1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming The Best Games You've Never Played

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 28 Dec 2007.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I think the Fallout games are massively appreciated - especially with Beth on board for FO3.

As for Loom, it got on the list because its unusual, inventive and clever, plus a great game to play - but I think it's eclipsed out but other Lucasarts games. People (like me) hacked their DSs and PSPs for Sam and Max, Monkey Island, Broken Sword and Day of The Tentacle. Flight of the Amazon Queen, The Dig, Full Throttle, Simon the Sorceror and Loom were secondary concerns.

It was admittedly a hard choice between The Dig and Loom, but Loom won in the end. It may not be as long and character-driven, but it feels[/i[ more epic at the end and has a lot of inventiveness behind it. A lot of people are attracted to The Dig because it was presented by Spielberg (and is the remnant of a film he couldn't get funding for), but Loom is largely forgotten about because of the awkward nature of the interface.

Longest Journey was a game myself and Andy toyed with putting on the list but, in the end, we decided that like Psychonauts, it has heroes elsewhere to champion its cause. I can't authoritatively speak on it either as I never finished it because of the stupid stealth bits.

2. Gunblade

Gunblade The Frugal Chef

The Longest Journey or the sequel Dreamfall?

3. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I started to play dreamfall and found it tedious.

4. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

KKND? Awesome game :)

5. CardJoe

Dreamfall.

KKND - a game I remember there being a big hubbub about at the time because of the title, but I think MDK grabbed my attention more using the same premise :p

6. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

Yeah the stealth and fighting sections were a bit pants, I persisted and enjoyed the rest of it immensely though. Love the robot bear(?) so much. :blush:

7. Gunblade

Gunblade The Frugal Chef

Yeah, thats what I thought. The Longest Journey is a much better game. The sequel was a huge let down with the fighting bits and what not. If you ever get the chance The Longest Journey is still a good game the graphics even hold up like Deus Ex does.

8. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I player pretty much a full year Nethack in the school. It was a booring year and after watching letters move around the screen for so long I felt disgustingly nerd. I guess it beats flash-games on long-time use..

9. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Joe you suprised me. I was expecting you to refer to the Loom reference in the Scumm Bar in the original Monkey Island.

Great list, looks like I might have to go shopping soon :)

10. -:: M@ ::-

-:: M@ ::- Testify!

Well that article rang true, only this morning I downloaded and replayed Beyond Good and Evil from Metaboli (legal :) ) Then I log on and read this article....weird

11. knuck

knuck Hate your face

to the best games no one ever played list i'd like to add a non-pc related game

Tetris Attack

[​IMG]

:rock:

12. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I've played Beyond: Good & Evil, just after It came out IIRC.

13. Cadillac Ferd

Cadillac Ferd What's a Dremel?

Definitely some great gems on there. I was inspired enough to go out and download a copy of The Neverhood and man.... amazing. I strongly suggest everyone go locate a copy! Now to get it to run smoothly in Windows Vista...

14. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Loving Beyond Good and Evil so far, only problem I have with it is the controls/interface/menu are a bit clunky compared to other PC games, it's fine for a console game but they didn't bother to update it for the PC. A minor annoyance though, the other problem is it doesn't like dual cores, and alt tabbing out to set the CPU affinity makes a cm strip above and below the game window to constantly flash between the black strip of the game and my desktop. This one is a bit more annoying as it's quite distracting.

15. CardJoe

Can you not create a boundary which runs the game with the CPU aff. preset so that you don't have to alt-tab out?

16. RaptorRed

RaptorRed What's a Dremel?

Fahrenheit

I cant believe only Joe has mentioned Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy the whole control system and mental element makes it superbly atmospheric and the central duality of playing opposing characters at the same time is very original, plus the story is great. And the Dig Ive been trying to find a copy of that for years. Another game I realy like is Fragile Allegiance a strategy game based on asteroid mining with inter species diplomacy, trade and war thrown in for good measure.

17. CardJoe

I got a copy of The Dig when a friend of mine was clearing out his room almost a decade ago. You can sometimes track it down as abandonware or as part of a lucasarts compilation pack on eBay.

18. DougEdey

Have you ever played Armed and Dangerous Joe?

19. CardJoe

I have a copy of it, but it never looked worth the time. It any good?

20. DougEdey

Very understated packaging and advertising. I can imagine it being your kind of humour. The cut scenes lag a bit with the 360, but it's more then playable

Tags: Add Tags