1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress The APOC Project, (Update 8th Sept)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by sebtiger, 5 May 2009.

1. sebtiger

sebtiger CNC controlled Dremel I have

Update June 24th

Well I have been busy working for this update, slogging through the rear section and finalising a few odds and ends.

Since my last update I have been coming up with ideas for mounting various parts into the case. You saw the new HDD mounts in the one of the previous updates. Where I had moved them into an outer compartment in one of the front sposons. I got thinking. Being surprised at quite how large the tracks were turning out to be I really wanted to make good use of the space.

So after some deliberation with my ebuyer chums I went with sticking some standard 5.25 drives and the psu into the tracks. So my last few cuts on the machine have been to achieve that. Since then it has been alot of filing. My elbow has taken quite a bashing and I am finding myself going to sleep physically tired. Not normal.

I have a large number of pictures to show in this update. Save you having to read to much.

The front right track with the new mountings in. I can fit 3 full size 5.25 drives in here.

[​IMG]

I am thinking of my dvd drive, xfi front panel and a fan controller/LCD depending on how I feel (more likely an LCD as I have a small addiction that needs satisfying).

[​IMG]

Next on my list was the rear left track (by the way I am talking from the perspective that I am driving the tank). This track is going to house the psu, the length of the track allows me to accomadate the longer psus that I might get in the future.

[​IMG]

Now in this short sentance I need to somehow convey that I was filing for 7 long days. SEVEN DAYS LATER

I picked up my work so far and moved it into the living room where there was a little more room to move around. I thought about the garden but it was getting dark.

Put it all together, wrestling with some of the holes, as they wouldnt let me bolt them together. It needed more filing but I was not in the state to file anymore.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the next few pictures I have highlighted the various modifications I made to the tracks,

The drive bays

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the new psu modification. Which is awaiting a single panel with the mounting holes that will allow me to attach the rear screws.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next couple of pictures I say are for scale but hell, I wanted to be in some of the pictures.

Lost the will

[​IMG]

Found the will, its so big that I cant fit in the same picture sat up.

[​IMG]

Moving on

Happy with my progress I wanted to get on the way with making the outer shell. Im not sure if I have mentioned it before but I intend to partially panel the entire tank in cereal box carboard to give me an idea of the amount of aluminium plate I am going to need.

If you have a sharp eye my enitire deisgn has had hundreds of holes put into each part. This part of the project is where I have been planning to use them.

Look at the front tracks on the tank to get an idea of where I am going.

[​IMG]

Giving you

[​IMG]

At this minute I am using an extra bolt to simulate the pretend wheel that I plan to put on the outer sides of the tracks.

[​IMG]

I have been very strict on the type of bolts I wanted. As I am building a "large" metal structure a bolt that simulates a rivet is needed. I managed to get hold of some M4 allen key bolts that fit the bill brilliantly.

[​IMG]

Next I got carfully forming the shape of the front track housing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At about this point I was putting it on back to front, so that had to be sorted.

[​IMG]

Using a pair of scissors and some masking tape I formed the shape that is formed at the rear part of a front sposon.

[​IMG]

Which finally gives you this

[​IMG]

On the inner side I am not really concerned about showing some of the plastic since it will not be seen, however it also gives me more room for routing cables and heat movement.

[​IMG]

The panelling in cardboard is not the exact way that the panels will look once in aluminium. The aluminium should hold a much better shape than the carbooard. It will also be made out of fewer panels, to save on material costs. Still It should give a clear idea of how my mind is working at the moment.

Thats all for now, I need to go and put my arms into some icy water.

Well thanks all every so much, thanks for reading and for the great feedback.

Stay tuned, my mind is ticking well on the way to coming up with the turret. So in the next few updates you will be seeing some turret.

Seb

[​IMG]

2. jrs77

jrs77 Well-Known Member

This is....

HUGE!

:jawdrop:

3. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

This is a seriously awesome mod.

4. DonT-FeaR

DonT-FeaR I know what a fk'n Dremel is ok.:D

awesome.!!!

looks really really good mate.

5. WolfandAngel

WolfandAngel Got fins?

awesome

it a shame that your closing it

6. ringo

ringo New Member

Good work, that will be a really huge case. How much acrylic do you need to build that case?

7. sebtiger

Mini Update 26th June

Thanks for the great comments I'm also glad its not just my jaw thats hit the ground about how big this project is.

Well this is really just a mini update that covers the work I did today. I am really happy with it all, so been a good day. Hence the update.

This morning I was busy cutting some special mounts for a friend of mine, which gave me a few hours in which I could plan a part that I have been looking forward to making for a while. Adding on the fact that I dont fancy starting the turret as I haven't quite rounded all my ideas off.

Come 2pm the mounts where done and I was ready to send my code to the machine.

[​IMG]

Can you guess what it is yet?

[​IMG]

At this point the doorbell rang, went to the door, collected a huge package. Guessed it was my aluminium plating. I was right. Really happy with they are nice and thin and look really flexible. The blue is just a scratch protector. £34 well spent. Aside from that check out the cardboard, its amazing. Some of the strongest cardboard I have ever seen. Really Really Strong I can't bend it with my hands.

[​IMG]

Ok back to the manufacturing.

[​IMG]

You should have a pretty good idea of what it is now.

2 minutes of poking and prodding

[​IMG]

Then 10 minutes of filing and cleaning and half an hour of threading the holes.

[​IMG]

Then the final picture, which I am in love with. This has to be one of the coolest things I have got my machine to make so far. Its to support 2 120mm fans and when ready a 240mm radiator too. Notice that it is also the Red Alert 3 font, little touch I wanted to add.

[​IMG]

Closing it? Whos closing it? Closing what?

So far I have used around 20 A4 sheets of perspex, but that includes all the mistakes I have made. So if I did it a second time round it will be around 14 or less.

Anyway thanks for reading.

Will be back soon. I worked out the number of parts I need for the turret so that should be taking shape soon enough.

Seb

8. Connection|Closed

Connection|Closed New Member

That's looking sweet, great work!

9. Stormeren

Stormeren New Member

nice project

10. WolfandAngel

WolfandAngel Got fins?

I mean this
    I like the acrylic structure if you cover it up you wont be abel to see it

nice fan grill by the way:D

ps: when its finished where are you going to put it ,on a tabel?

Last edited: 27 Jun 2009
  11. sebtiger

Hi all, sorry for the late posting of this update. I really wanted to get some more material into it before putting it up.

Its been a strange week in all, I feel that the project is really coming together now, my mind is working through all the problems I am facing and bringing up solutions.

Firstly the rubber for the tracks arrived towards the beginning of the week, havent been able to get away from it. Imagine the smell of a new bicycle inner tube multiplied ten fold, the top floor has smelt of rubber for ages. Not that I am complaining, i dont mind the smell.

I ordered quite alot of the material and may look a little odd.

[​IMG]

But this is what I am thinking.

[​IMG]

(he he, there is the early version of the recession mouse mat in this picture)

[​IMG]

The tracks will take a much more rounded shape when I get the braces in supporting it. I am hoping that the rubber will also serve to dampen any vibrations that are running through the frame.

I shall be bolting the ends of the tracks to the plating to keep them in place. Following with the design that came of the tracks tread, I have some extra rubber that I will cut the shapes out of then glue to the track surface for the effect.

Next I started on something a little more recognisable on a tank. The turret. This has taken a huge amount of planning to do. After days and days of going through hundreds of ideas in my mind for mounting the turret I finally came up with a simple yet I think very effective design.

Since the onset I have intended to incorporate a 120mm fan into the roof of the main body to help get rid of heat. So the pivot had to incorporate this. My idea I find has done this very well.

I cut out the first few parts, with the inclusion of a couple of parts that I later discovered were slightly wrong, I blame dad for using the last pages in my notebook, preventing me jotting the plan down.

[​IMG]

I had marked up the centre section by now and the roof cut-outs (saving weight and allowing heat to escape).

[​IMG]

Cutting this out was a chore, I must have been rocking out in 35 degrees in the garage, as it was the hottest day this week and I had had my machine and pc running in there all day. Couple that with the fact I have insulation up to keep me warm in the winter. I was boiling.

[​IMG]

I worked on the main 4 parts in my pivot to help me cool down. It was some fine gentle sanding and filing but it could be done in a slightly cooler living room.

These are the main 2 parts to each side of the pivot.

The inside, which also incorporates the 120mm fan mounts.

[​IMG]

Then the outer side of the pivot, which in my mind is fantastic.

[​IMG]

I am guessing the some of you may know where I am going with this. For those of you who don't, I am going with a sliding pivot. By sanding finely along the inner and outer edges of the pivot in the same direction of movement I am able to get the two to slide pretty freely along one another.

This should make it clear.

[​IMG]

So the inner flanges remain still allowing the outer ones to slide across them.

Now the little tab works in the way that when a 120mm fan is placed on the mounts turning the turret will be limited. This is so as the turret turns the tabs will hit the side of the 120mm fan preventing it moving any further. I have put this in to prevent any collisions with any of the inner structure and prevent the twisting of wires connected to the turrets internals.

[​IMG]

Following this I got to filing the support struts that will hold the pivot together. The two outer rails are actually inline with the central section of the turret. So by adding a few risers I can build some simple guides to follow when plating the turret. The supports are on both sides of the pivot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They are the correct width to hold the pivot in place making for a nice smooth movement.

I have made a small video that sort of summarises the pivot, the only problem is that it is a little quiet and you see and hear me. Dont laugh, well do, I did alot.

Now another big move I wanted to get into this update was a little bit of paneling.

You would have seen that I panelled one of the tracks with a cereal box. WEll taking this as a guide I commenced with some actual panelling.

Started out by marking out the hood with a 10mm overlap so that I could make a nice lip. Its so hard to make out but the markings are there.

[​IMG]

I got on with the cutting using my new ultra scissors (tin snips). It cuts so easily, I would probably say its like cutting cereal card.

[​IMG]

Once I had cut the first edge out, I couldnt resist attempting to make the lip. A combination of my metal and bendy ruler made it very pleasent to bend. (you can see the huge snips in the top right, i reckon they could easily cut a finger off)

[​IMG]

Once the folding was done, you end up with this, which is brilliant. Its so clean I surprised myself.

After a few more bends, and with a little folding I ended up with this.

[​IMG]

The rear side

[​IMG]

Im holding this bit in as it is in need of a bolt to hold it in place.

[​IMG]

As a summary,

[​IMG]

I am pleased with my first little panelling excursion. I reckon if I could be bothered to go to the garage, I could have used some of the surfaces and the various mallets and hammers I have to get a much neater set of bends. Still that is a job for another day.

Thanks ever so much for reading.

Also want to thank you for all the great comments, keep them coming.

Seb

PS, I just ordered 2 70mm diameter aluminum tubes. Can you guess what they will be?

[​IMG]

12. The boy 4rm oz

This is looking amazing, I love this mod.

13. Burnout21

Burnout21 Is the daddy!

back a while ago i fancied a go at forming sheet aluminium into a curved surface as an exercise on understanding the process.

Home brew technique i found best was a copper mallet and a cricket ball, i drilled the ball and bounded a 1/2in steel rod into it with epoxy clamped it in a heavy vice 2 inch above the vice jaws, and began beating on it.

What happens is in order to create sharp turns and tight rads it has to get ugly first, it looks aweful to look at unless you know whats going on, then the hours of carefully smoothing it with precession blows.

In the end i worked on it too much, thinning the aluminium to much and it cracked, but the whole expierence was a lesson anyway. Next time i want to play with an english wheel.

Nice project, i had an idea about the rubber considering you got more than you need. Cut out some chevrons and bound them to a main strip of rubber with rubber glue, this will give the tracks a more interesting appierence.

14. knottyc

knottyc New Member

we got anymore updates!

15. DonT-FeaR

DonT-FeaR I know what a fk'n Dremel is ok.:D

love it mate!!! really do cant wait to see more.

16. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

dude, you should mod a rc engine in to is because it looks like it will be that big. Then drive it to lans :D

looking good so far

17. sebtiger

Update September 8th

well hello all again, it's been a while. I have just spent the last 7 weeks in Austrailia which took a little longer to pass then I thought. But hey, here I am raring to go before I head off to uni in a couple of weeks.

Since my last update I have really been focusing on getting the panelling done. So that is what you are going to be seeing in this post. The process for panelling actually takes longer then it looks so progress might look a little slow.

Still I worked on the main body for the afternoon while mucking about on SSX3/On Tour with some friends of mine. I managed to order some nice button head bolts which should be arriving in the next few days, I really need then to help out with the panelling considering that at the moment the only way I can hold the panels to the frame is with my friends'hands.

Heres one side after about an hour of bending and shaping

[​IMG]

Well this is me working on the second side while carefully ballancing a poodle on my head.

[​IMG]

Bending it actually hurts quite a bit, so was on a temp break.

[​IMG]

These are the final pictures of the sides without the bolts put in mind.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well that is all for now, I'm happy to be getting back into this project.

Update you all soon

Thanks for all the nice comments to guys, you lot are all right.

Seb

18. The boy 4rm oz

The side covers are looking very good.

BTW, what did you think of Australia :D lol.

19. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Apparently, it made his hair curl up.:hehe:

20. Validus

Validus New Member

This is a really cool project. I'm really enjoying the detail so far. Keep it coming!