1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Take that Dell...

Discussion in 'General' started by Guest-23315, 27 Jan 2007.

1. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

It also doesn't need half the other crap they give you. You don't need a dual core-proc so that you can run your precious iTunes <sarcastic swooning> and IE7 at the same time like most people who use Dell's desktop PCs... you don't need 2GB of RAM for, well, anything other than mid to high end gaming. And would they please stop running everything silent?! They think it's okay to have every system use 1 or, preferably, 0 fans.

So get off your high horse and give *your* PC to someone if it's such a big deal to you. It's meant to be funny, if you don't like it don't complain, just go on and not post in the thread

2. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Personally I wouldn't do that, just a waste, but props to them for doing something stupid for just plain fun.

3. M3G4

M3G4 talkie walkie

Amen sistah! :)

4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I've been asked by a lot of people recently what to do with old machines (January sales, Christmas money and so on) and I always recommend that people find a local charity who takes the machines away and puts them where they need them.

Normally it costs £10 for P2G to collect them and thats it. Not a bad price IMHO.

5. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I never really replace an entire machine in one go, they kind of evlolve and leave a trail of parts as they go, those usually ending up in my dads pc and the ones coming out of that thing usually get into my grans pc and anything at the end of that is useless anyway.

When crysis comes out my dads pc is going to get a shock :p

6. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

My server started out life way more modest than that thing he smashed up. Life to me is about creativity. If you cant figure out what to do with an old machine then give it away. I have about 6machines including the one im typing on now that is lesser speced than that thing. It dosen't mean im not an enthusiast, I have a higher end machine and I am always improving upon it. That 2gig celery dell could have made some poor kid happy. Now it sits in a ruble of old parts.

Personally, I dont quite believe in the whole living green thing simply because I enjoy certain things in life however anything you can do to improve the quality of life of another human being is a good thing. Ive recycled machines in the past and I am a firm believer that older machines are still useful. Until about a year ago I had a mp3 server that ran on a striped win xp install on a p1 233 and 128mb of edo ram. Only reason I got rid of it was the mobo died. The cpu and the ram were given away to revitalize an older rig for someone else who refuses to upgrade simply because he believes his pc does what he needs it to do and that is word processing in office 97 and win 95. I agree with him.

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Working in an office environment where there may be four or five PCs in a tiny room, I have found Dell's propensity for quiet PCs a godsend. I mean, how is it a bad thing?!?

He is still using his. When it comes to the point when he can afford to smash it up, he may well follow your suggestion and donate it to someone else.

It may be meant to be funny, but people don't always appreciate the joke. He is entitled to express his opinion just as much as you are.

8. kylelnsn

kylelnsn What's a Dremel?

BOSHED!

9. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I actually think the thread is moving across to "What do you do with old computers/equipment?"

Far more applicable and relevant in our society these days.

So What do you do with old computers and/or electrical equipment?

10. kylelnsn

mosh it!

11. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Sell it on Fleabay!

12. kylelnsn

order a napalm attack on it!

13. ufk

ufk Licenced Fool

<hate> Its a Dell.... nuff said </hate>

That said chuck a monitor and a keyboard at it and it would of been a sellable system.. muppet

I don't hate Dell, my media centre is a recycled Dell and it never goes wrong, as far as I'm concerned if its better than a P1 150 then its usable / sellable / stripable

14. KMS-oul

KMS-oul You think you know me.

It's a discussion forum I CAN voice MY opinion.

15. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Yes, you can, but it's really just a downer to come and then point out every flaw one sees in something

@Nexxo, I complain at no fans because I've witnessed a PSU blow in a fanless Dell (not even sure it had a fan to fail so rule that out), resulting in a fire burning the wall behind the PC (hooray fire extinguisher). No abnormal usage, just sitting on a desk in open air, in a typical ~25C ambient room. Thankfully not my own house almost burning down because of a PC poorly cooled

16. DMAthlon

DMAthlon What's a Dremel?

in anger, i threw a gutted eMachine to the ground, destroying it.

17. jaguarking11

No offense to you but that is pure BS. Ive had my share of psu's go bad on me over the years. And I have replaced countless others. None of them can cause a fire. The psu is designed so if it does overheat it will shut off. The most ive seen was a rancid looking circuit board. The solder would melt way before anything cought fire. If you look at the properties of solder you need around 150c to melt it and make it run like water. To create a dry fire you need around 250c. The thing would have tripped a fuse way before that. Not to mention the metal housing on the psu would contain most of the heat to further reduce the possibility of fire.

Now if the psu was a high voltage psu (Read ccfl, crt monitor etc) then the possibility of fire is higher because of the high risk of spark.

18. randosome

randosome Banned

that's a good theory, but unfortunately cheap PSU's do often catch fire (mainly when their old) maybe due to a capacitor leaking or something, i don't know
    Either way it does happen, a quick Google search would confirm that, and the non-enthusiast PSU's in dell machines are really quite rubbish

19. jaguarking11

Dell is too big of a company to allow a psu to burn, They would have one major lawsuit in their hands. And if a cap leaks usualy no power is transmitted therefore you have no fire.

Dell uses Delta psu's in the most part, and simply put those psu are the Rolls Royce of the oem market. There are quite a few deltas that would put most "enthusiast grade" psus to shame.

20. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Like you are doing with... say... Dell PCs? ;)

...and the cause of that PSU failure was overheating? How do you know?