1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

-The 500w Shuttle- (update 10-21)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by DickH, 16 Jul 2005.

1. DickH

DickH What's a Dremel?

Ok, here is my project log for my shutte xpc.

I started with this little machine, its a shuttle sn95g5.
    [​IMG]

The idea is to mod this shuttle into something that looks like no other sff machine on the net. Mods include sticking an atx power supply inside the shuttle, making a new case, and whatever else comes to mind. As you can see, I don't really have a finished product in my head as of now. The plan is to keep modding until it looks perfect.

I have actually worked on this quite a bit before now, here is what I got.

Internal atx psu
    Many people remove the stock shuttle power supply, and use an atx power supply on the outside, but nobody has rigged an atx psu to fit 100% internally.(that I know of) I have managed to get one to fit.
    I bought a 500w psu, measured and took off something like 2cm from the top. The result looked something like this (but not grainy and blurry)
    [​IMG]
    and with it inside the shuttle.
    [​IMG]

To get the psu to fit internally, I had to modify the stock cooling a bit. This was easily done by just rotating the stock ICE unit, I also had to cut 3 fins off of the chipset heatsink.
    [​IMG]

Now that the ICE unit is rotated, I have room to stick a 120mm fan on it (stock fan was 9cm) I tried making a custom 120-90mm duct to channel all the air to the ICE radiator, but the temps werent as low, so I scrapped that. What gave me the lowest temps was simply just letting a 120mm fan just hang infront of the ICE radiator. I had 2 options, hang it real low to provide airflow for the motherboard, or have it sit higher and have a second fan blow straight down. Both options gave the same temps, so I just did this. (final version will have screws hold the fan)
    [​IMG]

With the power and cooling issues out of the way, I was able to get to what is important. Actual case modding started some time ago, but I have worked on it slowly. Here is what I have so far.

Side windows will be on both sides. These wont just be windows, I plan on actually spacing plexi from the sides, so that the windows let air in.
    [​IMG]

The faceplate will have two parts, a flat piece and a curved piece. The flat piece will be mounted to the case, and will just hold a blue light up button. The curved piece will be mounted to the sides and will come off as a seperate piece. Behind the arc on the bottom of the curved piece lays the front ports, tucked back at an angle to lay somewhat hidden.
    [​IMG]

The ports can't be seen normally, you have to duck down and look in. This is what you would see.
    [​IMG]

And of course its not a sff mod without a handle. The handle is made out of aluminum, just like the rest of the case. It joins the case underneath the top, where it is JB welded into place. Despite first impressions, the handle is quite strong and holds weight just fine.
    [​IMG]

As you can see, the handle holds weight better then the case. On the upper left corner, you can see where the case is starting to tear appart. I guess thats what I get for using 1mm alu. The handle is now just for decoration.
    [​IMG]

And that is what I have so far. I would like to water cool it, it might be a suprise, but I have room to watercool (if I can get something to fit between the cpu and psu) I will end up painting this a glossy white, fanatik has suggested adding blue pinstripes, so odds are I will add pinstripes along the edges to add a little more detail.

Thats all for now.

Last edited: 22 Oct 2005
  2. TMM

TMM Modder

lol ghetto psu! :p

i like the exterior styling though :)

3. DickH

DickH What's a Dremel?

Yeah, the psu is kind of wedged in place right now. I still have to install the custom mounting bracket made from angled alu, that way the psu will stay in place properly. As you can see, I have some cables to shorten too, I have a big blob of cables that droop on the right side.

4. kaotic504

kaotic504 What's a Dremel?

that's just wild! i love Shuttle Mods! but why do you need a 500w psu in a shuttle? great metal work!

5. DickH

DickH What's a Dremel?

Its not that I need 500w, its that I just wanted to get rid of the stock unit. When I was trying to make it silent, I got it so that the psu was the loudest thing, and I couldnt do much about that. My first choice was to get a 200w dc-dc psu, but I couldnt get a stong enough ac adapter, so I went with an ATX psu. I am kind of running it fanless as you can see, the heatsinks dont really get all that hot so it should be ok.

6. Sva4g3&*

Sva4g3&* What's a Dremel?

Would you care to tell me how it doesn't melt with the specs you're using? Overclocking, 6800gt, 500w psu. I'm rather confused, but it looks great, do you have a cd drive? or just use external?

-Rob

*330thpost*

Last edited: 16 Jul 2005
  7. DickH

DickH What's a Dremel?

Well, I don't see why it would melt. My temps idle ~30ish and cpu load temps never go past the low 40's. If you take a look, I designed this with cooling in mind. behind the curved part of the faceplate is a pretty large gap, along with the almost non-existant sides (I still think I cut the holes too big) allows for plenty of airflow. The 120mm fan pulls fresh air right into the cpu cooler, so my processor is getting cooled with fresh, room temp air. I hang the fan low enough so that it keeps the motherboard cool (lowering the fan ~2cm made a huge difference). after the air passes through the ICE cooling unit, it goes straight to the psu where it goes in or above (and under, the ram gets plenty of air). Whatever goes above cools the hard drive, and ends up going into the psu and/or straight out the back where I have a 90mm fan running at a low rpm. The fan on the back is probably not needed, but its quiet and is a pain to take off so it stays. I have watched the temps, everything runs just as cool with the case on as it would without a case, I consider that a good thing.

8. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

500watt's in a SHUTTLE :jawdrop: overkill dude :D

9. DickH

DickH What's a Dremel?

I would have been fine with a 300w psu, this one was just perfect for my needs so I bought it.

10. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

That looks sweet ;)
    Nice work on cramming it all in

11. Phaeton

Phaeton What's a Dremel?

When I saw the pics inside, I didn't have great expectations for the fascia, but it looks great. Good job.

12. endscape

endscape Minimodder

Just out of curiousity, what type of PSU did you stick in there? If you said it already I must have missed it.

Cheers!

E

13. PA!N

PA!N What's a Dremel?

Interresting work so far!I like the design, you should rebuild it with thicker
    aluminuim so that u can carry the case with that handle...
    Oh and give it nice chrome finish, that would look quite tight...

14. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

It woulda been easier to mod the existing PSU with a quieter fan than shoehorm a full atx beastie inside! But thats no fun ;)

Loving the new front though!

15. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Looking stylish!
    L

16. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

i'll also say that

17. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

new case stlyeeee looks good...
    but i must say i love the look of those shuttles i hope you kept the old pannels intact :D

so whats the 500w psu for? powering your fridge? or your room?

the case you made almost looks professional... all you need to do is give it a little better finish but im sure you will :D

18. DickH

DickH What's a Dremel?

-Minor Update-

I have been playing with ideas for the sides and I found something I liked. The idea is to have mesh bubble out from the sides. I couldnt find a way to make it stay that way on its own, so it will need the assistance of a piece of metal.
    [​IMG]

This is how I would like to paint it, sorry for the moderately poor photo editing.
    [​IMG]

19. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

painting it? nooooooooooooo.

Just polish the alu up and have a nice shiny case :)

20. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

painting white will be a shame to the case. polish it up like atomic says so it looks like lian li cases