1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Tell me if this idea sounds ok..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ivan2740, 30 May 2002.

1. ivan2740

ivan2740 What's a Dremel?

I was thinkin last night while windows took its time installing, and I starting wondering about putting a radiater inside a res.... would this work at all? I kinda starting to doubt it as i thought more and more because the water would have to be moving over it to transfer the heat well... but maybe a underwater fan or some type of rig could be set up? yeah i'm rambling now,=)

2. scopEDog

scopEDog Minimodder

Draxin and Coolrunnin were just talking about this..sounds like an interesting idea, but how would you cool off the water? I guess you still need a fan of some kind but water deals with heat alot better than air does, so the theory is sound. Give it a go and let us know! :D

3. ivan2740

ivan2740 What's a Dremel?

Hmm
    Sounds like you are thinking of having a res set up with the heatercore in it that is NOT connected to the entire system, which could actually work, if the water was cooled, but I was thinking to have the systems water stored in that res, with the heatercore in it... so the heatercore would cool the system and the systems water would cool the heatercore... but i dunno, it has its flaws, and now that I think about it, i'm not sure it would work.. the water might be too warm for the heatercore to cool.... Hmmm
    i think i might try something like this out, could be a month or so=P

On the other hand, having a seperate water system for cooling the heatercore would work supremely well... just have to think about how you would cool the water that cools the heatercore *oh no i've gone cross eyed*=P

4. *mat-ster*

*mat-ster* What's a Dremel?

Sure it would work!

What you have described is a "Heat Exchanger" this method for PC cooling has limitations:-
    Bigger
    Requires 2 "rads" or sites of thermal transfer
    U still need to cool the liquid or provide a continuous fresh supply

5. samuelellis

samuelellis What's a Dremel?

i know someone who lives near a natural running stream about a metre from his house oh his property) so he has jsut extended the watercoolin piping from the pc, out of the wall of the house & put the radiator in the stream, (natures finest achivement that stream) watercooling 2 pc's he says it stays fantastically cool so if you could keep both things cool then yes putting your radiator in water would work

6. Draxin

Draxin Seeker of Photons

i would sugest (this is from theorys and ideas not experience) using an alluminum "bucket" filled with water not conected to the water supply for the computer put your radiator in this. now the part im sure i will be flamed for. to the aluminum bucket attach 2 pelts of whatever wattage you want, wire these up to a dc converter and plug them into the wall, you can also use that power source for cooling the pelts, but since the pelts are not in the system the heat output and condensation arent that big of a deal since you could put you BUCKET away from the tower, i recomended alluminum for the buket for its heat transfer properties.
    a setup of this kind will allow you to drop the water below amb. and help you avoid PELT heat output and condensation.

but here again i still havent used water cooling yet, im just good at designing things and coming up with new ideas, so ill let the experts chew on this and see how they like the taste of it.

7. mugsy

mugsy What's a Dremel?

radiator in resevoir

If you put the radiator from your pc system in the res all your going to end up doing is preheating the water you send through the system. You will end up with a very hot water system.
    Yes you must have 2 seperate water systems to make this work. The rad in the res (hehe) would work great as long as it goes to another rad to cool it off. You must get the heat out of the case somehow or its just not going to work.

8. Draxin

Draxin Seeker of Photons

you dont need another water cooling system just a tank of cold water im drawing up plans for it as i type this and the more i think about it the more i think it could be a most usefull tool for water cooled systems sub ambient temps would be posable

more later

Tags: