1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Temperatures seem Way to High for Normal Operation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 1st time modder, 7 Sep 2004.

1. 1st time modder

1st time modder What's a Dremel?

ok, just recently i bought a brand new Abit IS7 mobo from directron. I got it all up and running just fine, but now my temps for the cpu and graphics card seem a bit too high. Running a Northwood 2.0A GHZ at 107*F :worried: , on a coolermaster AERO, the strange thing is that the heatsink isnt even warm, before putting the heatsink on i applied some AS5. Could i have put on too much. Since I was told that a zalman vga cooler wounldn't fit because AGP slot was too close to the NB fan. So i took out of my closet an artic cooling VGA silencer. Since then i have noticed that artifacts appear once i go to 400GPU 340RAM on a radeon 9800pro, But before on my zalman i could get to 415/370 and have no artifacts running it 24/7 thanks to 4 fans off of 2 old P2 slot coolers. Right now i dont have it overclocked and the back of the card seems too hot right near where the GPU sits, could i have applied too much AS5 in this situation also, or too little, or is this heatsink just a piece of crap.

2. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Hmmmm you probably did put on too much AS5, but then again, those heatsinks arent very good. Re-seat the heatsinks and see if that fixes things at all. As for the CPU heatsink though, its not as good, so temps are going to be higher. and 107* Fahrenheit isnt that bad. :/

3. 1st time modder

1st time modder What's a Dremel?

would a pretty cool heatsink be an indication of too much AS5

4. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

A cold heatsink when your board is reporting hot is either an indication of poor contact (whether caused by bad mounting or too much/little thermal goop) or of crap sensors on the board - don't trust them by any means. 107°F (= 41°C for non-Americans) isn't worryingly hot anyway.