1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films - That get you bawling like a little kid...

Discussion in 'General' started by Lorquis, 10 Jun 2010.

1. chimmy09

chimmy09 What's a Dremel?

Shawshank Redemption. When they are going over Brooks's letter it gets me every time.

Stand By Me. It doesn't really make me cry, but I can relate to it a lot, as my own group of friends is breaking apart.

2. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

If I recall, the first film that made me cry was Beaches. I was 11 years old and my eyes were waterfalls.

To the best of my knowledge, the only other film that made me cry was Marley and Me. My wife got it on NetFlix and I had no desire to see it (I thought it was a sappy fluff movie). I came in from the garage and watched the last 10 minutes. I was bawling.

Many movies have caused me to well up or get a lump in my throat. I forgot about Brave Little Toaster; it was one of my favorite movies when I was a kid.

3. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

Not an outright bawling but definitely moistened eyes and sniffling, Big fish, Edward Scissorhands, Fiddler on the Roof, anything awesome Sam did in Lord of the Rings, and when that ewok dies in Return of the Jedi and his friend tries to get him to move :(

4. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

Being a man, we dont/shouldnt usually cry at films. BUT armageddon, if one film I know EVERY man has bawwed to at one point "Take care of her, she's you're little girl now!" :waah::waah: Goddamn it :(

5. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

This.

And the way I look at it, bollocks to the 'blokes don't cry' crap. Everyone has emotions, and as Nexxo will probably testify to more than most people; keeping it all bottled up, or just generally not being emotionally stimulated by things such as that, isn't healthy or 'normal'

6. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Fine

But Armageddon ? Really ?

Huh.. I guess I have to watch it again because it seems like I missed something

7. flapjackboy

flapjackboy What's a Dremel?

Pay It Forward.

The bit at the end where Haley Joel Osment's character gets stabbed and dies and then you see all the people standing outside the house with candles with the camera cutting to a shot of countless more people arriving. I'm as manly as the next bloke, but that bit of the film gets me every time.

Last edited: 11 Jun 2010
  8. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

I think the reason why those who don't get moved by emotional moments in films is because they don't allow themselves to be. It's all a front. Too much macho crap. I done it myself when I was a kid, and then as you get older you realise it's not shameful to express emotions. The reason I normally get a lump in my throat or damp eyes when watching films is because I can normally associate and empathise with the emotion being portrayed in the film. We all go through our own grief, joy, scary times and times of being angry, and a great film is one that manages to tap into these feelings we have all experienced. There's nothing wrong with experiencing emotions, or showing it either, when watching films. Having said that though, I wouldn't be inviting the lads around to watch Bambi anytime soon, I'll keep that lump in the throat moment between me, the missus and my kids:D

9. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Taken.

That was probably the worst one for me.

10. Cabe6403

Cabe6403 Supreme Commander

every time

11. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Wut

12. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I'm going with Stonesurd here. Taken didn't make me cry although it was an emotional story. I saw it as being more about the action though.

13. stonedsurd

Stonedsurd.

Unicorn likes this.
  14. Unicorn

My apologies! I really should be in bed, it's 4am. I was gigging tonight [last night] and can't seem to drag myself to bed :/

15. stonedsurd

Apology accepted :p Gigging where?

16. Unicorn

Best of Northern Ireland night at Laverys Belfast. Crave (the members of which my friend "October" and I know) were promoting their new - third - album "The Front Line". R51 were the second supporting act and Phoenix Fire were Headlining. Small gig, great atmosphere. I just wanted to hear the tracks from the new Crave album but the other acts turned out to be great as well. Especially Phoenix Fire - Fiona has an awesome voice.

It really made me want to get my new guitar and amp soon and start practicing every day like I used to. I miss it :/

17. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

you havent seen that movie?

you definitely should.

18. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Just because some of us don't doesn't mean that your generalisation applies.

Some of us experience real life events that turn us to tears, films therefore don't elicit the same response.

It's not down to not allowing oneself to be affected it's just that different things affect different people.

Look at it in these terms, I cry at real life events and don't understand crying at films just like many who cry at films would not understand people who cry when they can't decide what to wear.

19. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

Look at it this way adidan, I remember my mum, my sister and I watching The Champ, a couple of years after my dad died, I was 12yrs old and had never cried watching a film to that date. When Billy Flynn (John Voight) died in the film, and his son T.J. was crying over his body, we were all crying, because it brought back memories of our loss. That's the point I was making. A good film, and one that moves us, is one that taps into our own personal emotions that we have experienced. There is nothing wrong with this, and it's the same with any genre of film not just the sad ones.

As an adult, I have only really cried at one film, but I am moved by many. I am not ashamed or embarrased by this, and I won't avoid films that challenge my emotions either.

Last edited: 11 Jun 2010
  20. stonedsurd

I have. It was awesome, but hardly a tear-jerker. What part made you cry?