1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

Discussion in 'General' started by mookboy, 13 Jan 2009.

1. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

I've just finished watching this film, and my goodness... how can I explain it? Spellbinding? Astounding? Devastating?

Anyone else see it? If you haven't, and you really enjoy your more intelligent and deep cinema, then I can't recommend it highly enough. If you don't like westerns, or if you don't like Brad Pitt... yadda yadda yadda... get over it and buy/rent this movie. Your life will be better for it.

The basic premise of the story is that Jesse James (Pitt) is in the final days of his career as a megastar criminal, struggling to cope with depression, self-loathing and paranoia. Robert Ford is employed with some of James' extended family to do a last train robbery and ends up tagging along in one way or another until... well, read the films title. Interesting twist is that Ford is a lot younger than James and has grown up in adoration of him through glamourised tales of adventure in pulp magazines (James is really a robbing murderer and general mentalist). His total obsession with him, gets warped and a general feeling of paranoia and fear ends up consuming everyone James comes across.

The acting is staggeringly good. Forget Brad Pitt is in it, because he is flawless, there's a couple of moments where he acts (this sounds a bit funny...) with just his eyes and it's just sublime. Casey Affleck who plays Robert Ford is astonishing - slightly creepy and weird, but put's in an astonishing performance. Aside from the two main characters, everyone else just puts in the most subtle, brilliant performances. It's be ages since I've genuinely enjoyed a movie for it's acting (probably Rushmore?), but this is good enough to make me want to rewatch it just for that.

I'll stop gushing and go do something else.

2. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

This movie is actually one of the very few movies i just stopped watching half-way trough out of boredom.

There is really nothing to keep my attention, and it really feels like the story is at a standstill.

The acting and filming is excellent, though.

I will give it another go sometime, just to see if it picks up. I have hard lots of good comments about it, so...

3. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

it was a decent enough movie, but a little long and slow for my tastes. i should probably give it another watch, try to catch some of the deeper meanings in it.

also, it was filmed in my town, and a bunch of my friends were extras :)

4. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

Just watched this the other night, it was really slow (and I actually was browsing/watching it). It was interesting on the point of the perspectives, and how Robert Ford was interepriting it. It does take a lot of creative license though and some things are out of whack/made up.

Overall interesting.
    :)

5. freedom810

freedom810 Member

I watched it, it was alright I surpose.
    Recently watched Blood Diamond, wow now that was a good movie.

6. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

It's definitely a type of movie that you have to be in the mood for. It is very long and slow (similar to Lost in Translation). But the acting is really good. I thought it was pretty good.

7. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Very long, and very slow. Might have helped that I watched it in three sittings I suppose. I think if these sort of ponderous films aren't your thing then you probably won't like it.

Last edited: 13 Jan 2009
  8. Angleus

Angleus New Member

Been meaning to watch this for ages, think I'll pick it up as soon as exams are over, cheers for the tip mookboy

9. dom_

dom_ --->

Fantastic cinematography. Really beautiful.
    I liked it.

10. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Whitelist Bit-Tech in your adblock!

It is beautiful, but as said above it's also very slow. I felt I could have just watched the beginning and the end and enjoyed it more than I did - the centre 50 minutes are painstaking, including many scenes that are totally superfluous to the plot.

Needs a good editor. The music, cinematography and script are solid, though, and I still love the last 15 minutes of it.

11. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

I am a great lover of deep and intelligent films - and was thoroughly looking forward to this before I started watching it...

BUT - too slow. I think it requires serious dedication to sit down and watch all the way through without wandering attention. My attention wavered during the film a few times - and I think I just missed a few bits and started getting confused. Acting was brilliant and all aspects of the screenplay actually, but it's just too slow to grab me unfortunately. Shame - I love westerns!