1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Temporary name: Bloo Balls --6-29-'11 Bloo 2.0 refit COMPLETED page 47

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cheapskate, 3 Jun 2007.

1. rytmehunden

rytmehunden I love glory and fame

haha i see what you mean!! i agree that it is more fun to follow through real modding evolution instead of finished products.

cheers

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Thanks. I hope that's true, because this update is lame...
    [​IMG]
    -Work-wise, I'm making huge progress. Mod-wise...well, I made a jig.(Yawn.)
    [​IMG]
    -and I screwed the rough plate to the psu cover.(More yawn.)
    [​IMG]
    -I got my order in from geeks, but something was odd about the floppy. The housing was bent in the back, and the front has silver paint on it. someone tried to hide it with a black marker. That seems strange for a drive advertised as 'new'.
    [​IMG]
    -I took the c r a p-tastic thing apart to find someone had painted the insides to hide some rust spots. They left a bit of dust and hair in there too. This is either a returned floppy, or used. In my book either means used.
    ...but hey, it runs! I'll keep it. (-aaannnd I already broke the tamper seal and filed down the sides of the faceplate.:p)
    [​IMG]
    The other $5 item I picked up WAS new. A shiny Chinese made optical mouse. I forced the poor thing apart and sanded the casting line off the clear top. I'm currently trying to figure out what I can do with it that won't be in the way of my fingers. Racing stripe fins look like my best option for the back.

Time for another one of these...:D
    [​IMG]

3. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

:hehe:, Cheapskate. God, that's typical Geeks right there! I don't order from them anymore due to the inflated shipping quotes. Gack. Sorry to hear about the 'pre-used' floppy. lol. I've seen those mice around before. I always wondered if they feel ergonomic in the hand. I mean, do they feel comfortable when using them?

4. rytmehunden

rytmehunden I love glory and fame

Hey man.. thats just pure crap about that floppy.. how the hell can they sell stuff like that? You live in the states right? Sue them for like 20 billions for ruining your life :D

Works well over there ive heard.. hehe

Also sry to hear about that psu cover :blah: Hope you get it together..
    Looking forward to your nesxt update :D

5. Cheapskate

Thanks dudes!

@EEL - I agree-Typical Geeks. They are bad about the used laptops being an (A,B,C,) grade less than they advertise too. They had a special on $2 shipping, and RMAing would be more in shiping than the cost of the part.
    I already chopped the bujessus out of the drive and have it in place.
    On the mouse: I'm lefthanded, and hold mice sideways, so I'm not who you want to ask. I will say the buttons are a little stiff and need to be broke in. -But hey, five bucks!

@rytmehunden - I think you misread... I didn't screw it UP, I screwed it ON.:D No bad stuff, just dull stuff.
    Sue? Only if a floppie shot out of it and hurt me.:naughty: We have already strong-armed Geeks into refunds in the past. Doing it for $5 would be kinda extreme.

6. widmod

widmod Minimodder

so painting one of your gray floppys yourself would have given you the same effect? :wallbash:
    great plexiwork as always...

7. Cheapskate

Thanks, widmod. No, I'm adding raised plexi fins in a stripe pattern. I'm hoping I can heat them up and fit them to mousie without destroying him. The ABS the mouse is made of has a lower melting point than plexi, so this should be fun.:( I'm also thinking about adding something to the front where my fingers can't reach.

8. Cheapskate

I'm doing a lot talk and not much modding. This update of stuff I already spoke of is proof.
    [​IMG]
    -I ran into a snag putting the new floppie in. The new drive has a huge button. I decided the best option was to chop the button down. (Sorry, no pics of my tiny button.:D)
    [​IMG]
    -I think I know what happened to the old one too. There's a nice hole burned in the chip.
    [​IMG]
    -My cable work at this point. I need to un-sleeve the motherboard cables a bit, I cant get the PSU cover on.
    [​IMG]
    -It's far from over yet. Look at the pretty snarl of wires under the CD drive. Utter chaos! I have an extra coil of tubing over one of the copper lines here because I wanted to see what the pipes would look like if I had added a red candy coat.
    [​IMG]
    -I slipped in some quick soldering when I got in the other night, (around midnight.) I had the outer ring ready to add, but I must have tweaked it at some point. When the heat hit it, it went 'boing' and the solder to close the loop separated.
    It's difficult to use the porch for torching stuff at the time. in the winter it's converted into a greenhouse. It's filled with plants, -Nice, FLAMMABLE plants! I'm not sure where I'm going to use the heat gun, either.:(
    [​IMG]
    -That didn't stop me from geting started. I had a thin sliver of red tubing in the scrap box. I decided to use that to 'paint' the mouse buttons. The stuff the mouse is made of gets really soft when the solvent hits it, so I have little bubbles coming out from under the stripe. I have more than a few fingerprints to sand out too. Maybe I should melt my thumbprint into it to sign my work.:hehe:
    [​IMG]
    -This is all I have so far. -Better than nothing.:D
    I got my Christmas the other day. A scroll saw! It may be a while before I get to use it. Yesterday involved mortar, grout, paint, light fixtures, a toilet install, (Quit flushing toys!!!) trying to fix a stove, and a hell of a lot of cleaning.:(

[​IMG]
    :D

Last edited: 22 Jan 2008
  9. tribaloverkill

tribaloverkill Who needs sleep,... bah.

You're an awesome modder man,...

10. cheezeit

cheezeit What's a Dremel?

Your work is awesome!

sorry if I missed it, but why are you even going to incorporate a floppy drive anyway?

11. Cheapskate

Thanks! 2 awesomes in a row.:D

@Cheezeit - Aw, not again...:duh: Reply is here.:D

12. Cheapskate

Another tiny update for anyone who still reads this...:worried::D
    [​IMG]
    -I was digging around in the scrap box for parts again. I came across some 2-ply bits and decided to glue them together like this. I'm using this stuff to make some stops for the pipe support bracket.
    [​IMG]
    -For cutting tiny bits on my new scroll saw, I used a bit of sandwich box lid.
    [​IMG]
    -The packing cellophane came out again to keep the parts from fusing together during gluing. I wouldn't be able to remove the power supply if this bracket was permanent.
    [​IMG]
    -The unfinished bracket. One unfinished part? I sure am watering the updates down, eh?

This tiny update brought to you by DangerDen!:clap:
    [​IMG]

13. Cheapskate

[​IMG]
    -Bits to make a hook for the pipe bracket.
    [​IMG]
    -Magically finished bracket. -No pics...It just, happened.:eyebrow:
    [​IMG]
    -I'm making more checkerboard for something. (I don't know what yet either.)
    [​IMG]
    -I proceeded to give my mouse a mohawk. Heating this bit and getting it straight was impossible. It has a slight curve to it in the back. I used the heavier Tap/IPS #16 glue because of the gaps.
    [​IMG]
    -Adding a blue stripe on the top was much easier. I only needed a blowtorch lighter to shape it.
    [​IMG]
    -I alternated between gluing and heating.
    [​IMG]
    -The final touch was to trim off the extra and add the finger groove to the front.
    [​IMG]
    -I cut up a paint stirring stick to make a spacer for heating up the next set of fins.
    [​IMG]
    -The second set of fins were an even bigger pain in the butt to shape. I could hardly touch the strips with gloves on. Thanks to the weather, I only had about 10 seconds to get it in place after heating. That sucked. I will make cover plates to do the rest of the mouse.:miffed:

I started another log recently. here (Shamless plug for feedback.:))

-Thanks to DangerDen, once again!:D
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 2 Feb 2008
  14. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Very nice, as always.

Now finish it :D

15. widmod

widmod Minimodder

nice bracket and stuff on the mouse
    i like this attention to the details :jawdrop:
    of course I'm still watching this

16. Teyber

Teyber ******

nice! But that mouse can't be comfortable loL!

keep it up!

17. Cheapskate

Thanks guys!
    @Teyber. I hold my mouse wierd -between my thumb and middle finger. I keep my control settings at maximum sensitivity, so it only travels an inch to move the pointer from one side of the screen to the other.:D I hardly touch the mouse at all.
    P.S.- did the chick in your avatar lose her car keys or something?

18. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I do the same but it's because the ring finger and little finger got broken when my race car bit me. Depressed knuckles that took almost 10 years to get to bend at all. I still have a hard time using other people's mouses when I have to help someone.
    John

19. tribaloverkill

tribaloverkill Who needs sleep,... bah.

So cool! Damn thats cool.

20. Qhs

Qhs µ modder

Interesting concept for the mouse. Are you going to make a companion keyboard?