1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Textbook prices

Discussion in 'General' started by C-Sniper, 8 Aug 2010.

1. sesterfield

sesterfield What's a Dremel?

I tend to hit Ebay right after the exam period of the previous year, I have doubles of some of my Engineering Maths textbooks as they were so cheap I didn't bother checking if I already had them :D

2. hyder

hyder horrible horrible horrible

I bought 4 books in total for university and they were all in first year. If stuff wasn't in the books I used the internet or the course notes. Total spend can't have topped 100 quid

3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I got given £175 by Blackwell Books, didn't need any text books for the course (.pdf's from the uni library site, physical books in the library Cheesecake), ended up buying some Cisco texts with it, and a few other network security texts, which would have covered all three years of the course had it been what it was supposed to be - I still have about £30 left on the gift card..

4. profqwerty

profqwerty What's a Dremel?

I got my engineering text books off amazon, at about £4 per book! They're all (very) old editions, but the essential info is still there...

5. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Not to sound all high and mighty, but for at least two of our six modules per year for the past 4 years, our lecturers have written or had a hand in writing the textbooks on the recommended reading list - so we get authors discount on them. For the rest, I just shopped around and found the best prices online. I think the most I ever spent on textbooks in one academic year (6 full and one half module) was just under £500. And that was a busy year.

6. Vigil

Vigil Not geek enough

Must depends on the subject. I've spent £100 on a couple of useless textbooks in first year, that I never read and from then on it's been the library and internet the whole way.

Realised early on the recommended reading isn't critical (at least for what I do). There are dozens of other books that carry the exact same info so I just find one that's good and avoid the mile long queue on the reading list.

>$1000 just isn't right.

7. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

8. profqwerty

profqwerty What's a Dremel?

MATLAAAAB the greatest hero of them all! The best way I thought is to borrow someone elses book / from library to check you *need* it first, then buy it if they get grumpy at you :D

9. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

when i went to uni i dont think i bought 1 book lol.

i went to the library and loaned them for any work that i was currently doing.

i also recieved lectureres note every lecture i had which was nice.

There are 1 or 2 books i could have probably have done with but i managed

oh and it was a BSc (hons) not a silly degree where you have 1 hour of lectures a week

10. alextwo

alextwo <a href="http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p

I think in my 5 years at uni I spent about £80 in total on books!

There was only two courses that actually required you to physically have a book. All other courses had recommended reading lists which were really just backup and further background reading on the course notes.

11. C-Sniper

Well the School Library only contains one of the textbooks I need.

This ****ing blows.

12. smoothie

smoothie What's a Dremel?

I use half.com for the textbooks I feel like buying. I usually only buy one or two per semester, depending on what I think I'll really need or read.

13. C-Sniper

That is what I use as well but this years load will still cost about 850 from them.

So far I have been going through the Half.com list and locating the books I need and finding the sellers close by (since there is a good chance they went to my Uni) to see if they say anything about not needing the book etc.

14. Burnout21

Burnout21 Is the daddy!

Tried to use library books for the first 3 years, then final year picked up copies of books i really needed to reference on a regular bases.

Total Design by Pugh for instance retails at £62, absolute anal raping but i had saved up for it.

I think total spent in 4 years was about £150 or so, mostly picked up off ebay or amazon 2nd hand, pugh being the only new book.

I was lucky, my tutors/professors weren't stuck up c*nts, one actually photocopied all his notes and had them bound for us for free. Basically a free text book of everything he was covering that year!

i do wish my course pushed me harder than it did though, most the time i winged it on my lucky common sense, where i would get caught out, with 'yeah your right, but where's the proof/reference?' err its Me!