1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics testing lcd

Discussion in 'Modding' started by JohnFish, 30 Jan 2005.

1. JohnFish

JohnFish New Member

Hi guys. I got this lcd from ebay a while ago and i tried to connect it to a pic microcontroller today but nothing. I am sure the pic works fine cause I have tried it the outputs with a multimeter. As far as the lcd is concerned I thought i would get a test screen as soon as i connect the power to the lcd but i didnt get anything. How do i know if it works fine? Thanks

2. mingingbollock

mingingbollock Active Member

some lcds do nothing until you actually send it some data.

3. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

how about giving us some information,
    like LCD model
    PIC the code in quesiton.
    and a brief description of the circuit (ie portb is connected to the LCD databus, with control bus on port A).

4. JohnFish

JohnFish New Member

sure. The lcd is one based on hd44780 controller connected to the project board according to this diagram (scroll down). The pic is a picaxe-18 (i am a newbie to pics so it was the best solution) and the only thing i get is that the backlight is on. I also tried adjusting the contrast but nothing.

5. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

on an HD44780 once the display's been turned on (in code) you should be able to get all black rectangles by adjusting the contrast.

check your init code for the display (just try turning it on, thats it no need to write a char).