1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Ten Years On: S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech reviews, 22 Mar 2017.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Is that mod actually finished and available? I'm as bored as crap atm and still have my STALKER dvd in the cupboard.

Ed. NVM see it is. Time to start rooting through cupboards.

Ed2. What do I need? just the complete Gear pack?

2. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

IMO, Complete mods make STALKER a bit easier.
    If you are feeling a bit masochistic, go for Oblivion Lost (there is also OL Remake, haven't tried it) for SOC or Misery for COP.

3. Vault-Tec

Well I managed to get it installed and working easily enough. Mainly easy because I have the DVD. Any way, yeah, all installed set it up for my res etc whacked graphics to max. I would say it looks OK, but for some reason it seems to be sending me out on my first mission in the absolute pitch black so I can't see where the hell I am going and ended up stepping on a mine that I am sure was not there when I first played it.

So until tonight there is little point in trying to wander around aimlessly completely unarmed I'm just a sitting target.

4. Metaporic

Metaporic Minimodder

Glad you got it running. The game still does not look the best but it looks a lot better imo. What do you mean pitch black? That is weird. Might be something with the brightness settings? If you just mean it is night, well you can use the sleeping bag that Complete adds to your inventory.

I can hardly remember Cordon. Check the roof top of the starting 'newbie' camp for some stalker armour if you have not, it really helps out and you will be a much tougher sitting duck :p Though is a little OP so early on in the game. http://stalker.wikia.com/wiki/Leather_Jacket

5. Vault-Tec

I mean it's night time yeah. I needed to stick to the road really but in daylight (like IRL daylight) I can't see where the hell I am going. Will play it later this evening.

Will check out the roof then.

6. Redsnake77

Redsnake77 Useless Idiot

My favourite ever series. Complete mods are excellent. Oblivion Lost is out standing. I have played each game at least once a year, since they came out. Also won a pack of mince pies from the mag because of SoC. Bonus.

7. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

SoC and HL2 were my two formative gaming experiences. I think SoC was the first game I ever had nightmares about. That said, I never finished it. I got through Pripyat and to the beginning of the NPP and quit for some reason.

I always wished they would have made a Stalker MMO. The Division set in Chernobyl would be awesome.

8. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

The mods are fantastic for keeping the game interesting:
    I've tooled around SOC with a 6000lb loadout.
    In COP I watched an NPC defend himself against rats chewing his feet with a rocket launcher. I've used the weapons spawner to equip everyone with RPGs.
    I've dropped gear in a courtyard as bait in COP. -fun all around.
    It's fun to load up an old save in the Bar and start popping Duty.

Before I got busy, I was trying the Call Of Chernobyl mod. It's not nearly finished, but it has all the maps in one game. -Sadly, the underground levels are empty. It also had some bugs. Red Forest has a horrible framerate, and the Monolith lab map is corrupted. The last patch bricked the game, and I never got time to reinstall.

As for the first game's forced run through Pripyat, I made sure I got to that level with an RPG. One round right in the leader of the team meetup, and you can play the map however you want. :)

If there was only a way to trash the chain of cutscenes and similar on-rails play in the end of COP.

9. Tynecider

Tynecider Since ZX81

Hands down the best Trilogy i have ever had the pleasure of playing, twice.
    Once vanilla and the other with the "Complete" series mods and a few others that made it even better.

I still look for those experiences in games I play today.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R II, sigh.......almost.

I might play them all over again, games market is kind of stale right now.

10. DrTiCool

DrTiCool Minimodder

after what was originally promised, it was good game indeed.
    Great gritty atmosphere and sometimes tough as hell.
    Did anyone noticed huge fps drops in the final stage?, yep, I finished the game twice.

11. ajfsound

ajfsound Minimodder

One of my all time favourite fps's

12. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Fired this up on steam, just for some nostalgia. It crashed twice before I got to the train yard. :lol:

Still a very engaging game - just about to pop down the drain to say hello to a Bloodsucker.

13. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Ah... The Call of Chernobyl mod upset my virus scanner. The joys of Stalker mods. :rolleyes:

Tags: Add Tags