1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware The 3D podcast with Nvidia

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 29 May 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

I was expecting a literal 3D podcast.

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's in stereo isn't it?

4. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

Still think it's a gimmick...unless that is, you've got a 50" 120Hz TV , as mentioned in the cast.- bigger is definitely better for 3D.

A major negative with the Nvidia set up, is how you have to turn the brightness right up just to counter the dramatic dimming effect. Then you've got the fps sapping nature of it , giving choppy play at your usual smooth for 2d, 1080p- unless you're running sli.

It's pretty enough but considering these major negatives. For people planning on 23" 3D at least, I don't think the trade off is worth it. Not when a good IPS monitor can be had for the same price

5. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

What Ive noticed with 3D is it works really well for bright coloured scenes. Alice in wonderland and Resident evil where both horrible for 3D due to the level of darkness. Cloudy with a chance of meatballs works fairly well tho. Overall tho I'm still on the fence. 3D is still to expensive and quality 3D monitors are non exsistant. Another problem with that my mate suffers from is blindness in one eye. Anything 3D is pointless for him.

6. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

I like how the Nvidia rep pronounces it "Free D". E Free, Playstation free ;P

The one game that really impressed me in Free D was GTA4, and that was with using the crappy cardboard glasses. Up until then I though, meh, which went too a WOW!

7. Ola.l

Ola.l What's a Dremel?

I liked the podcast a lot. As usual :)!
    Though you should try to get the soundlevels more even, sometimes noices occured which made my ears cry blood in angst.

8. javaman

TBH they're getting better with this.

from gaming 17. Great post describing what it use to be like. It has greatly improved since then.

9. Ola.l

Ola.l What's a Dremel?

That is really true, vast improvement since the beginning :)

10. urobulos

urobulos Minimodder

Thanks for the podcast, but please can we have a pause from the 3d coverage for a while... I guess this is just me moaning, but I'd really like to hear about something else. We had almost a week of 3d centred articles on the site and I think that's enough for now.

Especially since I consider 3d to be a useless gimmick, but that's just imho.

11. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

Ahem: http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2011/05/23/bit-tech-3d-week-begins/1

12. Material

Material Soco Amaretto Lime

Heh, only just seen this. Cheers for noticing. I've been working hard at making it more consistent while also making sure it doesn't take us hours to edit (which was one of the main reasons we never used to do them regularly). It's a process of incremental improvements.

The reason why it sometimes sound like we're winging the mics around is because occasionally people (Harry) lean back from the mic but keep on talking. I try to give em a slap to stop them doing it but occasionally we forget.

javaman likes this.
  13. javaman

Haha a good beating always helps! Just don't go to far in the other direction and sound like your chewing on the mic!!

Tags: Add Tags