1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Form Factor That Shuttle HeatPipe HSF Thingie

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nigel, 28 Nov 2003.

1. Nigel

Nigel What's a Dremel?

Hello!

Has anyone done away with the Shuttle heatpipe HSF and replaced it with a different HSF?

If so why and how did it compare?

Many thanks!!

2. phaSe

phaSe What's a Dremel?

i havent.

but in case you fancy it, bear in mind im pretty sure shuttle thought about the design at least a little bit :lol: especially as the 1st shuttles had a normal heatsink on and a rear fan.
    Also, you dont have much room in there! Especially with CD, Fooppy and HDD, and its likely to be noisier.

Although if you can live with that it may improve temps!

Sorry, thats just my 2p worth, rather than any actual hard facts!

RoB

3. Nigel

Nigel What's a Dremel?

Cheers phaSe, I just felt I had to ask the question :rolleyes:

I had kind of guessed it was the best solution, but seeing as so many people had cut away the rear grill, or changed the fan, I just wondered if anyone had tried a different cooling scheme altogether.

My own new Shuttle is going together fine. I decided to keep the spec "down" to check out the heat problems others have mentioned. The CPU I'm using initially is a 2ghz Celeron on a 400 bus. I realise it's not cutting-edge but as heat in these small cases is a consideration I thought I'd err on the side of safety until I know what I'm about!

The rest of the spec is 640mb of PC2100 ram, a 30gb Maxtor HD (a surprisingly thin item which should allow air to circulate) and either an ATI Rage Pro VIVO or a 7500 Radeon graphics card.

Thanks again for the input!

4. phaSe

phaSe What's a Dremel?

you're welcome!

Im glad its all going well! if you are worried about temps, cutting out the punched grill and replacing it with a wire one does seem to make a difference. I seem to remember it making a difference to the noise too. Also, noise wise, replacing the PSU fan is pretty easy (if you dont mind soldering) and can make a huuge difference! Otherwise just replacing the ICE fan is easy!

RoB

5. Walibe

Walibe What's a Dremel?

The ICE is the best cooling soloution around TBH beating just about anything else on the market. Cutting of the rear grill is a great idea and helps to cut down on turbulace too.

6. Nigel

Nigel What's a Dremel?

Thanks again chaps.

Well I finally got the Shuttle up and running this evening and the noise so far has not been too significant. I went for the passively cooled ATI Rage card, and the new Maxtor HD is *very* quiet.

As for temperatures, well with the shell off the CPU temp at idle was at 28 degrees C and the case internals at 31 !! A bit of a surprise that. So the ICE heatpipe cooler cerainly seems unassailable!

I realise with the case shell back on it'll get warmer so I'll install Motherboard Monitor and check the readings from there under load etc.
    :)

7. Wolfe

Wolfe What's a Dremel?

if you really dont like the stock cooler, a 1 u heatsink might work. Dont know for sure though

8. Bossman

Bossman What's a Dremel?

I'm suprised that on some of the AMD heatpipes theres no actual heatsink fins like on some of the PIV ones. Cos you'd think that it would at least aid cooling in some way.

Tags: