1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tagan BZ 600w

Discussion in 'Tagan / Seasonic / SilverPower' started by mayhem, 26 Jun 2009.

1. mayhem

mayhem Owner of Mayhems

Hi there ive got a Tagan BZ 600w and the fan is making a racket every now and then (sounds like the fan is hitting some thing but not all the time). How do i go about getting this fixed.

2. mayhem

mayhem Owner of Mayhems

Oky been running some more tests.

When running GPU intensive tasks the Power supply is screaming at me as in Noise . Not fan noise But some sort of really loud electrical noise.

This is pritty dammed worrying.

3. mayhem

mayhem Owner of Mayhems

do u read these or just not bother.

4. Nathan@Nanopoint

Nathan@Nanopoint Ctrl Alt Del

Hi Mayhem

Sorry but your first post was on Friday at 5.30pm, we generally offer support weekdays 9am until 5pm unless we are made aware of an issue before hand.

This problem sounds familiar and if it’s the problem that I suspect then it’s a common problem but it’s not actually down the PSU.
    Can you check your motherboard bios and find C1E and EIST (Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology), try disabling and then report back with results.

5. mayhem

mayhem Owner of Mayhems

Hi there

speed step is turned off due to me over clocking the q6600 go stepping to 3.8ghz if i was running it i would not be able to over clock. How ever i double checked and its set to off..

Ive tested with the Power supply set to turbo / normal and the same problem is still there when playing games in sli is annoying a pretty worrying.

The noise is coming from the PSU so how can it not be a problem with the psu i know this because my system is not mounted in a case so i know which component is making the noise.

6. Nathan@Nanopoint

If it's the problem above it can be down to configuration which is creating the noise, normally from one of the coils. You will find that this happens with different brands of power supply depending on how they are built, however that is if the problem is the same as mentioned above.

My other suggestion is that it could be down to when the PSU is under heavy load the fan is speeding up and then catching on something or possibly the fan is on its way out.

How long have you owned the PSU and how long has this been happening?

7. mayhem

mayhem Owner of Mayhems

Ive had the psu 9 moths now and it been getting worse over the last few weeks.

The Pc is on 24/7 and if im not gaming its folding. How ever like i say its not in a case.

there are 2 problems 1) is the coils then 2) is the fan making a sound as though it grinding or catching.

Yeh the noise only happens under heavy load. Ill do a youtube video just to show you that way you'll be able to hear it. Ive been in the computer industry most of my life (15 years as IT Brake fix engineer) fixing ppls pc's and ive never heard that sound before and defo would not call it a common problem. Ill run some tests any way and get a video up on you tube.

Today i stuck on a corsair power supply on the system and it didn't have any noise coming from with and i managed to push my system and oc the GPus a little further and its still didn't make a sound after 2 hours of bench tests.

Last edited: 29 Jun 2009
  8. Nathan@Nanopoint

Hi Mayhem

I don't think that this will be two problems, if the PSU is out of a case then it’s also possible that a foreign object has been sucked in to or fallen inside the PSU. After you compose a self diagnostics the inevitable will be that the PSU should be returned to Nanopoint for service to be on the safe side.

To arrange for service, visit http://nanopoint.co.uk/en/service/rma.php and raise an RMA request. Please note on the request that you have spoken to Nathan on bit-tech forums so that when the PSU is retuned I can also take a look at the PSU, I’ll be interested to find out he problem.

9. mayhem

mayhem Owner of Mayhems

no problem i ll get the RMA sort . Hope you dont mind me asking what is the turn around time on a rma as i will be with out a pc till this comes back and dont fancy using my arcade unit to surf the net. The corsiar one was a mates that i ran tests with.

At least while im off line the lass will get the house work shes been complaining about done .lol

10. Nathan@Nanopoint

Hi Mayhem

Shouldn't be more than 5 working days from when we receive it unless there is a stock issue. Ill keep my eyes open when it arrives because i'd like to see this one get tested myself.

mayhem likes this.
  11. mayhem

mayhem Owner of Mayhems

Hi there. I double checked what was wrong with the system and handed it over for testing to a friend who has a power test box thing. The power supply is fine apart from the knocking sound from the fan apparently.

I am apparently pushing the Power supply to its limits with my kit and have been told to get a higher Watt power supply and yes you were correct the noise is from me pushing it quite hard.

So thank you and there is no need for me to waite any more of your time now with a RMA. Ill just re sell it on and get my self another Tagan but with a bit more Umph in it.

+1 for all your help

12. Nathan@Nanopoint

Hi Mayhem

Glad to hear that you've got to the bottom of it and to re-sell to somone looking for a 600W modular sounds like a plan. If you do purchase a new Tagan I'd like to recommend you 880Ws - either U33II to BZ (modular), I've seen some very positive reports back from tests :thumb:

13. mayhem

mayhem Owner of Mayhems

yeh was looking at going to 880w would cover me for any future upgrades on the arcade system.

was told with all the extras i have on the system controlling all the arcade stuff ive been running at 590 watts and the BZ has been holding out on me. apparently when i was OCing i was pushing t 610 watts. Hence it screaming at me.

I wasn't taking into account all the stuff i was running on USB such as arcade sticks and fans and every thing else. Plus extra gear.