1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Team Fortress 2....I spy with my little eye

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Bungle, 29 Jan 2008.

1. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

Hi folks, been playing this little beauty quite a bit over the last few weeks and have enjoyed playing most of the classes available. One class that still eludes me is the spy. I've read numerous posts and guides on how to play the character and even watched a few youtube videos, but for the life of me I cannot sap a sentry and kill the engie in one go.
    I've tried killing the engie first and sapping (apparently possible), sapping sentry and killing engie (end up wearing a wrench for a hat or the sentry finishing me off). Just wondering if anyone else is having problems playing the character?
    The pyro guy just cracks me up, everytime I see him ingame. Those muffled sounds and and the taunting gesture when he raises the flamethrower above his head, brings a smile everytime. Superb.

2. Cabe

Cabe What's a Dremel?

This works for me.....

Disguise as something
    Run to the sentry
    Sap the sentry
    Cloak
    Wait for the engineer try and fix it (he will, or he loses the sentry)
    Stab him good and proper in the back for his troubles
    Re disguise as something

Learn the shortcut keys for each action, it will make the changes much faster.

3. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

Yeah thats pretty much what I've been trying. Unfortunately by the time I've killed him the sentry is repaired and I'm wearing more holes than a golf course. Then again I've always struggled with co-ordination in fast paced games. :sigh:

4. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

getting an engineer isnt so hard, it depends if they are randomly shooting everyone as they tend to do.
    but yeah, sap the gun and then stab the engi befre he can do away with your sapper.

spying is all about getting a kill and cloaking, re disguising while cloaked (as another class can help), popping into hiding to uncloak and doing it all again :)
    Getting to their spawn and sapping teleporters can make a big difference on maps like well and dustbowl.

my personal fave part of spying is when you manage to end up behind a long line of the opposing team all concentrating on the rest of your team and you stab em in the back one at a time :) Reminds me a bit of the hare krishna squashing

5. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

Being a Spy is great... you get to piss off Snipers :hehe: Backstabbing them out of nowhere brings a nice change of pace if I get bored of sniping :p

6. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

pfft, spading snipers is much more satisfying
    almost as satisfying as spading a spy :p

7. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

spies need to be burnt really :thumb:

8. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Pfft. For me it's much, much more fun to get another headshot as a sniper. If someone is especially bothering me then I can make the spy class work, but ussually I play as soldier/scout/sniper in reverse order.

9. greenturnips

greenturnips What's a Dremel?

Hi People

I want this game but don't know if my lappie will do it, it runs CCS alright, but struggled on COD4

What do you guys think, i know its above minimum, but will it be playable

2gb ram
    Intel duel core 1.66 each
    256 Geforce Go 6800(Quadro)
    Plenty of HD space

10. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

mine play it fine at near full settings (1200*800) specs are in sig

11. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Death to spies... death to snipers..... Time to hide cowards!

Game should run, you might want to turn off hdr lighting though. If its actually on in this game i can't remember now.

12. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

Spies are great fun if you can work them like this.

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Spies: much respect to those who can play properly. Snipers need to be banned :miffed:

My best was on sudden death in Granary - got a medic to heal me as I hid under pyro skin, then I took out a sentry, then backstabbed the engineer, then cloaked... waited for the medic to run away then backstabbed him too :D It's all about the mind games!! What do people expect to see etc

14. greenturnips

Cheers, will give it a go

15. BigD79

BigD79 Gadding about...

Try running this on your lappy. Pick the game and it checks your machine and lets you know if it'll play it.

16. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

One or two snipers on certain maps are valuable allies. But when every bloke and his dog is a sniper, you never have anyone to do all the hard work - on such occasions, I change teams and respawn as sniper and hound my former allies (to death) until they either a) get a life or b) try to get revenge as a spy (the ultimate compliment).

17. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

well i wouldnt trust that, any one who takes a dual core processor at 1.66 and claims that its 3.24, doesnt know what the hell there on about,

18. BlueTrin

BlueTrin What's a Dremel?

You need to learn the maps, there are places where you can hide and reappear without having alot of chances to be detected (that includes places right behind an enemy teleporter and such)

Every time you reappear people must think that you just spawned (or anything so they won't attack you), you must use carefully the good disguise. Try to act like the enemy, do not run back when in front of many enemies or they will shoot you down, try to follow them and stay in their back.

When you knife one of them, you need to judge if you need to rehide or immediately redisguise to continue knifing.

----

To kill an engie with a spy, you can either kill him and hide immediately (you may be killed sometime if the turret was already looking in your direction), or you can sap, kill (knife or many shots with the gun, preferable in the head) and resap (if he removed your sap).

Sometime it is not worth it to sap a turret if you play for the win (and not the score), if you play for the win you better wait the best moment to sap (when your team is actually attacking), when you will sap and your team is actually shooting rockets at the turrets, the engineers will not be able to really repair all of them (you can stall 3 turrets easily if they are together by spamming the saps)

Anyway if you play to win, you need to stay hidden and alive a longer time to help your team pushing actually or stall reinforcements ... If you do not do as many kills but stay alive and create alot of confusion you are already useful to your team. When people will see one of them getting killed then yourself disappearing they will be scared usually and won't be pushing as hard, wasting time to find you.

19. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

just practice really, I'm off to give them tips in the vid a go :)

20. greenturnips

Good news, it works and is an excellent game, well if my son stops hogging it i might get a go. The only problem i get is it is very resource hungry and when the grafix card gets hot it slows down until it cools a little. I might have to invest in one of those laptop colling pad thingies

Tags: