1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows System Reserved Partition

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Cei, 24 Jun 2012.

1. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

When I re-installed W7 on to my new 128GB M4 SSD, I noticed that that setup had created a new drive partition - a 100MB "System Reserved" to be exact. Firstly, I've never see this before on a W7 install, and secondly, it's full and is annoying the hell out of me as Windows keeps wanting to tell me that it is full.

So, can this partition be removed? Why is it there? How do I get rid of it? :duh:

2. digitaldunc

digitaldunc What's a Dremel?

It's generally created automagically with new W7 installs. Contains the bootloader and allows for bitlocker functionality should you decide to utilise that -- also contains a copy of the recovery environment.

You can remove it and extend the Windows partition but you'll break your bootloader -- there are ways around it (Google)

I'd suggest leaving it alone unless you really need the extra space.

3. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

it is normal, but the system reserved partition is normally hidden.

you cant just delete it, as that may stop the sytem from booting.

does it have a drive letter? if so you can hide it by removing the drive letter

open elevated cmd prompt, type diskpart, it may open another cmd prompt, but that is actually diskpart

type list volume
    then select volume {number of the system reserved volume}
    then remove letter {drive letter of system reserved volume}

4. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

As far as I know the only way to avoid getting it on a new install is to partition your SSD before you begin the installation. Then you can just format the existing partition during setup and Windows will leave it alone.

5. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Great, thanks everybody.

As it stands, it has for some reason been given a drive letter. I'll simply hide it!