1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Team Fortress 2 trailer now available online

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 20 Jul 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. kickarse

kickarse New Member

Wow looks really good. A bit "The Ship" type shading, colors and characters. I can't wait!

3. SeBbY_007

SeBbY_007 New Member

It sort of reminds me of XIII, but with better graphics. I never played the original but it does tempt me into buying Episode 2.

RE:atanum141 - Maybe your thread was missed because it was in the Console section instead of PC Gaming? Only thing I can think of.

4. bahgger

bahgger New Member

I love the new style and I think it'll add variety to Source's current games. It'd get boring if everything was as realistic as it is right now. I'm glad they're diversifying.

5. BioSniper

BioSniper New Member

As was said in the previous thread about TF2, its more like Evil Genius than it is any movies imo :p

6. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

I really like the look, actually. I'm pretty surprised at exactly how MUCH I like it....seems to be a little nicer than "the ship". But those guys are fairly new at all this, and I expect their graphics will improve a bit more over time

7. BlueDemon

BlueDemon New Member

8. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

wow, that looks very impressive. ive just bought EP1 tonight to get up to speed for EP2 and this game to make the purchase worthy i guess :p

i missed the first team fortress game though, anyone fancy giving me a bit of a run down on it? is it basically a BF2 scenario or is there a type of search and deestroy element to it or something? i only want a brief idea to get the jist no essay's please :D

9. LVMike

LVMike New Member

wow.... um cartoony but that has an appeal all its own. did anyone else notice that the sniper looks like Muldoon from Jurassic Park?

10. hacker 8991

hacker 8991 New Member

Team Fortress Classic was Valve's rendition of Team Fortress, which was developed for Quake. The game itself has a few ways to play, ranging from capture the flag to territory control, among others. In every game mode, you can choose a class (Sniper, Soldier, etc.) which has distinct advantages and disadvantages. Effective use of all classes (i.e., utilize your class's strengths) allows you to do better at the game.

If I remember correctly, TF was the origin of team-based online gameplay in first-person shooters. Furthermore, the Battlefield series was based off the ideas presented for Valve's Team Fortress 2, until it changed into its present form.

- tf

11. modster

modster New Member

i still have the good old tf (the one for quake.. not tfc) and play it once a while (people are still playing it! can you believe that?). honestly, i dont like the new cartoon look that much. :-\

12. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Personally I think the cartoon look sucks. I'm someone who likes ultra-gritty FPS, but this just seems like a bad idea to me. Maybe it'll be fun, but I can't help but feel that using apparently realistic characters and environments could be much more involving.

13. hacker 8991

hacker 8991 New Member

Are you familiar with Battlefield 2?

[​IMG]

14. jakenbake

jakenbake full duplex

i wanna see some first person shots, not these animated clips that we'll never see while actually playing the game. kind of a weak "preview" IMHO.

15. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan New Member

yeah.. in game footage please. I played tfc for about 4 years. And i hoped it would look better in tf2. And now they are making fun of it. While a lot of people play it "professionaly" they make it look like a cheap cartoonnetwork cartoon. They got the best engine in the world and they make it look like a cartoon...

This is the way it SHOULD look:
    http://www.fortress-forever.com/?a=media

16. Agent_M

Agent_M Member

im sure some people will make an ultra-real skin pack for it for all the people not liking the look. personaly i like it, the game play in tfc was never realistic so why make it look it? people using grenades to do super jumps etc im actualy gonna buy ep2 for this and portal i think

17. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

i bloody love it. bout time too. EVERY single FPS out there goes for uber realistic omgyoucanseetheirpores graphics, and frankly i'm bored of it. they use photorealism as a license to ignore the responsibility to come up with an interesting aesthetic. don't get me wrong, photorealism works, sometimes. look at half life 2. but the thing with that is they put a lot of thought into the actual design of the visuals - not just "oh, grab some photos and texturemap them, sorted". But then look at other games like killer7. awesome visual style which completely works. both games probably had countless hours worth of design put into them on the aesthetics front. TF2 looks to have had the same thought put into it. OK, so the "heavy" char looks like mr. incredible. So what? look at all the other character designs - they're awesome. that's not just tired imitation.

what i want to see is *more* games experimenting with unique visual styles- much like movie directors experiment with different photographic techniques. we have a great, versatile medium with video games, and it's a shame to waste all that potential on "generic photorealistic shooter X...... 2!!!!"

18. K

K 528491

I think more people seem to be for the bold art direction, as opposed to against it. I mean, come on, TF was never exactly very realistic. You bounced half away across maps with concussion grenades and rocket jumped out of pits with ease. The fast paced frantic gameplay is perfect for this aesthetic, I love it! I spent ages playing TFC and to date it's the only FPS I ever played and belonged to a clan and a league etc. I cannot wait for this to drop :D

BUT... I was actually even more impressed with how fun Portals looks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku9gHA22W7g&search=valve portal

19. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Yeeas :baby:

I don't think I really explained what I meant well enough. I'm not talking about realistic locations and weaponry and stuff, just saying I think that graphics that are aiming to be as photorealistic as possible with the current tech would be more suited to what I expect will or at least should be a serious multiplayer game.

That's not to say I want another soulless game, I agree fully with those who say that graphics comes first too much, and that they're often used as an excuse for shipping a terrible game, but what I desire is serious, good graphics and a good game.

20. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

100% agree with you there, theres far too many 'real' looking games, glad to see something different but not surprised its valve thats doing it :rock:

Tags: Add Tags