1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Temperatures

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ZeffriN, 16 Dec 2001.

1. ZeffriN

ZeffriN What's a Dremel?

Hey guys!

Well, I put some thermal paste on my heatsink, and pulled the sensor right up to touch the CPU... Now Im idling at 58Degrees!!!!

I'm running a stock standard Duron 850. Can this temp be for real?! Should I be worried.

2. ZeffriN

ZeffriN What's a Dremel?

I should add though.

Idling atm

CPU 57degrees
    MB 37 Degrees
    and Ambient also 37degrees

CPU seems to be 20degrees above case temp idling

Is this normal for a Duron 850?

Also, perhaps my heat is coming from my voltage being incorrectly set

What should it be set at?

3. Phil

Phil What's a Dremel?

if the voltage is high and the cooling isn't great, an idle temp of 48 isn't that surprising.

modding the temp probe can cause the reported temp as 10C higher than before, so 58 doesn't really seem all that bad.

What idle temp did you get before modding the temp probe ?

4. ZeffriN

ZeffriN What's a Dremel?

Around 8-10 degrees less.

Problem is, if I turn off my case fans and run like a normal machine I crash while playing 3d games.

That's not normal Im thinking

Most people have systems better than mine, with my card or better and normal cases with next to no airflow and they don't crash playing games.

What's wrong with me =(

What should my voltage be for the CPU, I'll have to get the manual out and check the DIP switch

5. Phil

Phil What's a Dremel?

my computer often crahes too if I don't have all the fans on (although that's more to do with cpu cooling than case coling in my case)

You want to set the voltage to 1.75 unless it's overclocked, Im presuming it is not.

You could probably get away with 1.70 or 1.65 if your mobo supports it...not sure if that will work, but it bound to lessen the temperature.

Perhaps the new thermal paste you used isn't working too well..or the heatsink isn't as well aligned as before ?

6. RTT

RTT #parp

seems a little high to me, that's be hitting over 60 load, and that isnt good.

what HSF is it? and how much thermal stuff did you use? was it AS2??

7. ZeffriN

ZeffriN What's a Dremel?

Yah, it's too high. The computer crashes as I mentioned.

I don't understand why th ough why stock config.

I put a thin layer of that stuff onto the hsf and then spread it out heaps to make sure it was nice n thin.

It's just a **** HSF the computer store gave me with the chip. But considering Im just running it at standard speed it should be fine?!

The Paste is just whatever Thermal Take gives you with their Blue Orb. It was all I had handy =)

8. jamiesurfs

jamiesurfs Boom Boom, Cha Cha Cha!

That is a bit too high mate. get some better cooling in there and some AS2 if you don't already! Anything above 50 degrees idle is a bit much really1:eek:

9. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

My CPU idles at room temp + 17C, with increased voltage, and overclocked. My case temp always = room temp, so my typical idle temp is 37C or so. Load temp is about 46C (absolute maximum load....running a game or something results in not more than about 43C). However, I am sure that if I switched off case fans, it would become unstable.

10. sTevE

sTevE What's a Dremel?

Maybe its your sensor. Check that.

11. ZeffriN

ZeffriN What's a Dremel?

How do I go about checking the validity of the sensor?

12. Gandi69

Gandi69 Like to get busy wit fizzy..

Make sure its as near as possible to the CPU die. Apart from that, maybe change ur temperature software?

PS: Get sum decent cooling on that Duron eg: Taisol, Sk6 etc. See if you can get sum decent temps going.
    *useless info My celeron runs,full load, at 30° in a warm room, in my GW802 with 3 80mil fans ) */useless info. AMD's run hotter than Intels tho, but anyhow see what you can do :)

13. Alaric

Alaric code assassin

move it away from your comp and put an ordinary mercury/alchol thermometer next to it and leave for a while till the temps settle - the ordinary thermometer is probably more accurate if your worried about the sensor gone weird

mind you 30 deg ambient is quite hot :)

14. ZeffriN

ZeffriN What's a Dremel?

Wow, my room runs at over 30 degrees most days.

I got a Coolermaster HSF, somewhat bigger and better looking than the one I was using.

I've dropped 10-17degrees by just doing that

Atm I'm running @ 43degrees. Remembering that most people don't push their sensor up to the chip, and before I did that it was reporting 12degrees less than afterwards I can only assume my 43 is close to most peoples 31.

While playing some h4ardc0re games I got it up to 51 degrees (without case fans on) and it was fine. I guess this is better than 68 degrees it'd go to before.

With case fans on, h4ardc0re gaming takes it to around 45 degrees.

I'm quite happy with the $25 I invested in a new HSF.

Thanks for all your tips guys

15. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

MBM5 readout on my Duron 850:
    [​IMG]
    The core voltage is a nominal 1.6v
    Lapped Taisol 760, stock fan, Maplin's white goo, MSI Turbo LE, Antec SX1030b, 3 x 7-volted case fans.

The room temp down near floor level is 13C (bloody cold outside) though it's 18C at desk level. When I went straight to BIOS at boot this morning the cpu was 14C, mobos 11/14C, cpu got to 22C by the time Win was ready, at 26C 5 minutes later.

16. ZeffriN

ZeffriN What's a Dremel?

I dare say those temps are impossible for me this time of year.

Looking at my desktop readout. My room temp is 27.9.. Outside my window is 32.2, my case temp is 25degrees (hasn't been on long) and cpu is at 41 degrees so far.

17. TiTch

TiTch h2o cooled

Outside my window is bloody cold:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

However much you play around with the mobo temp probe, you will never get a true reading, only an on core proble will do that as you have with the XP and P4. If it is crashing though, it is not right. I had my 850 duron running at 1.05 with the Silverado and not one crash.