1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows The best Game you Have Ever Played ?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Kolyn_Kryw, 15 Apr 2008.

1. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

The original Quake still holds a soft spot in my heart, I still think the level designs are great - the bit where you open the Gold key door and a huge great big Shambler is waiting just behind it! the low grav Ziggurat Vertigo level! The Well Of Wishes...

the original UT was also great, played on that so much at one point that I could run around everywhere with the sniper rifle getting heatshots with every bullet...

Postal 2 is funny as f**k so gets a mention from me for that. First errand of the game is going to pick up a paycheck for Postal 1? Great!

San Andreas is brilliant for the replayability just cruising around doing random silly stuff. GTA: London gives me amusing nostalgia from years ago playing over LAN where a friend of mine with a pathological HATRED for Minis (or Myni in the game) would go on a vocal rampage whenever he saw one in the game!

Worms Armageddon gives good memories for a similar reason - notable for being the only game we could run at our mini LAN parties on my crappy Pentium 1 75MHz PC! Still have that somewhere... 517MB HDD!

ATM, current favourite two games are Tomb Raider Anniversary (liking the control system, visuals and faithful recreation of the original) and Devil May Cry 3 (Fun for the all out scrappiness of it! Bloody Palace is a great way to kill the time)

2. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

Lol what an open ended question

I suppose the 'best games' are not the ones with the most polygons and technical superiority, but rather, the ones which made you play until 4am even on a school night.

For me these were:
    Goldeneye
    Pokemon Blue (lol I had a torch... and spare batteries)
    Metal Gear Solid (and the sequel)
    Final Fantasy VII, IX and X (though not VIII...)
    Zelda. All of them.
    GTA III and San Andreas
    Halo (which I completed at a friends house. his mum hated me after a while)
    Gran Turismo and Need for Speed (particularly Most Wanted)
    Max Payne was perplexing
    Crash Bandicoot, though it was rather nauseating after a while
    Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter and Tekken, but only when friends were over.

COD4 was brilliant and fun, though just not THAT memorable. These days, you can find me with a torch hanging out my back pocket at all times. :rock:

3. bloodcar

bloodcar Active Member

A Link to the Past is the best Zelda game yet. Hands down.

4. Brett89

Brett89 Active Member

GTA 3, first real game I bought, sooo much fun.

5. cmberry20

cmberry20 Mad Scientist

trouble we got here is theres such a wide genres.

Can you say Final Fantasy VII is better that Zelda - LTTP? I couldnt call it, Both are in my top 20 games of all time.

So, I'm categorising them:

Racing: Gran Turmiso 1 (PS1)

Fighting: Street Fight II - Championship Edition (Arcade)

FPS: Halflife 1 (PC)

RPG: Final Fantasy VII (PS1)

Adventure: Zelda - LTTP (SNES)

Platform: Super Mario World (SNES)

But... If I had to pick one...... if a gun was held to my head & also to my entire families heads.... I would have to pick FFVII as my all time favorite game. :thumb:

6. cmberry20

cmberry20 Mad Scientist

Agreed... but Ocarina of Time is a very close second - its a photo finish!!

7. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

outright, without a doubt, undeniably Final Fantasy VII. Don't eve try to argue, nothing comes close. But a bit far behind that would be Metal Gear Solid and Ocarina of Time, then HL2.

Multiplayer? Team Fortress 2, its so refined and balanced that the maps seemed to have evolved to their current state rather than ever being designed.

And to all those saying COD4 multiplayer, you really have no idea, go and sit in the corner (and make use of that frickin martyrdom perk of yours)

8. WhiskeyAlpha

WhiskeyAlpha New Member

A Link to the past was the best game of it's era IMO. However, OOT just takes it for me. There's just something more complete, more Nintendo "magic" present than there was with it's SNES sibling.

TBH, I think all the Zelda games are amazing in their own right and it's common place for Nintendo fans to squabble over their favourite of the series thus far.

9. JesterQ

JesterQ New Member

You know i'd probably agree .. Metal Gear Solid - the first one was a close second.

10. lcdguy

lcdguy Active Member

For Story Line it's a toss up between Halflife2 (including episodes 1,2) and Deus Ex
    For game play - Smash Brothers Brawl

Top Ten

1. Halflife 2 / Deus Ex
    2. Freespace 1 / 2
    3. RTCW
    3. Call of Duty
    4. Call of Duty 2
    5. Medal of Honour: Airborne
    6. Guitar Hero
    7. Wii Sports
    8. Trackmania Series
    9. CNC Series (excluding redalert series)
    10. Act of War: Direct Action

11. Jordan Wise

hang on, wii sports?! thats not a game! more of an 'interactive' instruction manual seeing as it comes boxed

12. lcdguy

lcdguy Active Member

it's still a game, just a free one :D

13. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Fool! Wii Sports is awesome!

14. Jordan Wise

it isn't a game. to be a game you'd need some kind of end goal, something to work towards, and it doesn't have one. but less on that arguement, how the hell did it get into anyones top 10? That is beyond me

15. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

You don't need an end goal for it to be a game at all, there are several games that have no apparent end goal.

16. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Super Moderator Super Moderator

Zelda: A Link to the Past

Just played through it again this week, and I can confirm, its still the best game in history. Ocarina is hot on its heels, but I think I rate Link to the Past eeeever so slightly higher. (and for the first time I actually found every heart piece, every time I have played before I've always been missing one!)

I'll have to play through Ocarina next week just to make sure though. Whether to play it on the N64, GC or Wii, decisions decisions.
    And I'll be buying Twilight Princess soon just to make sure...

Notable mentions - Ultima 7/8, Syndicate, Morrowind, Total Annihilation, Goldeneye

Last edited: 18 Apr 2008
  17. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg New Member

One of the most popular games ever didn't have an end goal

18. Jordan Wise

yeah i realised that argument was flawed the minute after i wrote it, but i still don't think it qualifies as a game, mainly because its free but it does seem like a tutorial than a real game. I wonder what would have become of it if it wasn't boxed with the console?

19. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Well seeing as a lot of Wii owners just have a Wii and Wii sports it would have sold well, that's the problem Nintendo are having. They can sell the console easily, but they can't get people to buy games for it as they're happy with just Wii Sports.

If I remember right from a MS press release I read, the Wii had the lowest games per console sold out of all the new consoles.

20. Poisonous

Poisonous Incestuious

Lemmings
    Beneath A Steel Sky
    Worms
    Theme Park Hospital

Tags: