1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding The 55 Tram to Rapture - Update 4 OCT Scaling

Discussion in 'Modding' started by jhanlon303, 27 Mar 2008.

1. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I stumbled upon this case from a lady overclocker! Best Buy SKU #8428604. Retails for $119.99 USD. Thats what? Less than 60 pounds UK. Euros leave me blank, sorry. Why am I excited about this case? Follow along:

Big Red Box#1:
    [​IMG]

Big Red Box#2:
    [​IMG]

I Hate Black Cases#1:
    [​IMG]

Cute Little Top Door:
    [​IMG]

Front panel connectors on the TOP? Two USB, Audio, and Firewire 400:
    [​IMG]

Rear of case. Yes, Full tower, 7 I/O slots, 120mm fan, and PSU at bottom:
    [​IMG]

Open door #1:
    [​IMG]
    A lot here to see. 6 5.25 Optical bays open to the front, 2 3.5" bays open to the front, 6 HDDs in 2 racks on the bottom. 120mm exhaust fan behind alum. panel at rear to remove heat from graphics cards.

Hdd racks:
    [​IMG]

PSU opening at bottom with nice support for rear:
    [​IMG]

HDD rack, front 120mm fan with filter and the 3.5 front cage:
    [​IMG]

6 - 5.25 Optical bays in pairs of two with removable supports for the drives in case one finds something bigger than 2 bays - LCD or PSI screen, etc:
    [​IMG]

Previously mentioned 120mm fan inside shroud to pass heat from graphics cards out the back:
    [​IMG]

Top 120mm fan:
    [​IMG]

Motherboard mount with enough options to suit mATX, ATX, whatever:
    [​IMG]

Keys for the door and a box of kit for the inside:
    [​IMG]

Inside the box are the PSU, optical, motherboard stand-offs with a nut driver, and a flat plate with stand offs for something I never heard of - Intel Nocono:
    [​IMG]

So why am I excited about this case? A couple reasons - depending on where you are and which Best Buy store you go to this case is $47 to $71.99 each which I paid for 2 them. So Best Buy, so what?
    This what:
    [​IMG]

It's made by Lian-Li, in case you hadn't figured that out from the pics. I made myself a promise that before I went on oxygen, and before I had to go to a walker and a wheelchair which will be soon, I would build a Lian-Li. Now I have two. One for a commission (lady over-clocker) and one "For My Lady", Marilyn. Remember the Moody Blues song? Think of the lyrics and what could be air-brushed on a case this size.

John

Last edited: 5 Oct 2009
  2. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

Wow! She made a great find! Never know what those crazy Asian manufacturers will name things.

3. jhanlon303

I find it interesting that Best Buy chooses to use their Rocketfish label and never mention Lian-Li. Lian-Li has a strong following among computer users. The Geek Squad never picked up on this. And Lian-Li has a better reputation for quality than most Best Buy Chinese parts. Not pushing Best Buy, but Lian-Li in a big box store is NOT to pass up.
    John

4. jhanlon303

For Scale

A quick photo with a mid tower, one of my G5 cases and the Lian-Li "Rocket Fish". I keep flashing on an image of a rainbow trout strapped on an Acme rocket like Roadrunner.

[​IMG]

John

5. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

That metal plate is for dual CPU systems conforming to the CEB spec. Basically, the heat sinks are heavy enough that there is a real possibility of breaking the board so they mount to the chassis instead. Wish I had seen this a month ago before I bought the solution I'm using now.

6. jhanlon303

It's a freebie to anyone paying the postage!
    John

7. Squadexodus

Squadexodus I got my cookie. What about you?

Rocket fish... Looks like a rocket tank.

8. karolis

karolis Code Monkey

heh, great find. plain black. looks considerably well and lots of space for modding.
    As for the name if this is indeed a fish, it's gotta be the Great White or should i say.. Great Black? :D

9. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

There is a big thread about it on XS. Its like Lian Li cheapo arm. Good case too!

10. theAlien

theAlien I know what a Dremel is....

Awesome find and buy.........:thumb:
    It's a Lian Li PC-70/71 with a door..........:thumb:
    I'll be getting the PC-A70B this week from a friend for a few Euro's

can't wait to see what you do with it .......... my project will have to
    wait until I'm finished with my move to a new appartment and settle in ............

Alan

EDIT : actually it's more like a Lian Li PC-G70B

pic of a PC-G70B

Last edited: 27 Mar 2008
  11. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

Good find.

By the way, 'lbs' is strictly for weight only, for currency it's £ or just 'pounds' :D

12. jhanlon303

Fixed! How do you make the pound and euro symbols on the keyboard?

Last edited: 27 Mar 2008
  13. mr00Awesome

mr00Awesome YEAH SWEET LEMONADE

I dont think the american keyboards have them, but you might be able to find the keystrokes in the character map

14. Squadexodus

Takes about 3 minutes to do so for me. I just say pounds if i say it at all...

15. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

My Zboard is set to US which is a bit weird.

16. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I had a feeling you were going to get one of these. I found a €...I'm shocked it's in the windoze 98 font set.
    Start/programs/accessories/system tools/character map -It takes forever to dig it out.:D
    ...so, What are you planning to do with 'em? (besides the airbrushing) You have enough Mac metal around to make it really freaky.

17. jhanlon303

The OC ladie's is just a parts swap from her old case to this one with a bigger PSU. My case is to stare at until something yells at me. The lower HDD racks with the holes is dying for colored plexi. Maybe some nice alum. "hide me"s like the G5 and Mac Pro cases. Something like the 120mm fan and shroud for the graphics cards. Sides seem awful big and square without a window - but what shape to break up the rectangleness. Hush, I just invented that word. I've been under the weather for about 5 days and have had no energy to do much. Today I'm trying to learn Gimp. Seems easy to use but really hard to use WELL! I was thinking of playing the photchop game with this case. Paint is not my friend either.
    John

18. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

Just a wild guess on my part. The reason Best Buy may use the Rocketfish brand is because they market the merchandise at substantially below the usual selling price for the name-branded unit, even though it's the same thing. Lian-Li may use this arrangement so it can continue selling its normal product lines at the higher prices. No doubt Best Buy has purchasing power beyond most specialty computer outlets and smaller retailers. It could also be related to overstock in certain models in Lian-Li's warehouses.

19. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

Just got back from best buy and picked one up for a server. Only $50.87 USD after tax. First BB I went to didn't have any so I went to the next one down the road and they had 4. Pretty sweet and light. Build quality on par with my LL PC-60B. Great deal, wish I had a use for more of them

20. Squadexodus

Pity i dont have a BB within 120 miles of me...