MB

Core clock0 MHz

Memory clock0 MHz

Driver nameNVIDIA GeForce GTX 460

Driver version8.17.12.6099

Driver statusFM Approved
    GeneralOperating system64-bit Windows 7 (6.1.7600)

MotherboardASUSTeK Computer INC. P6X58D-E

Hard drive model

Memory6144 MB

Module 12048 MB Corsair DDR3 @ 667 MHz

Module 22048 MB Corsair DDR3 @ 667 MHz

Module 32048 MB Corsair DDR3 @ 667 MHz

Detailed scores3DMark Score23117.0 3DMarks

SM2.0 Score9326.0

HDR/SM3.0 Score10572.0

CPU Score6605.0

Game ScoreN/A

GT1 - Return To Proxycon79.66 FPS

GT2 - Firefly Forest75.77 FPS

CPU1 - Red Valley2.25 FPS

CPU2 - Red Valley3.11 FPS

HDR1 - Canyon Flight111.16 FPS

HDR2 - Deep Freeze100.29 FPS

Fill Rate - Single-TexturingN/A

Fill Rate - Multi-TexturingN/A

Pixel ShaderN/A

Vertex Shader - SimpleN/A

Vertex Shader - ComplexN/A

Shader Particles (SM3.0)N/A

Perlin Noise (SM3.0)N/A

8 TrianglesN/A

32 TrianglesN/A

128 TrianglesN/A

512 TrianglesN/A

2048 TrianglesN/A

32768 TrianglesN/A SettingsDefault settings usedYes

Width1280

Height1024

Anti-AliasingNone

Texture FilteringOptimal

VS Profile3_0

PS Profile3_0

Force full precisionNo

Disable HW shadow mappingNo

Disable post-processingNo

Force software vertex shaderNo

Color mipmapsNo

Force software FP filteringNo

Repeat testsOff

Fixed framerateOff

Last edited: 6 Dec 2010
  12. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Yeah something aint quite right. You should be able to eat Battlefield at max settings. Im doing that with a GTX 460 and an overclocked Core 2 Due 8600 @ 3.8GHz.

13. javaman

Are you using windows 32 bit by any chance?

14. workingclass

I recommend you try running something more all-around like Sandra benchmark. If it still works like it used to you get a free stress test/benchmark and you get a comparison table with components similar to your own. That way you could find out what is bottlenecking your system.

It seems you only have 6GB RAM installed for some reason but its likely unrelated to the performance problem since a faulty RAM module would crash your system, not slow it down.

If you got the time you can defragment your computer. I recommend Defraggler but the built in Windows one is fine too. Might help a bit with stuttering if that is a part of your problem. Have you checked for resources intensive background tasks ?

Your 3dmark scores seem reasonable after I've checked the internet for comparison but I don't use it myself so check for yourself. A difference of 1-2000 is not enough to explain your performance problems as they are severe and not within a 2-5% error margin.

Make sure Vertical Sync is off while testing games as this will allow the graphics card to render as fast as it can, not as fast as requested. If you want to continue to try and solve this you should download FRAPS and check framerates in those games you play and post results with info on resolution and AA+AF.

line2008 likes this.
  15. Hrodwulf666

Javaman: im using Windows 7 64bit

Workingclass: I have 6 gbs of ram installed, 3 dimms of 2gb's... I'm unsure why it previouslys aid only 4 but havent seen that since...can I discount ram as an issue??
    Thanks for your suggestions, I have defragged the system, but will do so again with the software you have reccomended, I will try Sandra also, I think ive used that before in the distant past. Thanks again for all your help Ill post my findings later tonight.

16. Hrodwulf666

Get a reply from my manufacturer

"There is currently an issue with the Ram misreporting on the Asus X58 boards, we have had Thomas from Asus here working on a fix and there is a bios update that may well help with this issue which I can send to you if you need the issue with performance looks like it does relate to the Ram dropping"

Result, just have to send them the info from the sticks and email it to them.

17. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

Disable Hyperthreading on your CPU.

18. workingclass

Good news, hope it works out. Let us know how it goes.

19. javaman

fingers crossed for you that it solves the problem :thumb:

20. Hrodwulf666

Cheers Gentlemen! Heres to hoping!