1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice The £100 Gaming PC project

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 2 Mar 2011.

1. Ferrero94

Ferrero94 New Member

But Parge, will it run Minecraft?

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Just seen your post mate,

My main aim was to get to 3Ghz - and managed to do this at stock voltage on everything, stable as a rock, so had no real need to throw any fans on that HS. Maybe if I was aiming for 3.2/3.4 we'd see some necessary volts on the NB and a fan might be useful but I'll sit pretty at 3Ghz, at least for a while :D

Anyhow, welcome to to the forums :)

Last edited: 19 Mar 2011
  3. Parge

Crycraft?

4. moody89

moody89 Member

Great thread - a great read and very interesting to see what can be done on such a small budget! Congrats on the build!

5. Parge

Cool mate, glad you enjoyed it! I'm just off to play BC2 on it on the Bit tech server, come join!

Just a little update for you all too, the CPU now runs at 3Ghz @ stock, and I've swapped in the Kingston RAM which now runs at 858Mhz with no problems. :D

6. NethLyn

NethLyn Member

The project started when I was away, now I'm back I read the rest - great achievement and if the editor's reading, it should be profiled in the mag or at least on the site as a mini-feature - even if the price tag might not fit the mag's remit :)

7. Material

Material Soco Amaretto Lime

I'll poke James and make sure he's seen it. There may be a new section in the mag that this *may* be suitable for.

It's funny actually, we had a similar idea last summer for a feature about trying to build a PC that could get 1,000 or over in our benchmarks and play games at reasonable settings for as little as possible but it never took off. I think it was because we'd be able to get bits for free too easily, so it wouldn't actually be all that useful to anyone.

8. Oggyb

Oggyb Mutant

You're mostly right.

9. Parge

Just an update from this weekend.

I've spent some time reading a number of BFBC2 tweak guides, including this one, this one and this one

I've learnt a number of things about the game, namely, it appears:

• BC2 is a big fan of Quad Cores
    • CPU speed seems to make little difference up to 3Ghz, but go over that and you'll see large improvements
    • Shadows can be reduced for huge frame rate increases with little visual compromise
    • The visual difference between medium and low is stark, and at low don't get a huge amount of increased fps
    • turning on headphones instead of 'Hifi' in the sound settings can net you a few fps
    • Its worth forcing DX9 in the config files for extra fps if your dipping
    • Textures - something I would have thought would make a big difference to FPS, don't.
    • Turning off HBAO and bloom made little difference to the visuals, and netted a few extra fps

With this in mind, I've now OC'd the CPU to 3255Mhz prime stable @ 1.25v and core temps run at 63C/61C respectively. I think I could go higher, but I'm worried about the Northbridge temps and RAM.

Nealieboyee - this board is brilliant, FSB is currently at 465, and Sleepygamer, kudos on the RAM its at 916mhz, no problems.

I'm going to push it to 3.4Ghz this afternoon.

I've also found the 4730 does not like AA, and upon applying any amount I saw a massive dip in fps. I've managed to get the vRAM up to 1000mhz too.

When I first installed BFBC2, I'll be honest, I was disappointed with the systems performance. However, with the above tweaks to the game, and the CPU and GPU OC, its brilliantly playable.

Last edited: 27 Mar 2011
  10. sleepygamer

sleepygamer More Metal Than Thou

Glad to hear that RAM is overclocking well! I never had any problems boosting the frequency at stock voltages, so I'm glad you got some OC headroom! :D

11. carpetmonster

carpetmonster New Member

I played BFBC2 with the very card in this build the 4730, and after some mild ocing, it was getting over 30fps with everything maxed, except AA, on 2 and HBAO off, at 1920x1200, except when there was lots of smoke about. That was with a 920 though at 4ghz :rock:

12. Parge

Yeah, I think BFBC2 is one game where raw CPU grunt really does make a big difference.

.... on that note, I've successfully hit 3.4Ghz with the E6300 this arvo, at 1.28v. FSB at 486mhz. However, I was getting temps around 67/68C so I've backed it down to 3.33Ghz and just testing at 1.24v to see if I can get it stable at below 65C which I'd be happier with.

Does anyone have an idea of what kind of temps would be ok for a 24/7 oc on this chip? Its a 65nm Conroe stepping.

13. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

You should be fine with 65c load. Try intel burn test and see what temps that gives you. Usually they are higher than Prime95 or Orthos. Remember that nothing is going to stress your cpu 24/7 like those benching programs (unless you start folding).

I would be happy with the temps you have.

14. carpetmonster

carpetmonster New Member

Why not take the chip out, sell it and get a cheap Q6600. Just call it the £118.45 gaming pc or something.

15. The0dore

The0dore New Member

Just read through this and have to say hats off to Parge. You've inspired me to have a go at building an ultra cheap gaming rig! Great to see such a community gathering around this project with the heaps of advice and numerous offers where the components are concerned.

16. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Parge, I'd love to feature this build in the next issue of CPC if that's possible? Great to see the community coming together. People sell their old parts, you build a great looking rig, and we add another member to the PC gaming master race. Everyone wins!

Check your PMs please :)

17. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

He left for the States today, I don't know how long for but it may be a couple of weeks at least.

18. Parge

Hi guys, the £100 PC is featured in CPC this month, under the 'Heaven and Hell' feature on the last page!

Big thank you to everyone who helped, particularly those who supplied/offered parts.

Parge :)

19. jizwizard

jizwizard Well-Known Member

well done dude

20. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Well-Known Member

Nice one! Glad to be of service!