1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding The 3D Printing Thread

Discussion in 'Modding' started by SkiDave, 6 Jun 2015.

1. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

Im more a FDM man :) but thought i'd try some resin printing too :p

First couple test prints cam out pretty good , need to practice supports!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

Like i said im way more a FDM man :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kim, MadGinga and VictorianBloke like this.
  3. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

Just added a new member to the family :) The mighty CR10 MAX @470 x 470 this thing is a behemoth and makes my CR10's look like mini printers :p im thinking a atx case in 1 single print :D

[​IMG]

4. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

It's not case modding but just as rewarding :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MadGinga and Byron C like this.
  5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Those are some damned impressive prints. Have you had to do much in the way of calibrating or adjusting the printer, or are those "out of the box" results?

6. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

Cheers ty :)

Always adjusting calibrating modding and upgrading :) running 11+ printers now and with them all mostly running 24/7 there's always some thing that needs doing to one of them.

But a good cr10s pro v2 should be able to pull those off out of the box. The bulk of the smaller farm work prints are done on BiQu B1 printers. These have been great precision printers also.

Byron C likes this.
  7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I expected that large format printer to be a lot more than £450 if I'm honest...

8. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

i mean the only real difference between a small printer and a large one, is the size of the Bed, otherwise its a software tweak to ell the machine its now X instead and a couple of longer aluminium extrusions and guide rails

9. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

Spending a lot of time Modding printers :) im getting a real kick out of it and really looking forward to sinking my teeth into a large core xy custom build !

anyways here's a few ive done in the past months. These are all ender 3 v2 machines.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheapskate, Yaka and Goatee like this.
  10. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

man that is alot of 3d printers, i am jealous.

ive recently taken delivery of first 3d printer yet to unbox it but where would be the best for it? as our kids are prime users for it and both me and mrs are worried about any fumes i was planning on putting it in the cellar and either buy or build an enclosure for it is that a good idea?

Defyant Mods likes this.
  11. lilgoth89

depends on the printer tbh

12. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

Yer i thought the same thing too when i first got into it ...but i really didnt notice any fumes at all... not from PLA anyways. I suppose if i get right up under the hot end while its printing and get a snot shot i might notice it... The wifey and i run printers on our desktops right beside us and never had a prob with smell and the wife is super sensitive to that stuff. I run 9 in a small room and nps there. The 5 out in the work shop are never a problem as its an old rickety garage and plenty of vent there.

But....! throw one resin printer in the mix and that's a totally different story.... ive banished the resin printers to the workshop :)

13. GeordieStew

GeordieStew Minimodder

Morning

A young pal is wanting to start doing some 3d printing. I have zero experience.

He's looking at getting a Creality Ender 3 V2. Is this ok for a beginner?

Are there any upgrades or anything that may be required? Anything to make the process easier/smoother? What kind of PLA is recommended?

Thanks so much!

14. lilgoth89

the Ender 3 is the de-facto beginners Printer, especially if he likes tinkering with it as there are literally hundreds maybe even thousands of upgrades you can buy or print for it

for a beginner i would recommend installing a form of auto bed levelling ( something like a BL touch ) its not 100% a requirement but a HUGE number of printing problems can be solved with good levelling

GeordieStew likes this.
  15. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

Installing a ( something like a BL touch ) isn't some thing i advise to brand new beginners. This in it self can be more of a challenge than just learning to manual bed level.

Most Enders (ive had about 20 now) usually level just fine out of the box.

I'm not sure about "thousands of upgrades" but there's 3 i would advise once your pal has learnt how to use his printer.

1) @ some stage your extruder will break so an all metal version is the way to go.

2) Capricorn tubing. This is a contentious one with me..... but the benefits out way the disadvantages.

3) Stiffer bed springs.

eSun is usually pretty good and prints well for the most part and is usually well priced from some one like amazon

GeordieStew likes this.
  16. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

So i have a Ultimaker S5 Pro at the office. Great print at 0.3mm, but as 0.06mm I get loads of strands hanging off. I've reduced the teperature and the movement speed a bit, but any other ideas? This is with support material.

17. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

I love posts that start with "So"

try retraction

18. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Late to the thread, but I know more about this than anyone should ever need to 'cos I just finished writing about that very problem for Wevolver. Like the bum above says, you need to fiddle with the retraction distance and speed (and potentially enable retraction in the first place, if it's not already set.)

You can use the calibration generator to make a test print that'll tell you exactly what settings work best for your printer and filament.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  19. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I found the 'engineering' configuration works really well, to the level that screw threads are useable! Thanks though!

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  20. lilgoth89

while this is about the ender 3, i found it dramatically helped stringing on both my Ender 3 and my much older Wanhao I3, also 0.06 is a fair step away from 0.3, maybe try to go to .15, dial the settings in, then go smaller on the layer height, it might be easier to gradually dial the settings rather than going for such a big jump