1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other The airsoft thread!

Discussion in 'General' started by crazyg1zm0, 30 Oct 2008.

1. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

Well i got my first Rifle today, ICS clear plastic M4 ( so i can get started )

overall i really like it. has alot more power than i thought it would

my first game will be on the 14th june at stormforce

any tips other than ''dont get shot'' ??

2. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Buy decent boots and eye protection. They're more important than any other kit you'll own. And don't be afraid to get stuck in. Being hit is part of the game, going home unmarked means you're doing it wrong!

3. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Seconded about eye protection and decent boots.

If you plan on trying urban / cqb at any point, also considering investing in something to protect your teeth - over the time I've been airsofting I've seen a few teeth shot out or chipped. Pretty sure I would have lost some by now if it wasn't for my lower face mask.

For reference, this is what covers my lower face (I use a set of mesh goggles for my eyes):

http://www.airsoftgames.com/lower-mesh-guard-p-1161.html

Obviously if you get a full face mask, you won't need a separate item for your mouth - however, I'm yet to find a full face mask that doesn't knacker peripheral vision and / or get in the way when aiming, hence the two piece combo.

In an unrelated note, I recently picked up a new piece of kit - the new TM HK45 pistol. Lovely pistol to use

4. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

I use a similar lower face mask when playing in a CQB environment. Just go with goggles when playing woodland or FIBUA tho.

On the subject of goggles I would recommend full seal eye protection. I personally use a pair of ESS V12s. They're full seal and come with 3 different colour lenses (clear, yellow and tinted).

I love my TM PX4. Last time I played CQB I left my rifle in the spawn zone area in several games and just stuck with the pistol. With a tightbore barrel and 0.25 BBs it was just as effective as a rifle.

5. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

As everyone else says boots and eye protection,

but i will add a few other options and my list to the post for you

I think the one tip i have given alot of my friends after their first game, as if they like it they are talking about buy gear at this point.

Get some webbing or a plate carrier as it is useful but also don't use High-Cap mags, I got a couple of boxes of cheapish Mid-Cap mags and they are great i have 10 but usually carry 5 spare and 1 in my M4 and it works great. My biggest Gripe about High-caps are:

1. they make so much noise the 'battle rattle' is silly,
    2. they don't help you be smart with ammo

I have seen so many players just spraying a 300rd mag and not even thinking, while some times just spraying might be a good idea, I think a few shot burst is much better.

So yea things you will want.

1. Boots.
    2. Good eye wear, (i just use shooting glasses and a cover for my face)
    3. Fatigues, Go to a surplus store and get a set of trousers and one of the outer jackets (i just wear an olive green shirt under my jacket. This provides good resistance to the BB's but will still allow you to feel the hits.
    4. Gloves. I will say it seriously hurts when you get that 1 shot that clips your knuckle, I have a pair of Oakley SI gloves for this reason.

Down the line like i said theres lots here is the list of what I take to a site for the day

1.boots
    2. fatigues
    3. Gloves
    4. eye Protection
    5. hat
    6. 10 Spare mid caps, (i have about 12 total 5 i have loaded and leave with my car the rest are in my gear)
    7. Charger (i have one that can hook to my car battery)
    8. Plate Carrier
    9. Camelback
    10. all the tools i might need to service my gear
    11. Gas for Pistol Mags
    12. Spare Mags.
    13. Spare Shoes
    14. Spare clothes.
    15. BFG and spare Blanks for it.
    16. Ammo (3,500 rds 0.2g)

Finally, Don't be afraid of getting shot its going to happen at some point, I personly say to wear the Fatigues as they do make it lots easier as you do get the people that will overkill and empty a clip into you, I have done CQB sites in a t-shirt before and it was fine.

6. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

Imo, get plate carrier only if you are recreating a specific load out or want to torture yourself. Otherwise get webbing or tactical vest.
    High caps are evil (unless its for LMG) and should be destroyed ASAP.

I always thought that fatigues & gloves (and good bug repellent) are a given, I mean, between ticks, mosquitoes, leaches, nettles & other spiky flora, why would you wear anything else? At least you brits don't have to deal with TBE.

Also, get knee pads or better yet - trousers with integrated knee pads.

Still using 0.2g BB's?

On unrelated note, my current "just because" project:
    A&K mk43 gearbox, boreup cylinder, high torque motor, 13:1 gears, M130 spring, 4S LiFe battery.

Last edited: 8 Jun 2014
  7. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

I find my plate carrier quite comfortable, wouldn't wear it in the middle of summer but for the rest of the year it's great. But then again I did pay extra for a decent quality one and didn't go with a cheap airsoft one.

8. lilgoth89

Well i have got a tactical vest, gloves, and eye protection from my paintball days so i have those bases covered.

insect repellent i didn't think of...but it sounds like a good idea
    spare BB's im planning on picking up on the day

my main concern is battery power as i have only the 1 8.7 1600MAH battery with no spare

9. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

That might last a day if you're not overly trigger happy. May be worth finding out if they have charging facilities, see if you can top up the battery over lunch. If you plan to stick with airsoft it'd be well worth looking at switching to LiPo batteries and deans connectors in your aeg tho.

10. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Usually Most sites have some charging facility,

I know when i have been theres usually a couple of people with battery connectable chargers and they will let you charge a bit if needed, but If your not too trigger happy you should be fine.

11. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

PX4s are lovely bits of kit - I use mine in most loadouts, as it performs well and is relatively compact. Mine is unmodified, and I'll run it like that until something breaks. But with the hop dialed in, running .25 ammo, the performance is brilliant.

Re: Hicaps

Yes they are noisy, but so are most speedloaders - there isn't a huge amount you can do about that.

However, allow me to play devil's advocate for a second, if I may.

Hicap users have acquired a reputation over the years for being for the spray n'pray kinda airsofter. However, this is no fault of the magazine itself, for the magazine is a lump of plastic and metal.

If YOU choose to use hicaps, the YOU also choose how long you hold the trigger down. I've seen players with midcaps (i.e 170rnd P90 mags), pin the trigger and shoot the entire contents at once. I've also seen hicap users be restrained, using single shot or short burst.

I have a number of guns - most of the AEGs have at least 1 hicap and my SHTF AK47 only has hicaps - because I only tend to use it when my main gun has gone down, and I cba to reset my rig in these circumstances. I'd rather grab the gun from the car, grab the two mags and go, knowing I have nothing to worry about in the ammo department, and I won't miss any more of the game than I need to.

Re: Ammo

I'm going to recommend that .25 ammo is used - it's got a slower velocity, but usually it'll have longer range, assuming your hop is set right. Excel and Blaster Devils are both excellent brands of ammo.

Re: Clothing

I tend to run with tac-vests with the middle unzipped for some airflow and it's not gone wrong for me yet. When purchasing a tac-vest / plate carrier, consider you'll need room for gas, hydration and mags. Spare ammo and a snack for longer game days too (applies to sites like ground zero, where there are no real breaks throughout the day).

Again, boots, eyepro are the most important things. Also so the earlier comments about lower face guards.

Re: Power

A single 8.4v 1600mah battery can be quite tight depending on your gun and play style. My MP5 will eat one by lunchtime if I'm predominantly using single shot , however, my aug will run an entire day on one. It's worth purchasing a second before you go skirmishing, just to be on the safe side.

Hope this helps!

12. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I've got a Walther CP 88 I never use. Anyone know where I could sell it online? A gun shop like Potters would rip me off so they could get profit on selling it.

13. lilgoth89

well hopefully ill be going on saterday for my first game, havent managed to find transport though... so i put the question to you...

if i was to take the bus, would it be legal to have my AEG boxed ? would i have to paint the box black ? and take all my gear in a rucksack

14. lilgoth89

well i was too tired to post when i got back yesterday but i had an epic time

my battery did indeed begin to drop off in performance at the end of the morning, but the staff let me borrow a 9.6v for the afternoon and the difference was insane, so much so that im planning on getting a couple of 9.6v batteries and replacing the 8.4 one

also planning a few upgrades, mainly a hand grip as my wrist was hurting quite alot by lunch due to the strain of twisting it to hold the gun. a red dot sight so i can ditch the iron sights and lighten the gun up a little might also be a good idea. other than that a few spare mags and some camo gear and i should be all set ^_^

15. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

If you're getting new batteries you'd be better off going for 7.4v LiPo batteries. They'll give the same trigger response and RoF as a 9.6v nimh but pack more energy into same space so last longer.

16. lilgoth89

^^ yeah perhaps, but i still prefer the 9.6v batteries as i have a rapid charger for them and they dont need as much looking after as LiPo's do.

got myself an upgraded spring to help with my FPS ( i chrono'd 277 on game day and im hoping to get 330~ with the upgraded battery and spring )

17. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

LiPo batteries don't need any more looking after than a nimh one, just don't go trying to stab or chop them. They're all round better than nimh batteries and an appropriate charger can be picked up fairly cheaply. Is worth the outlay imo.

Oh, and a battery won't up your fps.

18. lilgoth89

aye it wont...but the spring will ;)

the increased voltage should put more plastic downrange and the hand grip should make it alot more comfortable to hold come gameday

might also have to chop my front iron sight in half to mount a dot sight without using a raiser kit

19. lilgoth89

well spring in, batteries in and WOW what a world of difference it made, its more accurate, has better range and raster ROF now

still waiting on the handgrip though ( stupid delivery times )

one more thing, whats everyones optionions on .2g vs .25g BBs ? ive hard .25 are better all round but fire slightly slower

20. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

heavier BB will have a better trajectory in wind, will go through foliage better and loose it's energy a bit slower, so unless you are in CQB environment where distance does not matter - go with 0.25g or if your gun is over 110m/s@0.2g 0.28g bbs are worth considering. At least here majority of ppl moved to 0.25g BBs a long time ago and some are now moving to 0.28g.