1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Taiwan to pass law to attack China

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by GreatOldOne, 14 Mar 2005.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

The "Land of All Things Silicon" is to pass a tit-for-tat law that would allow them to pre-emptively attack their neighbors across the straights. You know, the ones that have a penchant for red and are regarded as a Superpower. The Inq tells us more:

IT ISLAND Taiwan will introduce a bill today that will allow the island to take pre-emptive military action against the mainland without reference to its parliament.

The Taipei Times said the reason for the draft bill, which would allow the president the power to launch military action, is because of an anti-secession law the mainland passed today.

More here

Any conflict in the area would have an immediate effect on the flow of IT products, as a vast amount of it is designed and produced on the Island state. The vast majority of the PC sat on your desk probably came from in or around Taipei.

2. Deimos_Anomaly

Deimos_Anomaly New Member

Nice just what we need (hint of sarcasm).

Deimos Anomaly

3. smoguzbenjamin

smoguzbenjamin "That guy"

I always thought that the world would end in a middle-east vs america war, now I see that the world will end when America interferes with the whole Taiwan issue. Why the hell is China wanting to attack them anyway? I'm dumbfounded by it.... :blah:

Last edited: 14 Mar 2005
  4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Holy ****! The problem being if Taiwan attacks first is a) they wont receive any support from anyone else, whereas if they were invaded everyone would back Taiwan (mm another Korea) and b) it's FRIKKIN CHINA! It's like attacking the US, you just dont do it unless you are incredibly stupid or have absoultely no other option (ie all democratic routes have failed).

Id imagine the UN intervening before the **** hits the fan, and the Bill is only to keep China on it's toes.

smoguzbenjamin - China still thinks Taiwan is a chineese colony, and hence a part of China, but Taiwan wants and is effectively currently independent. China probably wouldnt give a **** if it wasnt for Taiwans MASSIVE GDP for its size.

5. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

7. Nikumba

Nikumba Member

If Tawain did attack China in anyway there would not be muc of Tawain left with the large amount of aircraft, missile batteries, subs, boats etc China have on the strait would not leave much left and thats before nukes were thrown about.

Currently if China attacked Tawain the US may or maynot intervene, the US would have to operate their carriers at the maximum range since China has long range supersonic anti-ship missles, plus a large number os A/C granted some of them are old, but numbers will almost always win.

Besides, AFIK the US and most other countries still do not reconise Tawain as a country.

Nikumba

8. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Urhg, the tainwanese govt. are stupider then I thought, if they look like they're as happy to have a war as china, then if it ever happens, they're gonna get less support from other nations. It's gonna be like serbia in WW1 I tell ya's. One stupid aggressive unhappy nation drags the whole damn world into war.

9. Risky

Risky Well-Known Member

Taiwan doesn't want to be attacking China, but they given China's threats they seem to fell tha tthey need to be able to repond, vene premptively.

However its a bit of a long shot as though China would eventually succeed in any war, Taiwan has the defensive infrastructure to make this a very painfull operation.

Of course if China does decide to invade I think we should eb more concerned about the fate of the Taiwanese rather than the effect on the price of PC parts!

10. Nikumba

Nikumba Member

Sorry to tell you they dont. At most they have a few PAC-3 Patriot batteries, 2 or 3 Aegis crusiers and some F-16's while that might deter a small country, Chine has hundreds of fighters, thousands of missiles and a leathal navy.

If China attacked Twaian and the US didnt get invoved the Tawain defences would be gone within 24hours. An aerial pre-emptive strike is also out of the question for Tawain since China has S-300 sam systems, revieved as the best SAM system in teh world

Nikumba

11. Spaced_invader

Spaced_invader New Member

tbh in my opinion taiwan is just playing though guy, it see's china acting threateningly and so acts defencive. I don't think china will attack taiwan until the US has decided to wage war on some other country (north korea, syria, iran or some other part of the third worl... i mean axis of evil) As if the states are tied up in some other financially viable war as well as keeping troops in iraq to safeguard it's oil supplies, it will have no suficient number of troops left to help taiwan. China's just playing the waiting game... As for the states, they're waiting for china's move...

12. specofdust

specofdust Banned

The US is currently tied up in a war though. They have ever increasing numbers of troops in Iraq because other countries are pulling out. That doesn't matter though, nor would a war with iraq or syria. The army that would fight china would be the one currently stationed in south korea. North korea probably won't do any attacking anytime soon, they know how crazy that'd be.

13. Alan

Alan New Member

Mainland China doesn't have the technical ability to invade Taiwan, so far... And as for numbers being the most important aspect, First Gulf War anyone? 4th Largest Army in the World obliterated by a much smaller expeditionary force. Numbers are not too important - it's all about training and equipment and strategy.
    But mainland China is working on it...

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

But Taiwan isnt the gulf. Nor will China want to destroy it's infrastructure because it wants it for it's GDP output.

15. smoguzbenjamin

smoguzbenjamin "That guy"

As long as my hardware doesn't get more expensive! I still see this whole war thing as pretty trivial. China decides they want Taiwan so they can get rich :rolleyes: pffffffffff, I say get the US behind Taiwan, we'll see if China attacks then :eyebrow:

16. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Don't be so confident. The chinese Army is 2,500,000 strong. It has been getting considerably more funding in recent years, and is basicly becoming a much more threatening Army. We're not talking an army like Iraq's here, more one to match the US army. If North Korea got involved, then that'd be the US screwed. They couldn't take on the combined forces of China and NK. Not without serious serious help from either russia(not gonna happen) or europe.

17. richtea78

richtea78 Guest

I thought China was supposed to be after Siberia first or am I mixing Clancy and Brown up?

Seriously though I cant see China really taking military action because of the risk to harming the one thing that they want from Taiwan - the economic infrastructure. Think the most they will ever get is similar to Hong Kong where they get titular control but dont really do a lot to mess things about.

As to the standing army of China dont think that size is relavent at all. They may have 2.5 million people but the Formosa straight is a bit bigger than the range of a rifle. OK they have a very big army but its pretty badly equiped and trained.

18. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

Any prospects for a Chinese invasion of Taiwan have previously been called 'the million mile swim' by US military planners, because China's military currently lacks the amphibious warfare capability necessary for it to quickly conduct a large scale invasion of Taiwan. It has a hell of a lot of soldiers and a hell of a lot of (mostly somewhat dated) equipment in its armed forces, but logistics would still present the biggest challenge.

Some have suggested that China will merely utilise large numbers of civilian/merchant shipping seized for use in an eventual invasion though - a kind of reverse Dunkirk if you will.

19. Simonsnet

Simonsnet New Member

True, the Chinese could batter Taiwan through aerial attacks. But China does not have ANYWHERE NEAR enough troop landers to occupy Taiwan, therefore an attack just ain't possible.

Also, a large proportion of the US fleet is based at Taiwan, most of which includes Aegis Cruisers, which are there soley to defend Taiwan against aerial attack. The US have been expecting an attack for years and are well prepared for it. There are vast stockpiles of AA missiles to re-stock the cruisers on Taiwan itself.

Someone mentioned long range AS missiles that China own. IIRC these are 2nd/3rd gen at best and are about as accurate as a slingshot. Even if they were current/next gen weapons they'd still have to get through a intricate defensive web of destroyers and A/C before they even got to the Cruisers.

You need to do some homework mate, China is the only country that scares Russia at the moment. China have looked admiringly upon what they refer to as the "Northern Resource Area" for years and Russia know it. If they could help knock back China's armed forces by a few generations without inciting the international community then I guarantee they would jump at the chance.

20. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I see you're point, but what about the recent joint military exercises between Russia and China. If a massive war took place between china(possibly also NK) and the US(possible with the EU) then russia could take the US side and gain nowt(US would claim it all for themselves) or take chinas side and claim a good bit of the spoils. But I don't think war on that scale is coming, all parties are aware how bad it would be for all parties.

Tags: Add Tags