1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics The 1080TI GPU Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rainbowbridge, 1 Mar 2017.

1. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

No inflation adjustment, prices are US launch prices (would need to do a few hours of digging to make a UK launch price graph).
    Sure, but did you buy them at launch, at launch prices?
    980ti is there on the far right.

A lot of "in my day, GPUs were cheaper!" is a combination of rose-tinted spectacles, and that "in my day" we were younger, our funds were more limited, so the 'halo' OMGWTFBBQ-edition cards of yesteryear were barely even a consideration.

2. killingit

killingit What's a Dremel?

The 1080 Ti is a beast of a card indeed! Efficiency due to the new Pascal architecture and its CUDA cores. Damn, if only I have the money.xD

3. rollo

rollo Modder

We had as high as 1.9 to 1 currency conversion a few years back. Now it's near 1-1 with VAT.

As a reference to the 680 launch price I paid £380 for each 680 on day1 launch.

4. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Would be more relevant in a UK discussion.

Yes with the 9800, no with the Ti 4600.

I missed the Ti in black font ^^

There's also a lot of "GPUs haven't got more expensive, its just the exchange rate" without substantiation with a robust analysis across a range of PC components. Aside from Anfield's reasonable comparison with an extreme edition Intel chip from 2007, and other anecdotal reports of prices paid.

Again, I am not saying it is untrue, just that what is being said is inconclusive to make a firm judgement. From my perspective, prices appear to have gone up in Nvidia GPUs, while other components have failed to increase by the same percentage. I cannot back this up without looking into it further, either.

5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I think it is the mainstream GPUs that have gotten more expensive, not the high end ones. High end ones were always silly money (8800 U any one?) but for the most part there was always an enthusiast part that could perform almost the same for a whole load less.

This has made it far less exciting. Even OCUK's forums have gone quite quiet in the GPU section. It used to be full of arguments, now it's just "I have a 1080". I was surprised to see the willy wavers not go for the Titan XP. But then I suppose even willy wavers have a limit.

Not overly excited about the TI. It's a better card at a better price but the price still isn't right for me. I can't spend £700 on a GPU. I can go on a holiday for that or do something else nice.

So it's headphones/amps again for me this month. Did think about Ryzen but at the end of the day it's a lot of money and bother for two more cores than my 5820k. And I would run the risk of borking my Alienware's command board by fitting a non AW DMI board.

6. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Would you guys wait for OCed, 3rd party cooler versions or buy reference?
    I'm happy to see it's not over £700, which peeps speculated on other forums.
    UK price likely to be around £650 I think. Time to sell my 980Ti.
    I never had reference card, I guess that cooler is good enough for it. However I would prefer factory OCed version, never liked to OC GPU myself.
    For example Palit Super Jetstream had always around 15-20% higher fps than reference card.
    Don't know how other manufacturers OCed cards were, but 15% could be as much as 10fps extra in some cases - when you're after 60fps, this is pretty good gain.
    I guess it is time to wait and see what they going to come up with.

Another thing - is that EVGA 90 days swap still available? Did you guys use that service in the past? Is it worth it?

7. Vault-Tec

The custom cards will cost more. Up to £800 and possibly beyond on Strix and so on. This card really needs water to shine.

It's a huge upgrade from a 980ti though, which is nice for you :) If I had a 1080 though? I would be a lot more reluctant. The Titan XP was only around 15% faster without water. Give it water? that rose to 25-30%.

And I'm not sure an air cooler will allow the 1080ti to stretch its legs fully, no matter how good.

8. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I would get a hybrid w/c card as these will have the best temps and attain consistently high boost clocks. These versions will be more expensive, and we don't know what the prices will be like. OCUK added a mark up on the 1080 prices on release, and it was limited availability for some time.

I have used the EVGA step up program on two occasions, and it made sound financial sense because the cards I swapped had lost value in the secondhand market. It depends on the situation. The difficulty can be that you are without a GPU while they are swapped, as EVGA requires you to send your GPU to them first. You also need to have registered your card within 30 days of purchase (and in some cases have bought an extended warranty), to be eligible.

If I were getting an EVGA 1080ti I would not bother with the extended warranty and step up program, as it is unlikely we will see Volta within 90 days of the 1080ti being available.

9. Vault-Tec

Well hopefully Nvidia will put their mouthes where their money is and offer them on their site at that price.

10. rollo

rollo Modder

Founders edition? Was already confirmed just not in £

11. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

Is there still no way to edit or modifiy bios'e on 180 cards?

12. rollo

rollo Modder

Founders edition confirmed in £699 no shock at all, with the way our economy is. Ryzen was 1-1 so no shock that the 1080ti is that also.

By the time Vega launches Volta will be at most 7-8 months away if early 2018 is accurate launch window. AMD has actually some how managed to go from only 7 months behind to nearly 12 based on most rough estimates.

13. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Are you saying it would be worth waiting with 1080Ti purchase another 8 months to get Volta "GTX1180" which should be similar power wise to 1080Ti?

14. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

I think he meant Volta arriving 708 months after Vega rather than 7-8 months from now.

I don't think Vega is going to see such a dramatic delay, and Volta (unless another reshuffle occurs and 'Volta' ends up as a less extensive Pascal evolution) would likely arrive around the same time as Navi at some point in 2018. With the performance delta going from GCN 3rd gen to 4th gen (e.g. R9 380X to RX 470) being around 10-30% depending on use case, a similar delta from Fury to Vega seems reasonable rather than the more dramatic boost needed to reach parity with the 1080ti (and possibly falling short of the 1080, unless AMD scrape their margins thing for the top end Vega to match price).

15. rollo

rollo Modder

Vega will not launch before early June, I would imagine Volta is set for Jan to March next year

16. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

17. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Assuming the "8AM PST" release time holds internationally, time to spam F5 is 1600.

18. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Are you going for one?:)

19. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Are pre-orders today just via Nvidia's shop or retail partners as well?

20. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I've pre-ordered, showed up and came though as £619 weirdly. Showing as £699 on the site now so don't know if they'll honour it.

Edit: Forget that, t'was a mistake.

Last edited: 2 Mar 2017