1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

take a vote for my sakes!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by m0nk3y, 17 Sep 2003.

?

Which Kit?

1. M4 Maze Ultimate Plus from Coolercases

46 vote(s)
    85.2%
  2. Asetek Waterchill Kit w/ Chipset block from Frozencpu

8 vote(s)
    14.8%
  1. m0nk3y

m0nk3y What's a Dremel?

Ok Project Abduction is on its way! And im getting a killer intel purchase program deal... yea shhhh!

What should i get?

The M4 Ultimate Plus water cooling kit from coolercases

or

the Asetek Waterchill kit w/ chipset block from frozencpu

2. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

m4 :D
    i just like coolercases

3. m0nk3y

m0nk3y What's a Dremel?

yea umm m4 is winning 4 fold right now... damn guess it must be good

4. Rich_13

Rich_13 What's a Dremel?

5 now :thumb: go with it.... :D

5. penski

penski BodMod

Moving to Extreme cooling...

*n

PS: #I want to go to the zoo...Got to go, got to go to the zoo...#

6. m0nk3y

m0nk3y What's a Dremel?

A question about the m4 kit though...

It says the gfx block fits a radeon 9000/9700 so will this work with a radeon 9800 pro board?

and

Will the cpu block fit a intel p4 3ghz chip?

7. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

vote: m4

Might be worth talking to pug also, but his site seems to be down at the mo.

8. m0nk3y

m0nk3y What's a Dremel?

I would if i could but I have no clue on how to contact him.

9. scopEDog

scopEDog Minimodder

I put in that Asetek vote cause...well...i like to be different :)

10. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

I would like to draw your attention to the new feater on coolercases

Don't leach bandwidth, Kryten :)
    Pick and choose what you want

also the block in the M4 ultimate fits 9800s :D

Also think pugs sites down for maintanence or something

[Edit] Which mod removed the image? am just curias, why don't you mods leave a little tag at the end or something. And for your information i had permision, :grr:

Last edited: 18 Sep 2003
  11. Pug

Pug What's a Heatsink?

Hehe, nobody minds if I abstain from voting, do they?
    (I have buddies in both camps... and then of course there's the fact that the options are loaded... ;)) :D

12. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

OT
    Hey pug hows it going

you should request another option :p don't worry its anonamus i wont tell :naughty:

BOT

13. Pug

Pug What's a Heatsink?

Better thanx. :)

Nah, I don't mind - he seems to have an idea of what he's after and without seeing what's planned for Project Abduction, I'd be pushed to know what to recommend. :shrug:

m0nk3y - if you've got requirements, constraints and a budget for us to work to, it makes it easier to suggest alternatives if you're interested or comment on your choices, if not. :)

I think BiT did reviews on both of those if you want their insight though, I'd link to them but I'm feeling lazy myself right now. (Sorry Lazy, hope you don't mind :worried: )

14. m0nk3y

m0nk3y What's a Dremel?

hey pug thanks for the reply... i've heard that your the man to talk to for watercooling alike.

Well for my project basically its all underway the way i see fit. However i do want watercooling to cool my new p4 3ghz (ht) chip for $200 bucks yea!!! I want to overclock it like a fiend. Im not trying to get all crazy with peltiers unless they are really easy to deal with. I have never had a watercooling setup before but i know a little about it.

Basically for you to make a suggestion i need to know what you need to know lol. I want a resovoir that lights up and bubbles with the water... yea descriptive. then also green uv dye in the water is a must. I would like to cool the chipset, gpu, and of course cpu... I am really interested in cooling the power supply as well. Is there anything else you need to know? you can email me directly if you wish @ nick526@comcast.net

15. Pug

Pug What's a Heatsink?

No probs buddy ('cept the email part. I have a slight backlog here).
    I found your project in the logs section, which helped to give an idea of what you're working with.

I did start to piece togethe a rather protracted reply yesterday but it stated to get a bit long-winded as I tried to cover a lot of ground.
    Lemme piece together a general guide. I need to do one anyway, so I'll try and make it as broad as possible to cover whatever you might decide to do and also be useful for anyone else considering first time w/cooling.

Your main concern is gonna be working out where your rad will go and what you have space for, so start from there and see if you can figure in a res and pump next.
    I see you already have plans for the top panel, so work from your next biggest space and see what you could fit.
    A lot of rads are working in multiples of 120 fan sizes now (although they're oversize from just fans, so allow around 5-6" by 11-12" for a 240 rad).
    Heatercores can be obtained in many shapes and sizes too (I personally have a 4x92mm five-way single-pass core sitting here but it's quite the rarity [Edit] and ain't for sale ;)) if high flow is your bag.
    You can probably get rad dimensions for the kits you listed too, although I don't know how well the PSU option is catered for (meaning whether the kit has the overhead to deal with the added heatload).

Both the production watercooled PSUs I sell have a G1/8 thread fitting, which means I can only realistically fit them with 10mm barbs or 8mm pushfit.
    My choice/recommendation for them would be the pushfit. You can easily maintain good laminar flow velocity in the tubes without suffering major impedance from multiple blocks, whilst using a good low-wattage pump.
    I have used adaptors in the past to convert them to 10mm pushfit but this was only to cater for integration into an existing setup - if you're starting from scratch... plan ahead. :thumb:

You'll need a decent rad to cope with the extra heatload of the PSU (or more accurately, more fannage).
    I find two 120s (on a rheo) give me much more comfortable temps with a lower noise floor than one (on a higher setting); three 120s, more so; ad infinitum.

As always, good luck with whatever you decide, we'll be here to point and lau... er I mean, help if it goes wrong. :D ;)

Last edited: 20 Sep 2003
  16. Knipex

Knipex What's a Dremel?

If it was me (and it was not so long ago) I wouldnt use either kit. From your post above you want more than a basic kit can provide. I recomend kits to 1st timers who want to get 1 supplier to supply everything they need, you will not be able to do that.

A kit is designed to try and provide something to cover a range of applications and as every application is unique there will be compromises.

You want to cool everything including harddrives and PSU so as Pug said you need a bigger rad. Sit down decided first what you want to water cool. Have alook at prices and then decide what you can affoard to cool.

From there pic a rad (I recomend a two fan multi pass rad.) and waterblocks. Then you can decide of fittings and see if all the parts you have chosen are compatible. Measure twice cut once...

For what its worth I use all Aqua stuff from Pug.

17. m0nk3y

m0nk3y What's a Dremel?

Wow Pug, thanks for the reply. I have read a couple of articles on watercooling pros and cons and how to set them up and I think i have a general knowledge of them now.

I have a few questions, how do you fill the watercooling once everything is installed? Also how do you let air out of the setup like a bleed line? I have seen things that light up kind of like your avatar pug, what is that device?

I have decided what to do with my setup. I want to cool the cpu, gpu, and chipset. In that order. I also am going to put my radiator in the top right of the case as there is a lot of room there. Right above the power supply. As far as the water resovoir I am undecided.

Can you offer any advice or cons to what i have decided on? Also i still need to pick out the watercooling hardware. Pug what do you honestly suggest your equipment or the danger den 4 kit from coolercases? What is better?

18. m0nk3y

m0nk3y What's a Dremel?

bump bump

19. Pug

Pug What's a Heatsink?

1. In the case of my Dragon, (res on top) I fill the res, and with either the return pipe free or a pipe in the valved T-piece, I suck enough coolant through the pump to prime it, then turn it on whilst continuously filling the res until the loop flow becomes continuous.
    (It's not always necessary to siphon-prime but if you need to, it's easy to dis- & re-connect with one touch fittings. Maybe more of a problem to do with barbs and clamps but as I say, it's not always necessary.)

With my ClearPC (res on front), I tip the case onto its back first and fill in a similar way.

With my Lian Li, I have a pump-mounted Aqua Inject primer tank. Fill it to prime, switch the pump on and keep pouring until it's done. Replace lid.

I've had combinations of both res before which worked very well but some would say, are unnecessary in many cases.

2. I tried a setup with a top bleed-line once but actually found it was made semi-redundant by the res.
    Sure, bubbles float to the top in static water but when it's flowing, the air can get pushed round to the res where it generally stays trapped.

While we're close to the subject - Filling is often the easy part. What many people don't address is the emptying side of things.
    I started off originally, using an antifreeze bulb hydrometer to suck coolant out until the coolant level was below that of the res inlet, then disconnecting that pipe and sticking my thumb over the end while I transferred it to a suitable container.
    Nowadays, I can drain the system halfway down with my integrated drain-line and start disconnecting the higher up bits.

Ideally, I'd have mounted my Dragon rad with inlet/outlet at the bottom and had a drain there, together with either the res or another drain/bleed line at the top.

3. 'Tis the ubiquitous AquaTube, my friend, complete with optional lighting module. :)

4. Sounds good from what I'm visualising - make sure you're PSU isn't blocking airflow to the rad too much and don't cut anything until you're sure it won't interfere with any of your later plans.

5. Congratulations, you've just won loaded question of the month award. :p

Depends on your aims obviously.
    I think I've put my money where my mouth is when it comes to investing in what I believe to be best for my own current and future needs.

I wouldn't insult Paul or Dan by criticising something I've not done a direct comparison with (and even then I'd be reluctant to) but you won't have to look to far through my posting history to find where my true allegiance lies. :hehe:

20. m0nk3y

m0nk3y What's a Dremel?

You have prooved most useful Pug. When is your site going to be back online so I can see all your watercooling goodies for sale?