1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Telephone wiring problems

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Genestarwind, 4 Jun 2008.

1. Genestarwind

Genestarwind What's a Dremel?

hey guys i've recently been having problems with my broadband connection and isolated the problem as bad wiring causing the SNR to drop drastically and dropping my speed from about 11 meg to 5. I isolated the problem by removing the faceplate on the master socket and connecting the modem directly to the 'test' socket on the inside. Ive managed to get hold of an ADSL adapter frontplate which will filter the signal before it gets to the extension sockets as thats where my router is anyway.

Now i'm going to be fitting the new faceplate tonight but i'm having trouble finding information about wiring the extension up.

I'm not asking how to go about actually wiring it up as that's straight forward. The problem is that there are two extension sockets in the flat - one of which has never worked. Here's the faceplate:

[​IMG]

(googled imaged)

The way its currently wired it seems to have 6 wires connecting to three of the idc connectors, is that ok to do? Everything i've searched for on the net doesn't say. Now i could be wrong as i'm at work at the moment and it might be cat5e cabling if so this doesn;t matter, but one of the sockets has never worked and i was wondering if this doubling up of the wires as it looks could be the problem.

Any ideas guys?

2. Golygus

Golygus Minimodder

the uk telephone system uses just 2 wires. (used to use 3, and some people connect 4 for neatness).

the BT line coming in should have green black, orange and white.

Usually the primary telephone line in the house will be orange and white, but on occasion, things can be different.

If you have a modern NCT5 socket (with the lower removable section, giving access to the test socket, and a further section giving access to the main line) you should find that the line coming in is connected as follows: Orange to B, and white to A

Internal wiring should be Blue with white pin 2, white with blue pin 5. If you want to connect any others, Orange with white pin 3, white with orange pin 4. pins 1 and 6 are not used at all. Like I said, we only use pins 2 and 5 so you only need connect the blue wires.

BT Orange - B - 2 - Blue with White
    ....................- 3 - Orange with white
    ....................- 4 - White with orange
    BT White...- A - 5 - White with Blue

Technically, the polarity of telephone wiring doesn't matter, but some equipment doesn't like it. To check, get a multimeter, there should be -48v on B (orange) and 0v on A (white).

Last edited: 4 Jun 2008
  3. Genestarwind

thats more or less what i had gathered but is it ok to have more than one set of wires connecting to the same idc socket?

4. Golygus

Golygus Minimodder

preferably 2, no more than 3.

5. Genestarwind

ok cool i was wondering if that setup was causing the problem with the extra socket not working, thats fine once ive reconnected it ill test it again if that other socket still doesnt work then obv theres something else wrong.

thanks for the help guys {^_^}

6. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Coming in to the master socket should be 2 wires.
    Inside the house for extensions should be 3 - 1 of those is the ringer.

7. Genestarwind

yeah tahts the standard setup but from what i remember when i took the panel off there are two sets of three wires connecting to one idc connector

8. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

http://www.adslnation.com/support/extensions.php

But to possibly explain Golygus' 2-wire system;
    So read the full article and decide if it fits your needs.

Another factor is that some extension sockets may have been installed with cheap non-twisted pair cable (I think I have a short stretch of burglar-alarm cable in my spur to under the computer desk) which can affect performance.

9. Genestarwind

sorted it, i was wrong it wasnt doubled up when i came to do the wiring i think it was cat 5 there were 8 wires and only 4 were in use, the new adsl filter plate only needs 3 for the extension so its all sorted. I still dont know whats wrong with the other socket but to be honest unless im gonna get sky i dont need it as i use cordless phones.

Thanks for the help and advice everyone {^_^}

10. getzephyr

getzephyr What's a Dremel?

try to use 2 wires not 3 are more

11. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Resurrected for info. BT are selling a gizmo at around £17;
    Don't know what's in the iPlate but looks like disconnecting the "bell wire" (#3, orange with white rings, see post#8) at a dedicated ADSL socket is a cheaper way of eliminating any interference. ;)