1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming The Best Games of 2014

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 29 Dec 2014.

1. IamJudd

IamJudd Well-Known Member

I bought alien and the season pass for 29£ which is half price... I thought that was a bloomin' good deal!

Ian

2. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

I think you mix up DS1 and DS2 here: The port of Dark Souls 1 is locked down to 600p and 30 fps. For both there is a very simple patch that was ready to download not two hours after the game was released. Even so it runs way better than it does on either console. Still it wasn't the best port out there, I'll give you that. But the devs stated from the very beginning that the port is terrible and they are only porting the game due to the great demand.

Dark Souls 2 has no problems whatsoever. It runs brilliantly even in 4k or eyefinity. It's no Crysis 3 but you cannot blame the game for that no?

The gameplay may look simple because it's not extremely flashy and fast. But it is surprisingly complex and difficult with a great many choices bringing advantages and disadvantages. There is a reason console gamers have been raving about the first gam for years despite its looks.

Dark Souls 1 is still one of the best games I have ever played, on a PC btw.

The only reason to not buy Dark Souls 2 is the Dx11 version coming out this year that will include all DLCs and your flashy graphics, for better or for worse.

(Oh, and the master race thing is satire. Please treat it as such.)

3. PingCrosby

PingCrosby New Member

Agree with the majority of your list, would be interested to know what your worst games of 2014 are and why

4. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

HEY!

I`m a Master race and I like this list, like I said in first post....

That being said, I`m lookin at it again and thought, why oh why Metal Gear is there.... I never played it but seriously....

The rest are OK.

Oh. And also personally, Divinity kinda suck to me. All those strategizing, chess-like playing. Not enough hack-n-slash. Heck I didn`t even really enjoy Dragon Age that much. Guess thats much too complex for an old fart like me.

5. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

If Elite Dangerous in its current state is the best game of 2014, then 2014 was a poor year for games.

It is now clear that the game divides opinion. There seems to be almost no middle ground. People (like me) look at it and go "hang on, that's just Frontier." Some people - maybe a quarter of people, I'd guess - think it's the best thing since sliced bread. It really does grab some people, and it really doesn't grab others. From my perspective it just looks as if the people who love it to bits are being terribly unsophisticated and failing to see the fnords, but I'm sure they'd have a contrary view.

On this basis I think it would be interesting to see some more balanced writing on it. I think it's fair to say that even if one personally really likes it, it's fair to accept that it isn't a 94% game in a review, and it isn't the best game of 2014.

P

6. DraigUK

DraigUK Member

Well we are all different and of different opinions.

What would your best game of '14 be? I'd probably hate it :D

Doesn't sound as if you've played it either in all fairness (might be wrong).

Despite it's current (and many) flaws I've been playing it since May, and despite owning and having played over half the games in the list, it is still the game I continue to put the most time into, and it's not even close - I've put hundreds of hours into it already since May. On that basis alone for me it has to be #1 despite it's flaws, as no other game keeps me playing after so many months and so many hours in it.

I'd agree it isn't currently a 94% game, but it could very well be in 2015 depending on the updates and any expansions that come out. The basis and potential is there for a truly exceptional experience, whether the devs actually go on to achieve that remains to be seen.

7. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Well-Known Member

8. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Member

Divinity: Original Sin is definitely my GOTY, with Southpark:TSOT coming in second...both excellent, and far far more fun than I'd anticipated either of them would be.

Shadow Run: Dragonfall was also superb, and I'm really surprised this didn't make it into the list.

9. Nexxo

Nexxo Queue Jumper

No you don't understand. It is the best thing since sliced bread because it is Frontier. :p

Basically it's Elite II Frontier: MOAR Edition. :thumb:

10. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

+1m

It is the game Frontier was supposed to be, and still in progress.

I disagreed with the review score on BT *because* it's still in progress, but totally agree that it's the best release in 2014 (not that I've played all the other titles, so as biased as anyone), and unlike those other titles that have a firm line drawn under them, this is a title that will keep giving for a good while yet.

Do we expect Pink Floyd or Mackenzie Thorpe to provide updates to their art as they think of them? no...and so it goes with most game vendors...but Elite Dangerous has some growing to do and aspires to do so, like some (but not all) MMOs. And if Frontier were to come back to us backers and ask for a couple more £s to help, I think I'd be inclined to chip in....

11. dolphie

dolphie New Member

I am not going to buy games I think are bad. Thankfully nowadays I can watch people play them on youtube and see what to avoid. I have played half the ones I mentioned though.

Not sure but pretty sure I looked up DS2 as well and the guy said it played horribly on kb and mouse so he had to use a joypad.

That post was 2 years ago... long before I knew anything about the game or before most people had even heard of it. Not my fault they ran out of money and released it, the concept was good. If you want to criticise me somehow you'll have to try harder than that.

12. Nexxo

Nexxo Queue Jumper

Basically the best way I can explain why Elite Dangerous is the game if 2014 for me is to quote a line from Tron Legacy:

"I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see. And then one day, I got in" --Flynn

13. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Well-Known Member

FLAMER!!!

14. Panos

Panos Member

Amen.

Elder Scrolls Online was far superior that all of those games, and having clocked hours mounting to thousand atm, it beat most of those 8-10 hours life expectancy games.

15. pbryanw

pbryanw Member

I'm not going to talk much about Rick's list, except to say maybe there should have been links to the Bit-tech review for each game mentioned.

I Just wanted to say thanks to Rick for making me read Bit-tech's game coverage again after Joe Martin's able stewardship. I've enjoyed reading Rick's stuff this year, here and on Eurogamer, and hope I'll be able to continue to read his stuff on Bit-gamer in 2015.

And I'm looking forward to what the new year brings - more RPGs hopefully - if Witcher 3 and the new Zelda are any indication it looks like it's going to be a good year ahead.

Last edited: 1 Jan 2015
  16. rollo

rollo Well-Known Member

Elite is not a mmo you can play it solo if you so desire with no penaltys for doing so. It will get updated content just like alot of other none mmo games get diablo been the biggest example of this. Star Citizen will be a mmo.

2014 was a strange year for games with most of the big budget titles been poor to average. Outside of the WOW which I seem to spend more and more time in. My most player title by hours is still football manager.

Last great RPG I played was probably the orginal dragon age. or Final Fantasy 4/6 the remakes they did of them.

Dark souls 2 on pc is a real pc game. Physics engine now runs at 60fps.

Divinity orginal Sin went from Broken to awful to very good. I got in the early pre alpha of it and kinda regreted it its been steadly improved on since then.

What Id like to see less of this year is steams Early access stuff to alphas and things that have been going around. Way to many Indie games are getting rushed to early access on steam and not been improved on enough to merit the investment. ( Kickstarter does similar stuff, Just look at the investment for Star Citizen, We have 1 mode to play from a game that orginally had a q3 2015 release schedule)

Galactic civ 3 for example has been in alpha since early last year and has not shown great improvement to what should be a very good game when its completed.

17. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

the best moment for me in Stick Of Truth was fiancée walking into the room while I'm playing and asks about the game. I explain that most of the enemies are Nazi zombies and she rolls her eyes in a "wow that's predictable", and not 2 seconds later one of the government agents guys yells in frustration "why did it have to be Nazi zombies? It's so over done!"

18. RickLane

RickLane Staff Staff

Won't do a full article on this. But here's a quick list of the Worst Games of the Year, with links to the reviews. Because I love you guys.

The Elder Scrolls Online:
    Takes the worst bits of The Elder Scrolls and MMO games, and combines them into one bland, revolting cocktail.

Sacred 3: As bad as a game can get without being broken in some manner.

Goat Simulator:
    A joke that went too far.

Murdered Soul Suspect: The developers had a great idea, but after that they apparently called it a day.

Dungeon Keeper Mobile:
    Why God why?

19. jimbok11

jimbok11 New Member

Nice roundup +1

Tags: Add Tags