1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The (apparent) truth(?) behind the Sony vs Target Technologies lawsuit.

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Neogumbercules, 6 Jun 2007.

1. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Found an interesting read here about the finer details of the Target Technologies lawsuit against Sony and the apparently "patent monopoly" they set-up for their apparently corrupt lawsuits.

So, any lawyer types out there that wanna weigh in?

2. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

The guy who made the post sound like Sony would not be aware of what was happening and that this would be open and shut case if they could prove that Target has a "patent monopoly". I am sure Sony's high powered higher paid lawyers will be following the leads mentioned as well as others.

If what Target has done is indeed as stated in the post you linked to, they need to have their butt kicked ... And then countersued.

But then again, if American companies can patent genetic sequences which have existed in humans for thousands of years or basmati rice which has been grown in India for as long as people have lived there, why cant Target do this ?

Current patenting system needs a lot of work. Although in general it seems to be doing as OKish sort of job.

3. Neogumbercules

I agree on both points. If what Target Technologies is accused of is true, they need to get smacked, and the patent system needs improvement. Right now the patent system just seems like a complex tool you can use to sue someone. I'm sure there are hundreds of thousands of patents out there that actually protect their creators etc etc, but a lot of smaller organizations seem to try and use it as a way to extort money out of big companies like MS and Sony.

Edit: Huh, looks like the first post got deleted. Damn!

Double edit: Looks like the whole thread got mod smacked hardcore.

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

There's nothing in the logs or bin, Neo?! :confused:

5. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

i think he's talking about the thread he linked to...

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

7. Hugo.B

Hugo.B What's a Dremel?

And what'll you say when I tell you that among other things, Microsoft has patented the progress bar?

H.B.

8. Neogumbercules

Whoops, should have been specific.

Anyway, patented the progress bar? That's funny and sad, if true.

Tags: