1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Taking the plunge: installing Windows 10

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pete J, 12 Jul 2016.

1. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Cat Lies Down on Broadway

You won't see any benefit from DirectX12, unless you install and run DirectX12 games.

2. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Oink!

I think you might be mistaking Windows 7 for Vista. Windows 7 has been the best OS Microsoft released for a long time and is still going strong even after two further releases. I get that some people need to have the latest and greatest but I'm always going to be one of the latecomers where OS upgrades are concerned. I've been running Windows 7 Ultimate for 6 or so years now without a hitch and I couldn't be happier with it.

Reading Pete's thread has once again confirmed for me why I don't care for Windows 10.

3. Pete J

Pete J Unemployed dole scum

Yup - it worked like a charm. I'll have to remember it whenever I reinstall.
    Dude, I know I shouldn't write anything sarcastic, but REALLY? I can figure that out by myself thanks. Hence why I installed RotTR and AotS to play around with.

Some people seem to think that Win 10 runs DX11 and below games a bit better as well, though I haven't noticed anything.
    Honestly, I think you're making the right decision. I'm currently writing this on my lounge PC which is Win 7 and it just feels so much nicer, as though nothing is happening in the background that I don't want. It's a shame that updating it is now a difficult chore.

4. bawjaws

bawjaws Well-Known Member

I "upgraded" my Win8.1 tablet to 10 months ago, and it's certainly no worse for the upgrade, but I'm going to stick with 7 on my desktop for the foreseeable future (certainly until I do a full system upgrade). I'm yet to see a compelling reason to ditch 7, which works perfectly well for me.

5. Pete J

[​IMG]

WTF is this about? Are they introducing ads into Outlook if you don't want to use whatever crap they're pushing now?

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

AFAIK outlook.com by default has always served ads, i guess if you use edge they extend the same add free service that you can get via other means.

7. Xir

Xir Well-Known Member

..I didn't get Candy Crush or Twitter.
    Then again I installed it creating my own Win10 install stick using the official "microsoft media creation tool for windows 10" and a win7 liscence.
    Maybe your scan version has some bloatware?

8. spolsh

spolsh Active Member

Hmmm ... Using the media creation tool I got candy Crush , Twitter and the other rubbish - think it is MS bloatware, not Scan in this case.

9. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

I installed Windows 10 a while ago (upgrade from 8.1, which was an upgrade from 7), but haven't seen any auto-installed apps so far that I can recall.

10. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Yeah I don't have twitter or candy crush installed, maybe it was introduced more recently?

Personally liked 8.1/10 more than 7 as they seem to be a quicker version, some menus are more awkward and settings harder to find, but I don't spend all day using them so the overall improved speed is well worth the odd google to find a setting I want.

11. Pete J

Well, just over a week of Windows 10 and I've got mixed emotions. On the one hand, the anti privacy stuff is just ludicrous - see the video below about all the secret hidden options that Spybot actually make a programme to disable:

HOWEVER:

I'm now getting phenomenal performance with my SLI set up, in particular, Tomb Raider and Crysis. These two games were incredibly susceptible to stutter under Windows 7, but now run incredibly well. Suffice to say, I'm now doing a playthrough of Tomb Raider with everything turned up to 11. Awesome.

12. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

Yes, so you are noticing some of the issues that come with win 7. It's really a slug.

Windies 7 is a perfect example of hysteria and fanboy-ism coming together. They boycotted windies 8 because of the tile design (it was indeed annoying without a touch screen) and now they have a different set of reasons to boycott 10.

Spybot telemetry disable eh?

Might give it a try.

13. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

14. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Member

That's true. Fashionable these days for some magazines, forums and youtube clips advocating Spybot Anti-Beacon. Nothing wrong with privacy itself and turning off some settings but going too far and being anal about it can cause negative effects such as hampering the ability to fix bugs and enhancements.

15. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Whether you like the obvious changes or not, Windows 7 is starting to show it's age under the hood. 8 was better and 10 is an improvement on that.

As it stands, regarding privacy, I'm fairly comfortable with choosing the minimal settings built into Windows rather than using third party software to kill everything. If I really didn't trust Microsoft to that extent I'd probably would use something other than Windows anyway.

16. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

There does seem to be a lot of FUD out there about how much data Win10 sends to Microsoft, while ignoring that Win7 sent some as well.

17. Pete J

Windows 10 Anniversary update due to hit soon. I wish I could download it like a service pack so I can do a fresh install.

18. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Member

You certainly can. You can download the ISO or use the media creation tool and then do a clean install that way.

The build is 1607 14393.10

Last edited: 3 Aug 2016
  19. Pete J

^Ohh, thanks for the info. I'll look into it.

20. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Member