1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Taking Shoes Off In The Office

Discussion in 'General' started by Pookie, 4 Nov 2016.

1. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

So since being with my current employer I have always taken my shoes off at my desk but since moving to a new premises this has become an issue, I am trying to meet my boss half way by just taking my shoes off at my desk and slipping them back on when I move around the office.

Anyone else take their shoes off at work?

2. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

I don't know, isn't it Health and Safety having your shoes off in the workplace?

It never really bothers me, there is a lady in another office who walks about in her slippers.

3. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Is it against your company's health and safety code? If it isn't explicitly stated therein, then really he can't complain unless you happen to work in an office filled with nails where it would be pretty daft to take your shoes off.

4. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

I do it at mine and sometime walk round the office, my socks usually give it away though, I've been told not to do it......I still do it

5. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Its a carpeted office, we don't have a health and safety code (or one I have ever seen) but he has threatened to make one to stop me taking my shoes off. My feet just get so damn hot and its uncomfortable wearing shoes all day at a desk.

And before my feet never smelled but now I'm in shoes all day they start to pong :wallbash:

EDIT: if he makes it compulsory I'll wear steel toe cap boots at work :naughty:

6. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Just do what they do in Japan and buy a pair of easy to slip on sandals, leave them under your desk and change into them when you get to work. I used to wear shoes all day but ever since I worked in Japan briefly, I'm now in the habit of shoes on if I need to go outdoors, otherwise a pair of light sandals indoors.

7. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Tartan slippers waiting in your desk drawer for the win!

8. veryevil

veryevil Minimodder

I'm sat at work now on lunch in my socks. No one minds here. I do put on my shoes when I leave my desk though.

9. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

when ur at ur desk, it shouldnt be a problem as long as ur job doesnt require u to be with shoes in a short amount of time. and even at that, if u have a solution to be on ur shoes in a split second if u need to, then its ok to take them off when ur at ur desk.

to walk around though, thats a whole different ball game. that just depends on ur boss....

10. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Half way would be socks and sandals would it not?

11. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

I keep mine on, but my boss always takes one(?!) shoe off at his desk, and leaves the other one on.

12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

There are a few people around the building who take their shoes off at work. Personally I think you're taking your life into your own hands when you do that here; the floors rarely get cleaned and if there's any kind of obstruction in the way - like a chair not parked under a desk - then the cleaners simply won't clean past that point. Apparently it's so that they can't be accused of theft or interfering with office equipment or something...

Many years ago I once brought fleas home from that office, so no, I don't wander round in my socks there.

13. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

That's ridiculous. I'm always shoe-less in the office. Often sock-less, shirt-less and pants-less as well. Never once had a complaint about working all day in my dressing gown.

14. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I can see how someone would have a problem with you walking about the office with no shoes on, but slipping them off at your desk shouldn't be an issue unless they can smell your feet because of it.

I guess you have to decide for yourself whether you stand your ground or keep the peace.

Personally, I wear steel toe boots all day every day :lol:

15. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I used to take mine off all of the time when I was in a warehouse (booking goods in) as I have extremely hot feet as well. I would obviously put them on when I was walking around, but under the desk, they're off.

16. rollo

rollo Modder

I arrive in work in trainers, have a pair of shoes in my locker for meetings rarely if ever use them. Our official dress code policy is shoes. Never been mentioned. We do not see customers or general public.

I also take them off and leave them under desk. Don't do that much wandering about though.

17. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

I have no idea what your local labour or health and safety laws are, but for me the employer can impose a dress code (within reason) and dismiss a person for failing to follow said rules. Mandatory shoes are not unreasonable.

I had a co-work that took his shoes off and walked around the office in his socks. Weirded me right out, as I never seen anyone else do that before. If my feet are hurting, I have untied and loosen the laces and on rare occasion slipped my feet out of my shoes. But my feet always remain under my desk and out of sight. Shoes back on and laces tied before leaving my desk.

18. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

To be fair, when I'm working from home I will quite happily conduct my day in my underpants. But in those cases only the cats will notice.

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I'm not even dressed at the office!

(I work from home)

20. Xir

Xir Modder

I generally take them off under the desk as well, and sometimes slip out on socks to the printer, naughty me.
    On the workfloor safety shoes are obligatory though.