1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

teacher assaulted because of a mobile phone

Discussion in 'Serious' started by DXR_13KE, 21 Mar 2008.

1. specofdust

specofdust Banned

You're right, the child probably is in for a shock. Most jobs would dicipline or fire you if you wasted time on your phone. That's their right. The boss wouldn't be allowed to simply take the mobile phone untill the day had ended though.

As you say, there may be a "child must follow rules" based argument somewhere, but whether this child agreed to follow rules allowing their property to be confiscated, whether a child even legally can consent to that - is a large and unclear matter.

Don't think I'm in favour of any child in this case. As I said I hate mobile phones going off and I'd be quite happy to see children diciplined or excluded if they're disruptive to the class. I just don't see any justification for removal of property, under the guise of authority or not.

2. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

lets see if i can make common ground here:

parents are allowed to remove from their children any kind of property, be it games, consoles, music players. mobile phones, books, magazines, knives, toys, guns , etc.... if they have a reason to do so, correct?

also considering that here a teacher is an extension of the parents, as in the teacher is taking the place of the parents in teaching the kid stuff that the parents don't know and at the same time protecting them from harm.

if your son has a device that creates noise that disturbs your peace or will harm your son or any other person/animal/object in some way will you remove that device from your son? is he entitled to react violently against you for the invasion of his property rights?
    if a pupil has a device that creates noise that disturbs the class and the teacher by law cant put him out of class how should the teacher react?

3. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

Nail, head, hit.

I can't believe that we actually need to.
    When did the notion of 'common sense' completely disappear?

When I was of school age, I had respect (almost a fear perhaps) for teachers. They are in charge. While in school, you follow the rules set down by them. If one of those rules includes 'if you use your phone, it will be confiscated' it seems fairly obvious that if I use my phone, it's gonna get taken from me. For me to then claim that the teacher is 'stealing it' or that it's 'against my rights' (god how tiring does that little phrase get) is just ridiculous.

My mum is a teacher. If a snotty little kid behaved like this girl (or, indeed, like you) towards her I would be livid.

Do you have kids? If you do, or when you do, would you condone this kind of behaviour?

I get the awful feeling your response is going to be something like 'I will tell my kids to defend their property rights [jesus christ] however they need to'. And that makes me worried about what this world is going to be like in 20 years time.

4. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Depends which behavior you refer to as condoning. If a teacher told a child of mine to hand over their mobile phone because it'd gone off, I'd hopefully have raised a bright enough child to realise that the simplest and easiest thing to do is hand over the phone and get on with the class, and pick it up at the end of the class/day. If a teacher actually physically tried to force the phone from any child I raised, I'd hope they didn't feel powerless to respond to that. Force should be met with force.

God forbid anyone defend their property though, that's just not on at all obviously. We do share one thing in common I suppose, we both worry about what the world is going to be like in 20 years.

5. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

Ok this looks about a million times more reasonable than anything else I read.

I think maybe you are assuming the teacher stormed over to this kid with fire in her eyes, ripping the phone from her hand and possibly insulting her dead grandmother. I guess we don't know really, but far more likely is that the teacher asked for the phone several times, was met by the child with flippant or insulting remarks, and therefore had to try to take it 'forcibly' (i.e. tried to pick it up herself).

If, as you say, the child was sensible enough to say 'ah fair cop, you caught me, here it is', none of this would have happened.

I'm all for 'defending oneself and ones property'. I just don't think it has any relevance at all in this context. The kid isn't being mugged by her teacher.

6. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Where's the respect towards the teachers? In the schools I have been in, there has been no need to force anyone to hand over their phones, the rule has been that keep them on silent and if you get an important call then you go outside the class to talk. One teacher mad it clear that if a phone rings then the one who gets a call offers the rest of the class coffee and a donut.

During the college I was phoned from the customs a couple of times within school-hours and I'm happy I had the chance to get outside the class and call their practices damn retarded.

7. Oclocker

Oclocker What's a Dremel?

for f=1 to 10000
    If SOD="i'm above the LAW"
    THEN="No ur not"
    ELSE"glad you joined real word"
    next f

run loop and wait until ends - I doubt it'd ever not reach 10k in this artificial world but in real world ?

Last edited: 22 Mar 2008
  8. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Epic agree.

9. Boogle

Boogle What's a Dremel?

Ultimately if the child were an adult in the UK, this would be considered 'Assault'. If you take photos of someone and they force you to delete them off your camera - that is also assault. In essence anyone who takes something from you without your permission is 'assault'. This is where specofdust is coming from, and I can certainly understand this point of view, and respect it.

The other side is the child was not responsible, and was acting like a typical yob off the street when police are involved. This point of view is also correct.

In essence we're in a grey area where both sides are right imho. The phone should not have been taken in such a way that the pupil felt it neccesary to act this way. The best option would to have followed what Stuey said, he acknowledges the immense power of peer pressure and the innate fear of embarrassment of teenagers. The second best option would have been removing the disruptive pupil from class.

We're in a society that's changing over from 'respect is earned' to 'authority figures automatically get respect'. People closer to their base instincts may never understand the latter. I hope that one day teacher training includes lessons on gaining respect, the kind Stuey obviously has. If your students respect you, they'll hand over their mobiles on command (will it even get that far?). If they don't, then the teacher will get walked all over.

In essence: The teacher should not steal property. The student should not have acted the way she did. The situation should never have happened in the first place.

10. Wicz

Wicz What's a Dremel?

You are nothing but an immense ****ing tit!

I quite simply will not read anymore of your shite. Bring on the ban.

11. specofdust

specofdust Banned

[​IMG]

12. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

can i have a rofl waffle? lets all calm down. Just because i dont agree with specofdust doesnt mean i hate him lol. we just have a different opinions....

13. Major

Major Guest

I would like to add one thing here.

Assulted and Brutalized? None of those were in that video, she got a little push around, big ****ing deal.

14. Oclocker

erm OP not native english speaker (iirc) & did ask for ideas for more accurate descrpition? I'd guess at a skirmish/altercation?

15. Major

Major Guest

Others have stated this as assult.

16. Oclocker

Assault now seems to be used to cover any physical contact - but when I read assaulted I visualise at least a slap .

17. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I'm formally putting in a request for you to be locked up. Seriously. Going by what you've said in this thread so far, I'm not going to bother going into why as you've clearly made up your own mind and won't be convinced otherwise. Other than this event not being theft, it's that kind of attitude that creates such overbearing, draconian laws in the first place. That 1% that forces gun control laws to exist while the remaining 99% could be trusted to use them appropriately, etc.
    Yes, but teachers don't have the authority to fire students. They can force through minimal disciplinary action in some cases, but that's the extent of it. The rules are different in schools than in any other location, especially when dealing with students.

Battery if anything, but it's not like blood was shed or anything. It was just a pushing match. Big friggen' deal.

18. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i bet old people love being pushed around..... and considering that old people are kind of sensitive.... as in old people should not be pushed around and shoved to the floor....

so i will change it to "assaulted", right?

edit: shame non of you guys understand what the kids are saying.... they are very evil....

19. freedom810

freedom810 Minimodder

Same here, non of them care inless its a really horrible teacher. In that video the teacher should have handed the phone back and gone for support, shes clearly a crap teacher. I have lessons similar to that but for different reasons. I just sit back and enjoy the entertainment to be honest. Who wouldnt?

20. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I'm not saying that a pushing match was acceptable for the situation, merely that it isn't exactly what comes to mind when the phrase 'assault and battery' is thrown about. This kind of situation isn't where criminal charges need to be pressed.

I'm 20. I know what the kids are saying. I've been in classrooms where students are doing stupid things in order to try getting a laugh out of their peers, or simply aren't thinking straight at all and have taken it way beyond what should happen in any kind of environment, let alone a classroom. This is most certainly a case of the latter, though even in the case of the former I have difficulty siding with the students. I strongly believe in defying authority when it's appropriate, but there's a big difference between civil disobedience or taking a stand and just being an ass. The former is fine in the right situation, but the latter is bad for everyone.