1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress The APOC Project, (Update 8th Sept)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by sebtiger, 5 May 2009.

1. sebtiger

sebtiger CNC controlled Dremel I have

It is thanks, Im trying to think where i am going to put it afterwards. All my desks are too small. He he

I am marking out the holes for the motherboard mounts.

Thanks for reading so far

Seb

2. Connection|Closed

Connection|Closed New Member

Looking really good sebtiger!!

I followed your log on the cnc machine (modinator) on ebuyer and thought it was a great achievement and determination on completing it. It is now really paying off!!
    Want to do some custom work for someone near blewberton hill?

3. sebtiger

Well I can do within limits, but email me with some details and I will see what I can do.

4. sebtiger

Update 1st of June

Its been a while since I last updated, I've had a lot on my plate lately along with the hayfever season.

But here it is.

Had a small problem with my cnc machine a couple of weeks involving my dremel dieing. Turned out to just need a couple of replacement motor brushes. As the fault occured when it was cutting it snapped the router bit. So I had to order a new peice, luckily managed to source them from France rather than China so that cut down delivery, so in a week I was back up and running.

[​IMG]

The last remains of the carbon brushes that needed replacing.

During the cnc downtime I worked on the layout of the hardware in the main compartment. I also wanted to reduce the weight that the frame has to carry.

[​IMG]

I started off sketching out the motherboard layout. Then drilled and tapped the holes for the motherboard standoffs.

[​IMG]

This picture really gives an idea of the scale I am working to, dont worry that is not the psu I am going to be using. On the left hand side of the psu I plan to have a 240mm radiator with fans on. I will keep them separate though so that I can have it running with just the 120mm fans if I cannot source the watercooling kit.

Following this I proceeded with the weight reductions, I aimed to maintain the structural integrity of the panel. You will notice that I have not drilled or marked up any of the othe holes, this is because I am still thinking throught the ways to organise everything inside.

[​IMG]

Next I got back to filing, and finally after lots of boring evenings finshed the sides. Here it is set up on my desk, just so you have something to compare it to my desk is 80cm long. Plus its going to get longer by about a 20 cm.

[​IMG]

By now I had the machine back up and running and churning out parts that I needed to complete the main body along with some of the internals.

I designed and contructed a hard drive cage. Due to my plans to have a couple of 120mm fans at the front I kept a gap between hard drives in the rack. It left me room for 4 hard drives which in my eyes is plenty for the meantime. I have a few more ideas for additional space but I can sort that out another time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The roof of the front grinder was the next to come of the machine, you will notice that there are slots in the centre of them. These allow me to slot in the mounts for a laptop dvd drive that I am planning on mounting at the front.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That is the main body pretty much finished part wise, I have a couple more to add but that is not really a concern.

While the machine was inactive I worked on practicing some gluing. I started off with the rear section of the main body, not shown is the frame. Pictured is the backpanel, I have lined it up in the second picture to make things a little more clear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well thats about all for now,

I am busy working on the tracks now and should have the first one built by the end of this week. Thats the frame though not the actual treads, which I need to work on over coming. At the moment I am thinking along the lines of liquid latex so that I can mold directly into the right shape.

Thanks for reading and for all the great comments.

Seb

P.S. Connection|Closed, drop me an email and I will see what I can do

Last edited: 1 Jun 2009
  5. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Looking great! :thumb:
    Very nice attention to detail and the HDD you put in there looks... different.

6. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Well-Known Member

Ah, Hayfever, one of the few banes of my existence. Thank feck for Flixonase. Heaven in a spray-bottle.

Nice work Seb, been waiting on an update for this. :thumb:

7. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

You're lucky it was just just the bushings. Most Dremel meltdowns involve melting. The latex casting sounds interesting, but at the size you are working on wouldn't it be possible to build the links individually? -I know... time consuming, etc.
    Another possibility would be to build something around a set of bike chains.

8. DonT-FeaR

DonT-FeaR I know what a fk'n Dremel is ok.:D

hmm
    im gunna be making a rc tank soonish... and the idea i had for working tracks was a stack of hinges bolted and overlapped...

9. sebtiger

Update 10th June

Well I have been quite busy filing for this update,

Started off with some nice gluing. I had to sand down just above the pci slots as the little tab was having trouble fitting perfectly. Sorted and Glued. This is really the final part of the main body.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I moved on to the front tracks.

Been doing the front left track. It actually means I was doing both the left and right tracks seen as they are mirrored.

But the first main support is done. By this I mean the inner side of the track that acts as a leg for the main bulk. Take into account that is will only raise the body by 1.5cm. So that if it falls it wont go far. Still I think its more solid then I ever thought. I even doubt I will need the support I was planning.

Heres a picture of the joint. I havent cut the threaded rod down yet as my dremel was busy.

[​IMG]

And the same part stood up how it will when its built.

[​IMG]

Its hard to make out as everything is clear and weird but focus carefully and you will see what is going on.

Since my last update I have had a slight change in design. After taking in the scale of my whole project. I decided to move the hard drives out into the front track along with the psu into the rear track. Which gives me loads of room in the main body. Moving the psu back into a rear track; it will remove the weight from the centre part. It will also make it easier to get the power lead into and it will reduce the hinderence that is was causing with the layout in the centre.

I am also leaning towards is making the actual track part out of modders mesh (black with small holes, so that it looks black rather than clear). This will save me time and I reckon look much more fancy then a first attempt at rubber moulding, along with allowing airflow.

So after a few more days planning and some cutting

[​IMG]

This picture shows the two front tracks without the rear side.

I designed the hard drives to fit into the tracks and fitted those. In the mean time pulling my elbow filing so much.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then fitted into the right place.

[​IMG]

And here is the left track complete.

[​IMG]

I am so happy with this, it is a really really solid structure, I had planned some supports in but this really blew the idea out the water.

[​IMG]

I hooked it up quickly and it holds up the side easily.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So there it is so far.

I shall have the second track done shortly so should update soon with some more pictures.

Anyway, thanks for reading and for all the nice comments.

I will be back soon with some more update.

Seb

10. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I am in love with your work, one of the most intricate and complicated plexi mods I have seen to date.

11. DonT-FeaR

/\ yeah

and wow.. its so well done.. congrats man.. is great!

12. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

wow dude that is looking great... good luck, that ammount of plexi and detail would drive me nuts...

on a side note, there a log for the tower on your desk there? Kinda intrested to see what all is packed on the front/side there

13. sebtiger

Update 12th June

Hey

I know it hasnt been that long since my last update but I have been on a mission. I wanted to get the mainbody done and dusted along with 2 of the tracks. All of this while the other 2 tracks are rolling off my machine.

For a while I have been considering quite a strong aluminium struture on which the case would hang off of. To get a better idea of the situation I ordered a 90cm length of U channel to make a couple of braces. You can see below what I am doing

[​IMG]

The thing about bracing like this is that it can help me space the insides properly. The walls see are not secured at the top so were able to move freely making it almost impossible to secure the roof securely. More on this later.

I had a friend over the last couple of days who was helping me on a small movie editing project, I was the technical and she was the run around, matching timings and things. Anyway, while overlooking what she was doing to my video I was able to get down to some gluing. Although this is destroying the possibility of my video of a build up from parts timelapse. No bother

As you can see, once glued the structure becomes very ridgid unlike in previous pictures before the glue.

[​IMG]

Since my last update I managed to finish the second track for the right hand side, but I couldn't resist the draw of having a complete side. So here it is

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rear track in these pictures is actually going to house enough room to fit 3 full 5.25 bays, allowing me to put in an lcd screen, a standard dvd drive and a fan controller. Which solves hundreds of problems right of the bat. Mind I run the front panel on my xfi platinum, so I may still need to find room for a fan controller else where. No worries though.

Really happy with how it is going.

This morning I got on with making the second brace and added that in, I really wish I had smaller fingers would have made the whole bolting in much easier. Still I had my friend on hand. By these pictures I had managed to glue both side sections completly together, so the braces served to strengthen the entire stucture.

[​IMG]

I slotted the back panel into place, fits well. I was relieved when there was the gap I had planned between the lower plate and back panel. This allows lower tabs on pci cards to slot nicely into place.

[​IMG]

As a test to see how strong the structure was I picked it up and look, the bottom doesnt fall out, ahhhhhhh I was exstatic about this.

Me, will it hold?

[​IMG]

Yes It will, happiness set in

Me, your holding the camera wrong and you cant see the lower board

[​IMG]

Me, slightly bewildered and scared about how this is all going too smoothly

[​IMG]

Later this afternoon I was looking at fitting the front roof sections then noticed how the front walls were having trouble staying in line. So Thinking ahead, I am going to be putting in a grinding wheel. So, I put in a spindle for it which served as a brace for the front. Simples.

[​IMG]

Very moody looking, silly lighting.

Anyway, I stuck the glued the rear panel into place giving me a very nice structure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Look its so sturdy I can lift it on one finger.

[​IMG]

More seriously

[​IMG]

I built it in the mind that I could slide the lower plate in and out so that if extra holes, for watercooling and such where needed it wouldnt be impossible to access.

Still even without the braces (apart from the front one of course) the hole things holds together nicely.

Another update will be following shortly with the production of the second set of tracks.

Meanwhile I need to clear my big desk, I am running out of space to fit this behemoth.

Thanks for reading and thanks for all the great comments, plus I think my project log for my tower pc is on the ebuyer forums.

Seb

14. The boy 4rm oz

OMG, I never actually realised how big that was lol. Excellent work mate, really sturdy construction.

15. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

very nice! I just checked out the cnc build thread, I wanna do that! :dremel: If you don't mind a bit off topic, mind a quick recap on the setup?
    I believe you went with machined linear bearings, a driver and controller kit from china somewhere (links much appreciated), some stepper motors (chinese brand), and a bunch of mdf, rods and threads, and assorted hardware, oh yeah and a dremel with various engraving and spiral cut and other bits. ( think your setup could handle a router, with a wider collet?) What was your approx total cost? I believe you said about 300 euros?

16. bagman

bagman Well-Known Member

that thing huge!!!!:eeek::eeek: is it going to be a full scale model or something?

17. Picarro

Picarro New Member

Can anyone link to that famous CNC router? I am very interested in it :D

18. DonT-FeaR

Wow that's a lot of win!

Its soooo awesome

19. The boy 4rm oz

20. Picarro

Picarro New Member

That CNC machine is epic win.. I wish I could convince my dad that we need one :D