1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Ten Years On: F.E.A.R

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 20 Nov 2015.

1. Taua

Taua Member

Fear Combat, that free online multiplayer thing, was my only experience of the game, but I utterly loved it.

2. VaLkyR-Assassin

VaLkyR-Assassin Member

I found FEAR to be incredibly dull and repetitive, and it is one of the few games out of hundreds that I couldn't be bothered completing.

3. Pete J

Pete J RIP Teelzebub

I remember playing this at Uni (along with Quake 4) during the Easter break. I had stayed behind rather than going home to the parents as I needed to get work done for the sponsored project I was on. Because there were no distractions, I got to really get into the game.
    Office ninjas! Yes, they were infuriating and made some weird sort of music when they moved.
    Yeah, HV Penetrator was memorable. From memory, I used it usually to take out the armoured soldiers, who tended to carry it.
    Couldn't agree more. A sudden 'WTF' moment. Still, on the second playthrough I did, I managed to shoot im in the head, which did nothing!
    You do have a point there. Thinking back, it was the same looking environments, the same enemies over again etc. However, I think that the game used to counter this by having lots of different 'scenarios' for you to fight out of.

4. IamJudd

IamJudd Well-Known Member

Looking forward to the next fatal frame in the Wii U...

5. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Ten years?! It was yesterday! Jesus...

6. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

I completed the original FEAR when it came. Liked it a lot. I recently tried Fear 2 on Oculus DK2. Pretty good.

7. JakeTucker

JakeTucker Member

It's interesting, because I agree with what you're saying, but apparently a large part of what made it work was how simple and cut back the AI was. Bit wordy but you might enjoy:

http://alumni.media.mit.edu/~jorkin/gdc2006_orkin_jeff_fear.pdf

It's really interesting because no one has beat that AI yet I don't think.

8. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

I can really relate to borderline heart attack events like this. Happened a few times over the years.

If you've tried any of the horror game demos on Oculus then you know there is much worse to come!

:eeek: :eeek: :eeek:

:thumb:

9. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Member

10years??? I suppose it must be, I loved this game!!

It gave me goose bumps, proper goose bumps, so tense and engaging.

I've never felt more alive playing a game than when I played FE.A.R, it's probably the best compliment I can give it.

10. beef1e

beef1e New Member

What a great game and also remember jumping out of my skin at points, I'm not a big fan of horror movies which didn't help!

If i remember correctly F.E.A.R was the only game at the time which was optimized for quad sli.

I was running a Nvidia 7950 GX2 back in the day (2 gpu's on 1 card) but always wanted the second to test out Quad sli. i just couldn't justify the extra cost for one game as quad sli was pretty much useless for everything else.

11. saaenmet

saaenmet New Member

Yes, i think so

12. thom804

thom804 Member

I find myself constantly drawn back to every game in the FEAR series. They are all timeless, and hark back to a few years ago when games didn't need an MP component to be considered whole.

These games along with Wolfenstein and Doom are genre defining in a way that even Half-Life couldn't be, bullet heaven.

13. the_good

the_good New Member

I was PRO Multiplayer in FEAR... I remember I had 1800XT ATI and a CRT monitor with Razer copperhead 2000dpi
    I pawned every body in this game

14. Arska999

Arska999 New Member

From the article:"On top of that, the horror aspect of the game has aged terribly. I didn't think F.E.A.R was especially scary at the time, although I remember a couple of sequences catching me out."

The horror aspect of the game was perfect for me. I don't want games to have spiders or aliens jump out at me out of nowhere. It was mostly anticipation and psychological horror without lame jump scenes and I loved it. I still play the game occasionally and I've completed it many times along the years. The expansions of the original game or subsequent F.E.A.R. games never felt even nearly as good to me.

Tags: Add Tags