1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Tales of Monkey Island: Episode One Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 7 Jul 2009.

1. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

It's working now (download is stupidly quick somehow, maxed my 20mb cable @2MB/sec download) and so far worth every minute of the wait :)

2. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

He spent several days with the team, true - at the design stage of the game when it's possible to have the most impact. He redesigned Guybrush's look and character, helped lay out the overall plot of the adventure and was available to help the design team with any specific questions they had. He's also very close friends with much of the Telltale team from what I hear so, even if he did revert to working on Deathspank after a week of devotion to Tales, I'd still say that he was very involved in the project given that he redesigned the main character and help come up with the fundamentals of the plot and game world as a whole - it's what you do with your time, not how much of it you have. His influence can be clearly felt in the game either way, though skipping it by based on his absence seems a bit silly to me. Curse of Monkey Island didn't have his involvement at all and that was still an awesome game.

3. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Bet Joes smile would have been bigger than one of Harry's once he realised the intro was one big practical joke on MI fans :D

I really want to play this.

4. Aragon Speed

Aragon Speed Busily modding X3: Terran Conflict

I had the whole series ordered a couple of weeks ago after I first heard about it. I think it's good that this has been revived after so many years, and that Lucas finally realised there is more to the world of gaming than churning out more Star Wars stuff than you can shake an Ewok at.

ATM I am wondering how the remake of TSOMI will play.

5. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I believe Ron Gilbert's official title, according to the credits, is "Visiting Professor of Monkeyology" :lol:

6. Xir

Xir Modder

...so I pay 35$ for five episodes...but receive only one?

Just a question, SIN, Sam-and-Max and Half-Life2---how many episodes yet?
    Has there been ANY episodic content that made it past 2 episodes?

Now I don't doubt MI will be a succes...but didn't we think the same of HL2? :eyebrow:

7. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Maybe YOU did. :p

8. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Telltale have a proven record with episodic games. They have a number of episodic series' - Sam and Max, Strong Bad, Wallace and Gromit and now Monkey Island. As far as I know they do them monthly and haven't missed a deadline yet. Strong Bad finished a season of several episodes, Sam and Max is now into a second season and Wallace and Gromit is going strong.

In other words; it's a safe bet and it's unlikely they'll dick around with it, unlike Valve. As for Ritual and SiN, it's hardly their fault - the company was bought out and made to work on different things.

Of course, if you don't believe it'll work then just wait until the Season is done before you buy.

9. Xir

Xir Modder

Ooops. sorry, haden't heared of any Sam and Max game after the second episode...my mistake.

And yes, I also think Monkey Island will be a success
    (unless deliberately sabotaged like Valve...whatever is riding them)

Is "Penny Arcade: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness" still continued after episode 2?

10. nicae

nicae What's a Dremel?

i think "episodic content" is an excuse to stop making a story when you feel like it.
    and i feel really uninterested in getting season 2 if i've missed season 1. so i guess i really dont like episodic content.

i miss the old monkey island feel, from games 1 and 2. on 3 they made it so cartooney :\
    s2 pixel imagination! :(

11. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

So you're willing to write off a whole series of games just because you don't like episodic content?

Your loss.

Seriously, Telltale have a lot of experience of delivering epidosic content on time and completing full seasons like they promise. They haven't yet, to my knowledge, stopped anything mid-series because "they felt like it".

The way Telltale work is not the same as, say, Valve work with episodic content. Where each new Half Life episode is really just a stand-alone expansion, with Telltale each episode is part of the whole where the full story has been worked out in advance.

Tags: Add Tags