1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice The £100 Gaming PC project

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 2 Mar 2011.

1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Ok so I should be picking up a case and PSU tonight, I'll put up some pics when I get home and you can tell me what you think!

Just got to lock down a CPU, heatsink and RAM now. I've had a few offers of 2GB, but if anyone has a 2GB stick lying about that would be even better since the mobo only has 2x RAM slots.

meandmymouth likes this.
  2. sleepygamer

sleepygamer More Metal Than Thou

I'll work out which DDR2 sticks I have working. If I have a matched pair that works, it's yours for the £15. If you want the aforementioned Soundblaster, I'm sure I could be negotiated with.

3. Parge

That sounds perfect, 775 fittings? Can I get back to you though, since I *might* have a Scythe Ninja, but still have to agree a price. Its in London (same as me) so this would save on p&p - which is important for a build like this.

However, I can't accept donations because I want this build to achievable for any man in the street, so we'd have to agree a fair price!

4. penryn 2 hertz

penryn 2 hertz I'm not a science fiction writer...

yeah i have the 775 fittings never been used tho as iv only used it on an am2 cpu its just sitting in my walldrobe gatherin dust lol...

5. Parge

Cool man, thanks heaps, I'll get back to later this evening! :D

6. Parge

Thank you very much sir! how about I pay shipping?

7. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

Well if you insist to pay the shipping, I'll give you a brandnew Black Right-angle. Shipping fee 1.11 Sterling pound leave me a PM for the shipping adress.

8. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

I have a donation. Since you are using one Sata cable, how about i give you one sleeved with MDPC-X black sleeving? It can be your friend's first sleeved thing in his PC. His first foray into the world of modding... :D Postage not necessary. I'm in a giving mood this evening.

And why the hell is your friend not on BT yet! :eyebrow:

Edit: Oops sorry Blackswordsman. I didn't see your post. Didn't mean to undercut you or anything!

9. mpe91

mpe91 Wait... Wha...?

This is a great project, I really like the idea behind it. Hope you succeed (already looking like you will) and be interesting to see how it turns out. :)

And all these people willing to give stuff away for free.... Almost enough to restore ones faith in humanity. :p

10. Nealieboyee

Thats the general plan....then i take over the world :hehe:

Parge likes this.
  11. TheBlackSwordsMan

Scenario: Nealieboyee landing in Russia, his 100 sterling pound PC & Him

Nealieboyee - It's Over, comrad of the Soviet Union ! I Claim this land

Soviet Union - It's Nealieboyee & the 100 sterling pound PC ! We surrender, we are no match for a God !

12. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I actually like the idea of this, maybe bit-tech should have a cheap as chips modding comp. I'd be up for some of that. In fact I'm going to post some thing in the suggestion box later.

Keep at it I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out...+ rep for being a tight wad modder:D

13. Nealieboyee

Something along those lines yeah! But with 5 women carrying the pc for me...

14. TheBlackSwordsMan

with this music in background.

Edit: It seems like Parge have found a e5200 on the Marketplace, Wolfdale ship, excellent one. With a cooler and some tweak it can easily handle 3.4Ghz.

Last edited: 4 Mar 2011
  15. Parge

*Update*

Case, PSU and Optical drives acquired - cost £5 (yes, for everything, no, seriously)

Beantech Igloo 4 - All steel frame (I think), brushed aluminium coating

Got it from Gumtree here - it'd been on there a month and the guy took my offer of a fiver if I collect without so much as a blink.

Gotta get rid of that disgusting beige optical drive. I know I said beggars can't be choosers but even a tramp can choose his shop doorway. Also needs a little dust, and clean, but after that I think we'll be golden.

[​IMG][/url] P1000590 by Penderyn, on Flickr[/IMG]

The Inside - 4 x quick release 5.25" bays, 2 x external 3.5" bays, 3 x internal 3.5" bays. Also, the 530w Tagen U22
    [​IMG][/url] P1000599 by Penderyn, on Flickr[/IMG]

The inside pt 2 - note the rubber HD mounts and sound dampening foam

[​IMG][/url] P1000600 by Penderyn, on Flickr[/IMG]

With the front off. 2 x 80mm fans (included) behind the removable and washable dust cover
    [​IMG][/url] P1000604 by Penderyn, on Flickr[/IMG]

PSU leads - nicely covered cords. There was also another PCI-E power cable tucked away behind the optical drives that I missed so all good to go for the 4730. Tiny bit of dust on the PSU fans but nothing a quick clean won't cure.
    [​IMG][/url] P1000598 by Penderyn, on Flickr[/IMG]

This suprised me.... rubber sound dampening on the side panels.
    [​IMG][/url] P1000593 by Penderyn, on Flickr[/IMG]

Came with the three front bay covers that had been removed, nice black brushed steel effect. Also came with 2 huge bags of screws and a load of other bits and bobs that I haven't had time to sort through.
    [​IMG][/url] P1000596 by Penderyn, on Flickr[/IMG]

The rear view - missing a few blanking plates, but two of those will be filled up with the GPU. Note the slight dust buildup on the PSU.
    [​IMG][/url] P1000592 by Penderyn, on Flickr[/IMG]

The new HD - Western Digital 250GB 200rpm IDE drive from a friend at work - £5
    [​IMG][/url] P1000601 by Penderyn, on Flickr[/IMG]

Oh, whats this?
    [​IMG][/url] P1000602 by Penderyn, on Flickr[/IMG]

Oh a lovely Gigabyte G31 MATX Mobo. It goes without saying that this is one of the most well packed items I've ever bought second hand - he even included a home made driver CD. Nealieboyee + rep!
    [​IMG][/url] P1000603 by Penderyn, on Flickr[/IMG]

I'm actually away on holiday until next Saturday, so I'll let everything roll in next week, and get the case cleaned up and sort out the rest of the parts upon my return. I might have access to a computer in the evenings, but no guarantees. In the meantime, I'm still after a CPU/Cooler and a 2GB and a 1GB (Total 3GB DDR2 RAM sticks) so shoot me a PM if you've got anything.

In the meantime, enjoy the thread :thumb:

Last edited: 4 Mar 2011
  16. Parge

Might be out of my budget. I'd still take a E2180 if anyone has one!

17. mpe91

mpe91 Wait... Wha...?

You got a brilliant deal on that case. :eek: The look of the case from the front looks a lot like the new Corsair 650D to me.

18. carpetmonster

carpetmonster What's a Dremel?

I have a Pentium D 3.4 GHZ, 800fsb, Elvis Presler Core. OC's to 4ghz real easy, 65nm. £10 !

19. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

I think RAM could be the stumbling block as DDR2 has such a high price still.

20. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

You've done well with that case and PSU for a fiver. I thought the PSU would be the hardest bit to sort. Cheap and quality are usually mutually exclusive.