1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food & Drink Tell me your secrets of London. Going there in a couple of weeks

Discussion in 'General' started by Twellmann, 2 Oct 2011.

1. Twellmann

Twellmann Carnivorous Homunculus

Almighty Bit-Techers, share with me your best kept secrets of London !!

In a couple of weeks me and my GF will be visiting the great city, and I'd like some inspiration.

We'll be staying just near the Russel Square station, so if you have any recommendations on food and drink etc.. in that part of town, it'd be much appreciated :D

This is my first time in London, but my GF spent some time working there, ages ago. So naturally we have to find a compromise between me wanting to be somewhat touristy, and her wanting to enjoy the city in a less touristy fashion.

So... Please share your insights, secrets and preferences here.

There are of course a few essentials :D:

• Where do I get a decent pint?
    • Where do I get decent Fish & Chips?
    • Where do I get a decent Curry (Vindaloo)

http://maps.google.dk/maps?daddr=51.523331,-0.127856&hl=da&ll=51.523264,-0.127196&spn=0.001919,0.004823&sll=51.523297,-0.127196&sspn=0.001852,0.004823&vpsrc=0&gl=dk&mra=mift&mrsp=1&sz=18&t=h&z=18
    Regards

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I was living in Russell Square, so I can tell you just on the back of it is a pub called the Marquis Cornwallis (on Coram/Marchmond Street), which has one of the larges selections of beer you're ever likely to see. It also does a kick ass burger and fish and chips.

3. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

london is far from a great city, its a rat maze of back roads and is a **** pit populated by people with too much money.

the air stinks and the level of arrogance is beyond human. save your money and go somewhere nicer.

Guest-23315 and chrisb2e9 like this.
  4. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

^^ We wuv you too.

Cuddles?

5. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Not what I was expecting from this thread....
    But +rep for speaking from your heart!

6. GingerFox

GingerFox What's a Dremel?

I enjoyed how negative that was!:)

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Lol, epic negativity from Gunsmith. Sounds like he's had a bad experience with a few dickheads.

Imo it's a great place, but a few too many fools and tourists unfortunately.

As for what to do - it's london. You could spend a lifetime there and never do everything interesting. But srsly you're near Camden and Islington, shedloads of interesting bars and restaurants to occupy you of an evening. :)

Last edited: 2 Oct 2011
  8. Twellmann

Twellmann Carnivorous Homunculus

Whatever I do what I want :D

thehippoz likes this.
  9. Akkatha

Akkatha *SCREECH!* /run away.

Brick Lane is pretty much mecca for curry houses in London, theres tonnes of them there for you to choose and all open pretty late!

As far as bars go, if you like rock music then the Crobar is hands down the best bar in London. it's just off Tottenham Court Road really close to Foyles book shop. Ask around and people will point you in the right direction, or look it up on a map first. Basically it's a tiny little place where they sell beer/cider in cans or bottles and whiskey.... and that's about it! The jukebox is awesome too, just rock and metal, nothing else :) Happy hour is from 2pm till 9pm too, with whiskey and coke for about £2, dirt cheap. Sounds like a shoddy advert but seriously, I've never had a bad time in there.

Failing that, if you like the softer indie stuff then you can't go too wrong with Fri/Sat at KOKO just outside Camden. I've only been once though so i don't remember the details, but it's a bit fancier looking and a bit more expensive.

If you're after a good pint of real ale then check out the Bree Louise pub in Euston, it's about 5 mins walk from the station. Always a huge selection of cask ales poured straight from the barrel into the glass, really nice place. Awesome steak and ale pie's from there too, well worth a lunch!

Man I really really miss London, been in Dubai 6 weeks now and while the beach and the huge buildings are cool, it really has nothing on the feel and culture back home.

Hope this helps!

10. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

I used to go there back when I was a student and it was still The Goose. Mainly because a mate worked there and it was close to most of us, but away from most of the student packed bars like Scream The Court (Always got confused - they did the Scream burger there, lol) and Duck & Dive. UCL Cheesecake.

Oh, the Hare And Tortoise near there is great for japanese/chinese food. Well, it's way better than wagamama at any rate (which isn't hard, lol)

Oh. go to Wong Kei in chinadown. It's hilarious. For actual good Chinese food go elsewhere (Yauatcha for high end, gerrard's Corner for dim sum, Joy King Lau for general good chinese), but it's cheap and totally worth experiencing for the insane "YOU TWO PEOPLE? HERE SIT WITH FIFTEEN STRANGERS. ORDER NOW. HERE, EAT FOOD. PAY! LEAVE!" experience.

you should go to Borough Market on Saturday morning; it's great.

Save Sunday for some museums that are open; Tate Modern is empty on a Sunday and it's great to sit in front of Monet's water lilies in an empty gallery.

Don't bother with Oxford Street for shopping (Regent Street is OK and has some pretty cool flagship stores, though). It's full of tourists and the shops aren't even that good. For actual shopping the side streets around covent garden are good but again stay away from the main bits at peak times - it gets packed and frustrating. For department stores, go to Selfridges and Harvey Nichols, but not Harrods - it's pointless and full of tourist tat (although I'll admit it has some decent menswear).

Try and walk to get to places and don't be afraid to take random detours; you'll see a lot more cool stuff. The centre of London really isn't that huge and it's very easy to end up falling into the trap of taking the tube to get somewhere that would have been a 10 minute walk. Remember, tube maps are not to scale.

sorry for the ramblage, I kept editing to add stuff. Yelp.co.uk is a good resource for reviews of places, by the way.

Last edited: 2 Oct 2011
    nchhabs likes this.
  11. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

There are so many things to go and see in London, there are some good suggestions above. The only thing I would mention is to get an Oyster card each - it makes getting around (on the Tube, buses etc) much easier.

All the information you could ever want to know about getting around London is on TFL's website:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk

Enjoy your trip. :)

12. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I should start writing this down for the next time I'm around London town. :)

13. bigkingfun

bigkingfun Tinkering addict

I don't mean to hijack your thread Twellmann, but I too am going.

Any student bars?

I will be staying by Vincent Square.

14. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Lots of student ones around Euston/Warren St.

The Court on Tottenham Court Road is a personal fav.

15. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Hardly.

16. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

HAHAHA......HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA......HAHAHAHAHAaaaaaa

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

While not as negative as Mister Gunsmith, I would avoid TCH cause it's a shithole of a street that's stuck in the 80s - although right on the corner where it joins Oxford Street is a Muji (last time I visited 18 months ago) and I think more people should go shop in Muji! Go along further to Goodge Street instead, then off to Caroline street that runs perpendicular to it. Loads of great places to eat along there, of all nationalities. You're also a stones throw from Dennis Publishing :p If you want the most authentic Italian sandwich in London: go to Dino's on Goodge Street Place. Not too late though and lunchtimes be prepared to wait cause the shop is v.small.

Other nice places to see if you fancy a strole are Bond street and new Bond street; along with the arcades that run down.

If you want to impress a lady with a Michelin star restaurant, and you don't mind a trek, head out to Turnham Green. There's a small place there called La Trompette. http://www.latrompette.co.uk/ Expensive, but extremely delicious and quiet.

18. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

19. mejobloggs

mejobloggs What's a Dremel?

I'm going there next week. More suggestions people :) Gonna be there a while

20. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

Bodeans in Camden! Get the Pulled Pork and Burnt Ends - Absolute meat heaven!

Monday nights is cheap drinks in Walkabout on the corner of Shaftsbury avenue (short walk from Leicester Sq). It used to be really good, but last time I was in it seemed to be packed with South Americans? :S

If you're further east, Shoreditch is always good for a laugh, and there's nothing like tying the night up with a Salt Beef Bagel at one of the Jewish bakeries!

If you're around Canary Wharf (which quite frankly is full of finance boys and is dead on weekends) then check out a pub called 'The Gun', does awesome food!