1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

-The 500w Shuttle- (update 10-21)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by DickH, 16 Jul 2005.

1. mediacoretex

mediacoretex What's a Dremel?

aggred

2. DickH

DickH What's a Dremel?

I would love to keep the alu look, and polish it and all that stuff, but I have to fill in a few places with bondo and if I leave it bare like that it wont look as pretty.

3. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

OMFG that's brutal :D Nice job with sidepanels!

4. pc-modd.dk

pc-modd.dk What's a Dremel?

metalic blue, i think would be nice with white mesh on the sides.- :)

5. DickH

DickH What's a Dremel?

Worked on this a little bit, I would like to watercool, but I really don't have a lot of room, so I went and made room.

First thing I did was I upgraded my external 90mm fan for a 120mm fan.
    [​IMG]

Then I made some major changes

It looks like it wont fit...
    [​IMG]

I knew it would, and with some work it did.
    [​IMG]

... and you almost cant tell it is there.
    [​IMG]

I didn't like the mesh, so I made a different case. Not everything was short enough for me to keep it 4cm, too bad you cant just cut off the top of a capacitor.
    [​IMG]

With the PSU where I wanted my hard drive, I needed to come up with a new place for it. I recycled a drive cage from an old computer and came up with this.
    [​IMG]

6. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

wow, is there any original shuttle left in there?

7. kaotic504

kaotic504 What's a Dremel?

hehe, the motherboard, and probably that's it.

great work there DickH. its amazing how you managed to shrink that powersupply, basically, in half. will it be able to stay cool?

8. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

pretty mad

it looks really good tbh, cant wait to see it progressing :D

9. DickH

DickH What's a Dremel?

I worked on this a little today, came up with a way to fix the top on. I Attached angled alu to the bottom of the case, spaced it ~1-1.5mm from the chassisand drilled and threaded 4 holes through the angled alu, cover and chassis. Its all held together by 4 thumbscrews. I thought the thumbscrews would ruin the look, but it turned out alright. I did screw up, I used some metal to keep the angled alu spaced the correct distance. One piece fell out and now its a pain to get the back left corner in.

Oh, and I fixed the dammage caused by too much weight when you carry it by the handle. I tested, and know its good for ~20lbs (~9kg), so far it hasnt had any problems with everything inside.

And of course a pic of the work so far
    [​IMG]

10. theCrusifix

theCrusifix What's a Dremel?

i really enjoy looking at what you have made....i started thinking that you should make me one :p..lol the lines flow nicely and has an artistic look to it...i'm not much into artistic but thats what i'm calling it...great job man.

11. Stuntman

Stuntman Minimodder

Dude, that looks awesome! :D This thing is gona be awesome!

12. Sva4g3&*

Sva4g3&* What's a Dremel?

This is e-mazing. You really need to make a log on just shrinking the PSU like that. Manufacterers would make bank if they mass produced those. I like.

-Rob

13. DickH

DickH What's a Dremel?

Oh,the psu, I changed my mind again. I didnt like it being on the top, it didnt get enough airflow. I made a new case that is practically the same size that will sit where I had the power supply in the first attempt. Its amazing how much room I can save.

TheCrusifix, I could probably make you one, or at least the case (if you havea shuttle), it wasnt hard to make in the first place.

14. theCrusifix

theCrusifix What's a Dremel?

dont have a shuttle, but seriously considering it by looking at yours, i like the pollished look besides the painted look. just looks great.... might consider purchasing one sometime!!!

15. DickH

DickH What's a Dremel?

Stuck everything in, hooked it all up lights and all, it looks sweet. Actually normally, the cold cathode is so bright it drowns out the blue ring on the button, I need a way to dim the light.
    [​IMG]

Bad news...
    The 500w power supply is acting up and may need to be replaced, so for now I am just using the stock 240w psu.

16. DickH

DickH What's a Dremel?

OK, fixed my psu issues (thanks zap and mr. red). The psu fits, just fine, I changed my mind and now it sits down low again, but now with a reduced footprint. I haven't made a top cover for it yet, so it its almost a scarry view.

[​IMG]

The plug screws into the fan for now, it works.
    [​IMG]

I turned it all on, and it sure was nice to see it all work. I might start painting sometime within the next few days.

17. bootupbuddha

bootupbuddha grunge modder

I like the shiny........ I like rusty tooo. :naughty:

edit: not all my posts make sense. This seems to be one of them.

18. DickH

DickH What's a Dremel?

OK, time to watercool. I dont have everything yet, but I tried test fitting what I had and I have plenty of room.

Part list
    Black Ice Xtreme radiator
    Swiftech MCP350 pump
    3/8"tygon tubing
    custom made cpu and gpu blocks

Had to make some room for the rad and pump, a simple cut, no need to remove hardware. This cut was needed for the radiator and pump to fit the way I want.
    [​IMG]

Im really limited on where I can fit the pump, I found a good hiding spot. Sometime after this picture was taken, I found out its better to move the pump all the way over, this will require me to make a special bracket.
    [​IMG]

When in place it clears the psu, and the hard drive isnt even mounted correctly (notice it sits at an angle)
    [​IMG]

Here is a pic of it all in. Like I said above, the pump needs scooting over, I kept it where it was because I havent made the mounting bracket yet. Flow goes from the pump straight to the rad and out to the cpu block. The block will have an angled barb to take the tubing from the rad, and on the other side it will have a barb that aims straight up. Tubing will arc over the sound card an video card to the gpu block, and back out where it will turn and connect with the pump.
    [​IMG]

I may need a 90degree adapter to go over the video card if the tubing doesnt cooperate. Im not sure where I want the fillport to connect, Im thinking about sticking it between the rad and cpu block.
    [​IMG]

These are the the basic concept to the blocks I will make

CPU
    [​IMG]
    GPU
    [​IMG]

19. DickH

DickH What's a Dremel?

Got my material today, some copper and some stainless steel.
    [​IMG]

20. koola

koola Minimodder

Hope you have better luck at watercooling the shuttle than I did mate as temps were crap!