1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food & Drink Tell me your secrets of London. Going there in a couple of weeks

Discussion in 'General' started by Twellmann, 2 Oct 2011.

1. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

VERY YES. I rather like the boston butt sandwich myself; the burnt ends sandwich seemed a little too cloying.

2. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

I guess this is a bump?

Tube etiquette. Doing all of this will save you many stern glares (which if you're from anywhere else in the world other than the UK is roughly equivalent to a rage-filled stabbing)

If at all possible, avoid using the tube between the hours of 8-9:30am and 6-7pm. It's absurdly busy.
    Don't randomly stop, anywhere. If you need to stop to check a sign or map, pull yourself to the side and make sure you're not obstructing entrances/exits.
    Stand on the right of the escalators. Seriously, just do it. The left side is for walking.
    Once you get onto the platform, move along it. Don't stand there like a muppet - the platform fills up fast at peak times and you're just clogging the entrance. You're also more likely to get a seat.
    Let people off the train first. THEN get on.

3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

If I find you standing at the top of the escalator, or on the left when you're supposed to be on the right, I will give you a kidney punch. They are my (and an awful lot of Londoners) pet hates.

4. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

The best thing about the Oyster Card is once you have one and you get the flat travelcard, doesn't matter how many tube zones you pick, you've got a bus pass for the whole city, just in case you feel like hopping on and off buses.

I don't know if they do Zones 1 and 2 only anymore, 1-3 will be £32.20 each and IIRC you don't need photocards anymore (Don't hold me to that! Check on the site above or just take a passport picture each just in case or for souvenirs' sake), but the station where you get them may still charge you the £3 registration fee. If you want to do it ultra cheap and have lots of time to get stuck in jams, the bus pass alone is £16.60 per week for Zones 1-4 (which on the buses, is the whole city, Z5-9 are the sticks on the Underground).

In addition to the Gerrard Street Chinatown recommendations behind Leicester Square, I'd add The Friendly Inn, been there many a birthday and really enjoyed it.

For music, Berwick Street off Oxford Street had many great small record shops, if you feel like a wander you can turn off the main street and see if Selectadisc and Mister CD to name but two, are still around. Even if you're an iTunes baby, good for browsing and as the names imply, only one of them does vinyl.

Feel like a quick flick? Until Thursday 13th October, get 40% off at the Odeon by pre-printing the vouchers before you travel - if that's impractical but you both have smartphones, text Priority to 2020 if you're with O2, select Odeon, and you'll get a code to get in free! (unknown if the latter is iPhone only). For info on that, see

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/cheap-cinema-tickets

But there's always Orange Wednesdays as well of course, but that will pack out the cinema if you wait for the evening.

That's all I can remember right now off the top of my head, for everything else we're forgetting, get yourself a copy of Time Out for the week you're coming down. Tomorrow is my last travelcard day so if I see anything else when I'm out I'll edit it in.

[EDIT] But! Avoid Ice Cream Sellers around the Regents Park area, the beggars want three quid for a 99!

[EDIT 2]Other good general guides to pick up once you're actually down for listings are Metro itself on Thursday or Friday, then Stylist for Women or Shortlist for Men, official days Wednesday and Thursday but sometimes handed out the night before. They will err on the side of perceived cool though, whereas a paid mag like Time Out will attempt to cover the lot.

5. rak500

rak500 Minimodder

Pints:
    Ain't nothing but... Blues bar in kingly street, especially sunday evenings from 5pm till late, awesome music, awesome people: Jam session and then gig. bit pricey though.
    Ye old cheshire cheese on fleet street, awesome old pub, cheap and good pints from a york brewery.

Food:
    Eat tokyo on Romilly street: awesome food: massive bento/ fresh japanese stuff personal favourite... Maybe not your cup of tea...
    thousands of curry house in and around Brick lane...

Also Crobar mentionned earlier is a metal bar, which is either awesome or better.

Hope that helps.

6. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

heheh I always thought in london.. I'd be standing on a street corner waiting for the light to cross and a guy with a monocle would come up from behind with a trenchcoat and an umbrella and ask me if I had any grey poupon.. I say but of course and whip it out..

then I wake up in cold sweats

7. Ferino

Ferino Minimodder

Went to London last weekend (before reading this thread) found Bodean's by accident, and by god that will be my first stop every time I'm in London from this point forth. Took ages to que up and were lucky to get a seat but the pulled pork and burnt end sandwich. Best. Food. Ever.

8. Twellmann

Twellmann Carnivorous Homunculus

Hello all, thanks for all your advice. Had a great time. It turned out that I was living within spitting distance of the Marquis Cornwallis, great place, went there a couple of times.

Camden Market was absolutely crazy :D in a good way
    Harrods was absolutely crazy:( in a bad way. Who needs Ralph Lauren bedsheets??

Museums were great and free, very nice.
    The tube was ok, but what's with the low ceiling height on the cars?? I could only stand fully erect at the apex. (tee hee) :D

Nice beer, mediocre hotel, absolutely worthless concierge (well one stupid slacker at least. He couldn't be bothered with anything.
    Me: Can you print out a single page with our boardingpasses??
    Him: Hmm no.

Me: Can you help figure out when the train for Stanstead leaves, our flight is at 7:00??.
    Him: hmm no.

Me: Could you tell us about a pub with live music??.
    Him: Hmm, maybe.. (He then tries to write DUBLIN something, but fails at spelling and life and gets his co-worker to take over(take over his job, not his life. Maybe...))).

But otherwise a great trip :D

I love parenthesissses

Last edited: 3 Nov 2011