1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Temporary name: Bloo Balls --6-29-'11 Bloo 2.0 refit COMPLETED page 47

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cheapskate, 3 Jun 2007.

1. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I must say that this turned out Awesomely. I followed this mod before I signed up for the forums and I have to say I am pleased to see it finished and looking amazing.

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Thanks everyone.:D
    @The boy 4rm oz - Now I can document the decline into dusty and crusty. (speaking of which, I should have cleaned up the main block before putting the final loop together. The little dark spot has grown.:worried: I can probably thank the goo I couldn't clean out of the pipes.)
    @ B[x] -Houston. It's Texas- Even if you moved to the same town, we could be 100 miles from each other.:hehe: You could join the Austin Modders group.
    @ Modsquad - Thanks, I'm looking forward to a finale from you someday, too.

3. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

It took a looong time to finish, but indeed is a true acryl masterpiece!

REALLY inspiring!

[​IMG]

cheers on that!

4. Cheapskate

Thanks, Yemerich.:D

5. Cheapskate

OK. There was one little thing I did last week that ended up being nothing. I wanted to upgrade the video card. I found a 512 AGP for $60, then an open box special for $44...and it had a $15 rebate.:D You know my name. I couldn't resist, and took the open box gamble. The reviews said the card got HOT, so I decided to make a waterblock for it BEFORE it showed up. -Thats right, double the stakes.:nono:
    [​IMG]
    -First, I can say you can cut 3/4" cast plexi with a scroll saw, if you keep the blade oiled up.
    [​IMG]
    -That wasn't nearly thick enough for my tastes, so I added a 1/4" laver of UVred.
    [​IMG]
    -Of course, I screwed up and snapped a screw off in the block. I fixed this by drilling the holes all the way through. I drilled the screw out from the other side. You would think I would learn my lesson...
    [​IMG]
    -Several people have asked me how I mill. I use the drill press mortising technique for deep channel cuts. It's a drill press, so drilling rows of holes is easeir on it. First, I drill a row of holes, like the row that runs in-line with the inlet holes. Then I drill out the rest by moving in small increments and cutting a hole. Then I finish off the bottom by keeping the bit down, and moving it along the channel. (If this doesn't make any sense it's beacuse I'm really sleepy and I'm updating ALL my logs.)
    [​IMG]
    -Pi. I was tempted to leave it like that. I made this block so it would have lots of contact with the copper, and little restriction.
    [​IMG]
    -All milled out.
    [​IMG]
    -This is why I was gunning for this particular card, esides the cheap.) I have very little clearance on this board with the plumbing. This card fit. Too bad it wasn't compatable. I'm out $21 in shipping and restocking fees. I realized a company could make quite a bit of money on the same defective item if they charged a restock fee everytime it was returned.

So I almost did something, but I didn't...What?

Thanks again to DangerDen for there support.:D
    [​IMG]

6. Farmboy UK

Farmboy UK Hungry for knowledge

Nice milling, thats certainly a high flow block. Is the copper just staying flat?

7. The boy 4rm oz

Nice work on the block buddy.

8. Cheapskate

Thanks.
    @ Farmboy UK - Yes, I'm not going to try milling copper again anytime soon.:hehe: Especially now that I have no use for this block.

9. IanJackson

IanJackson Photographer & Modder

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Do u know wat kind of engine it is? because i was looking into making a kind of gehtto WC set for my garage that i could just fool with. Thanks!!!, Ace

10. Cheapskate

Briggs & Stratton 5 hp lawnmower engine. Any lawnmower engine would work. The hard part is getting the carbon off the head and the exaust port. I did a lot of sandblasting.

11. CobraMods

CobraMods Gettin there slowly

awesome case bud. too much talent in that mind of yours.. imagine what ya could do if you had unlimited fundage....altho better that you dont as your work logs and thought processes as they are now serve well to motivate others to think outside the box. your work is an inspiration..great job!!

12. Cheapskate

Thanks! I have done that. I imagine we all do.
    How's this: A one-piece case frame made with 1/4" layers cut with a 5-axis cnc laser cutter and then glued together. Curved surfaces, ducting, cable compartments, mobo tray, and drive bays all in one big polished part.:D

13. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

What kind of bits do you use with your cross vise, and do you use the same bits to finish the bottom of your drill-mill work?

14. Cheapskate

Chinese high speed steel 2 & 4 flute general purpose bits from use-enco.com. (-as cheap as possible.:D)
    The 2 flute bits work well, but 4 flute bits make a better surface. I don't need to worry about the bits getting hot while cutting plexi, either.
    I'd say that with my setup, it would be a good idea to go for 4+ flute bits for larger bits. The 2 flute 1/2" bits are a bit violent in a drill press.
    -So I guess the answer is... I don't change out the bit for the last pass.

15. Cheapskate

[​IMG]
    -UV lighting is not your friend! I knew that dark spot on the block would come back to haunt me. I've been watching the spot crawl towards the lights for a few months now. It managed to eat through my silicone seal finally.

16. Tale Gunner

Tale Gunner What's a Dremel?

Not sure I see the problem in you picture but it sounds as if its really bad!

17. Cheapskate

It was hard to get a pic. Near the LED in the bottom right of the waterblock there's a nasty black spot in the seal area. It's just a matter of taking the block apart and re-sealing. I didn't lose any hardware.:D
    Good to see you're back TG.

18. The boy 4rm oz

Sucks about the block. Good news that you didn't lose any hardware.

19. tribaloverkill

tribaloverkill Who needs sleep,... bah.

Your my hero man. Good work here. I might just give this a try for Blackout blocks.

20. Cheapskate

Thanks guys. I can finally get off the Wblock deathwatch too. Gotta switch to Permatex now. It's not as pretty as clear sealant.
    @Tribal - *Jedi hand gesture* You WILL make custom waterblocks... :hehe: Just make one with a proper rubber gasket.
    I can't find any new chipsets with as much surface as the P4 layout. The new chipsets would be a b*tch to work a maze into